Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Brainstorm: Hard Brewing Mod

(1/5) > >>

Button:
So I had this idea because I was planning out a tea industry. Since the differences between varieties of tea are in how they're prepared, the preparation steps were going to have to be a lot more complex than those for brewing (pick fruit, brew); but then, why would you ever brew tea?

Which is when it hit me: alcohol preparation can be complicated too!

Here are some things I need help with:

* Aging. Is there a way to transform a plant growth or material into another state only after it's been around for a certain period of time?
* Effort vs Reward. Some of these brews are going to take years to create. What are some ways to reward the player for creating them, beyond just material values?
* I'd like to simulate the domestication of tea from wild trees to domesticated bushes. Is it possible for a plant of one type to produce seeds for another type?
Suggestions for anything you'd like to see in a hard brewing mod are of course also very welcome.

UnicodingUnicorn:
1. Unless you want to do reaction chains, which take time, no. I think.

2. Syndromes giving stat boosts and the like.

3. I doubt so, but I'm not too sure.

And you have my interest with the tea part.

Vattic:
You could have a reaction that takes the brewing ingredients and produces an item which melts at any temperature with a high specific heat. It should slowly melt into a glob which can be used in an automatic reaction that produces a barrel of finished booze. You'd need DO_NOT_CLEAN_GLOB to avoid the obvious. Not sure how long you could make it take.

Depending on how you are processing the plants you could have the reactions occasionally produce a domesticated seed as well as the undomesticated ones. You could even chain it so you go wild > semi-domesticated > domesticated; Each level would only produce seeds from it's own level and the level above.

Button:
Oooooh, thanks Vattic. Those are some great ideas!

Zorbeltuss:
1. Vattic has got a good answer on this but I do not.
2. You could give the booze a mild numbing syndrome, which might help your dwarves stay in combat rather than passing out aside from the stat boosts Snail555 suggested.
3. There was a discussion on this a while ago (probably no more than a year but I'm not certain), you can use a reaction to make seeds of another plant in a workshop, you'd probably wouldn't want to use it directly on the seeds of the first plant though because that would make it very easy to just set up a few workshop orders and do the whole chain of reactions in one go from undomesticated to slightly domesticated to domesticated (or whatever chain you choose), the problem with this path is that there will  be a lot of extra plants in the raws and it adds complexity to the player without actually giving the player any unique experience of doing it, I need to sleep now but if I remember I'll try to find and link the old thread on the subject.

Edit: I could not find the thread, also I was apparently too tired to see that Vattic answered the third question too.

/Zorbeltuss

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version