Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a skill threshold where Dwarves prefer drills vs. sparring?  (Read 1164 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile

I have never started with a completely green squad.  There has always been at least 1 Dwarf with the desired weapon skill who would start beating up all the recruits.  My latest Fortress does not have that luxury.  The squad is Active, with 2 minimum training, and 10 orders per month to ensure no slackers.  However, thus far all of them are on either individual drills or watching dodging demonstrations.  The current batch of wildlife topside is a bit too !FUN! for these guys, I feel, so live training exercises will have to wait.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a skill threshold where Dwarves prefer drills vs. sparring?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 09:13:00 pm »

I'm not sure, but anecdotally, I seem to notice my squads sparring more frequently after they've gained a bit of experience. Early on, it's usually drills and demonstrations.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 12:05:22 am »

Likewise. My forts usually get to the point where my squads are almost constantly sparring, though my squads are set to have 4/5 dwarves doing so via orders. I'm not sure if there is a hard line where they will significantly choose to spar more often, but it's definitely more prevalent in more skilled squads, and I'm led to believe that skill levels, as well as attributes, impact spar frequency. Side note, does anyone know how the organizer skill affects military? I suspect that higher levels for organizer would directly relate to how training is scheduled (Drill vs. Spar).

Anyways, my dwarves typically don't spar much at all early on, but then again I usually only allow combat drilling 'till everyone's at least proficient in their weapon skill. I might have heard a rumor once that combat drills help with something that sparring doesn't, and now I'm paranoid... I think it was discipline?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 12:12:35 am by Scarlet_Avenger »

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 12:32:24 am »

I don't know what the skill level is exactly but in my experience dwarves start to spar around the time they become "axedwarf" or whatever instead of just recruits.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 01:33:31 pm »

Thanks for the info :)  Hopefully the latest incursion will encourage my next batch of recruits to train a little harder.