Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Dominions 4 - Round 12 (And We're Up!)  (Read 19018 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dominions 4 - Round 12 (And We're Up!)
« on: November 21, 2014, 03:30:01 am »

tompliss - Kujin (Unexpected Nation #1)
Boksi - Thule
Hellheart - Shao Limb
akirilus - Li'Telor (Unexpected Nation #3)
AlStar - Skamianiela

Game's up! Bay12GamesRound12

Ok, so I saw a neat idea on desura - basically, players draft up a nation, each player picking a unit/commander with each unit ID being unique. I'm actually involved in a draft now, although I'm finding that the desura player base is a little too flakey for this - we're almost a week into choosing, and we're still only halfway through picking the first unit (the scout.)

Hopefully the fact that Bay12 isn't (generally) filled with people who say they'll join games then disappear into the void will allow us to make a successful draft. Hell, at the current rate my other draft is going, perhaps we can draft, play the game, and write up after action reports before I finish my desura draft.

So the draft is broken down into a number of categories:
(Note for all picks - units must not be summons (ie: they must have a gold/res cost), and, at least for this draft, must be chosen from the national rosters. Any sacred units (with the sole exception of the 'Normal Priest' pick) will default to capital only.)

WE WILL BE DRAFTING FROM THE EARLY ERA

Normal Scout - anything that's got #stealth, cannot lead units, and has no magic.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Normal Commander - anything that's not holy, has no magic, and can lead units.
Normal Priest - anything that's holy, and has no magic.
Commander Slot#1 - The world's your oyster, you can pick anything. HOWEVER, remember that sacred units default to cap only.
Troop Slot#1
Commander Slot#2
Troop Slot#2
Commander Slot#3
Troop Slot#3
Commander Slot#4
Troop Slot#4
Troop Slot#5
Pretender
NOTE: By default, the starting army will consist of the Normal Scout and Normal Commander, with 250 gold of each of your two cheapest troop choices. By default, your nations PD will consist of your two cheapest troop choices, led by your Normal Commander, then your two more expensive troops choices led by a commander slot of your choice at 20+ PD.

After we've gone through all this, all players get 5 points of 'perks' which they can use to do the following:
1 - Change any troop that is capital only to be available at any fort.
1 - Change any troop (resources >5) that is fort recruitable to be non-fort recruitable (foreignunit).
2 - Change any troop (resources <= 5) that is fort recruitable to be non-fort recruitable (foreignunit).
2 - Change any commander that is capital only to be available at any fort.
2 - Change your starting army to a commander and two unit choices worth 250 gold each of your choice.
2 - Change your PD to commanders and units of your choice.
3 - Change any unit into a commander. (this will make most units 40 leadership, plus have item slots)
3 - Change any commander into a unit. (Note: units lose magic paths)
3 - Make something sacred. (Note: this will make it capital only, unless you pay additional points.)

So, anyone interested?

Current players:
1) tompliss - Kujin
2) Boksi - Thule
3) Hellheart - Shao Limb
4) akirilus - Li'Telor
5) AlStar - Skamianiela
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:25:29 pm by AlStar »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 - Round 12 - Let's Draft!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 11:55:54 am »

anyone interested?
Yeap.

Question, though :
Era (as in 4, 5, or 6 gems per turn) ?

What about the other settings ?

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:39:09 pm »

Hmmm... I'm already in 2 Dominions games, plus EotFS, but I really want to do this...

Oh, what the hell, sign me up.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 10:26:02 pm »

I have like a billion reservations about how broken this format becomes, but to be fair that's kind of the point.

In.

anyone interested?
Yeap.

Question, though :

I think if we pick from one era we should play in that Era, unless players want to run an EA game in MA to allow for decent numbers of foreignrec troops. Magic site freq should be 45 regardless.

I think if we open up to all Eras, it should be LA with 45 magic site freq. Maybe even 50? Troops could get really broken really fast in something like that.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:35:27 pm by Hellheart »

akirilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:26:49 pm »

I would give this a shot.  Seems like a lot of reading is in order.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 11:48:23 pm »

Unless you're going to let autocalc refigure the price or somesuch, is there any time this could be an economically viable idea? 'Cause I certainly can't think of any. Unless you're combining it with the "choose your own PD!" to do something stupidly exploitative, I suppose.

(Or maybe something like Revelers or Skeptics, though that also falls firmly under the "stupidly exploitative" heading...)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:55:26 pm by E. Albright »

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 12:03:22 am »

Unless you're going to let autocalc refigure the price or somesuch, is there any time this could be an economically viable idea? 'Cause I certainly can't think of any. Unless you're combining it with the "choose your own PD!" to do something stupidly exploitative, I suppose.

(Or maybe something like Revelers or Skeptics, though that also falls firmly under the "stupidly exploitative" heading...)

It's pretty much "stupidly exploitative" or nothing, but for 3 points it better be. 3 points is enough to make any troop foreign-recruitable.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 05:05:52 am »

It may be useful for ex-commanders with very special abilities (like the casting second-soul unit that can spawn with the units of Ragha), right ?
or maybe, yeah, something "exploitive", like healers, or disease inducer stealthy units, etc...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 09:26:42 am »

Posting to watch. But not to join, since I'm not certain about how enjoyable this will actually be...

Also, how would things like national summons/reanimating be handled? You have to spend perks on them or will they just be ignored to simpify things even more?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 09:39:27 am »

Also, how would things like national summons/reanimating be handled? You have to spend perks on them or will they just be ignored to simpify things even more?
Currently I'm leaning towards ignoring them to simplify things, but I might look into 1 perk for 1 national summons spell.

Question, though :

I'm figured we'd try to agree amongst ourselves. Personally, I'd vote for playing in the middle era. And I'm honestly not sure if we should choose from all eras (so much potential for brokenness) or just pick one. If we do pick one, I'd probably go with early, since it's got some of the most interesting units.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:57:35 am by AlStar »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 10:04:01 am »

Personally I like picking from all eras, but if we don't have a lot of players maybe one era might be better. Also, questions:
How will we pick the drafting order? A snake draft or something else?
And I guess you didn't include an option to make a commander foreign-rec on purpose?
EDIT: Will we not draft pretender chassi as well?
EDIT2: If I pick jaguar warriors for troops, they'll be cap only because they're sacred. I can pay one point to make them fort-recruitable. Can I then pay two points to make them foreign-recruit?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 10:34:52 am by Boksi »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 10:48:06 am »

Personally I like picking from all eras, but if we don't have a lot of players maybe one era might be better. Also, questions:
How will we pick the drafting order? A snake draft or something else?
And I guess you didn't include an option to make a commander foreign-rec on purpose?
EDIT: Will we not draft pretender chassi as well?
EDIT2: If I pick jaguar warriors for troops, they'll be cap only because they're sacred. I can pay one point to make them fort-recruitable. Can I then pay two points to make them foreign-recruit?
Random for first pick, then snake after.

I was advised that allowing foreign-recruit commanders might be massively broken. However, I'm willing to hear cases for doing it (and how many picks do you think it's worth?)

I'd been planning on just giving all pretenders to everyone, but we could certainly do a pretender draft round - actually, sure, that sounds good. I'll put that in.

Yes, that's correct - you'd pick jaguar warriors, then it'd cost two picks to make them foreign-recruit. Edit - sorry, three picks - they only cost 4 res.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 10:57:13 am by AlStar »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 11:37:59 am »

Alright, thanks for the answers. I'd be surprised if whoever got the first troop pick didn't pick jaguar warriors, though since you still need a temple to recruit them it means you wouldn't automatically want to make them foreign-rec. I'm not particularly interested in making foreign-recruit commanders, but if added it'd be at least 3 picks, if not 4. I mean, LA Ulm is one of the strongest nations in the game right now because of their foreign-recruitable mages with excellent late-game paths that turbocharge their research, combined with good troops that make their early-game strong as well.

EDIT: More questions! Will non-sacred cap only units(troops and commanders) continue to be so when drafted? Will foreign-recruit units likewise keep their status?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:26:17 pm by Boksi »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 12:57:47 pm »

EDIT: More questions! Will non-sacred cap only units(troops and commanders) continue to be so when drafted? Will foreign-recruit units likewise keep their status?
Hmm, it all depends on how I set them up. I'm tempted to say that any non-sacred unit will default to fort-recruit, and you can pay for them to become foreign. However, I'm willing to hear arguments either way.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 01:05:01 pm »

Well, cap-only non-sacred units have their stats and price set to what they are because they're cap-only, so I don't see any reason not to keep them that way...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15