Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles Mission Thread - GAME OVER! See first post.  (Read 46908 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

It's difficult to keep up conversation out of the water, but Atlos sees going back in isn't really an option. "Follow me... I have a mobility unit, should hold both of us... a bit cramped... but perhaps you can then get into my spare pressure suit."

Atlos leads the stranger thataway.

[2] There is hardly any room for the Rtalis pair inside the fish tank. You are forced to squeeze together uncomfortably while pressing your bodies against the glass and pulling yourselves along with your graspers in order to get at the spare suit.

Slowly, but surely though, you get the suit on. The suit has a built-in communicator, allowing you to still talk to the stranger.

"I've been in that pool for so long, I probably don't even know how to walk anymore."
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

((So she slapped Nerin's closed hazmat suit faceplate? That's gotta hurt her hand if it exerted enough force to knock him over.))

Nerin scoots away from the blobs. "I /Highly/ recommend you get tested Dr. Chance. If you have nothing to hide then why are you resistant to it? We are dealing with a class three biomatrix outbreak. If this were a KX9 controlled station, you'd be disabled by a security grid by this point while a test is taken. Any suspicion is enough to warrant testing. As has been shown, the biomatrix can selectively assimilate. There's no reason not to test and every reason to do so. Being defensive only makes you more suspicious."

"Don't attempt to attack Nerin again Chance. None of the guards nearby are equipped with the firepower required to disable Combatform for more then half a minute. Suspicion is the proper way to go with this. If you have nothing to hide, then why refuse to get tested?"

Valrak then addresses the person talking about drones.

"I don't mean drones, although they would be used for deleting whatever biomatrix was infesting the ship. No reason to risk organics. C&C ships have a number of visual ways for transmitting data to crew. The walls, floors, and ceilings can phase between color on demand, they're just a bunch of computer monitors technically, and the majority of KX9 have perfect color differentiation, so biomatrixes could be highlighted in whatever color needed. Camouflage wouldn't work since it can just shift faster then the matrix could produce pigment. The monitors are rather useful for other stuff as well. Gaming, tactical displays, ship map can be called up on demand, easy access to written files. And so on."

"Speaking of computers. The blobs are going into the computers in the lab. What do?"

((Swarms are good in some situations but not all. You want larger ships for counter capitals, sheer firepower, logistics to slave the drones to, and a number of other things Larger non C&C ships are run by KX9 bred AI or volunteer HPU (HPU are Human Processing Units, and yes, the KX9 breed their AI rather then program them. Results in more diversity in the minds. Programmed AI have been deemed inferior to AI that make new AI with one another by the KX9.) so they can operate as task forces away from C&C or in the event of a disabled C&C. Small drones tend to not have a long battery life if they're firing weapons repeatedly. Even if they're solar powered or using future!powersources. Not to mention they can't carry large weapons. The larger droneships are both weapons platforms to counter similarly sized ships and motherships, where hundreds, or in rare cases thousands of smaller drones can latch on and recharge midcombat, or ride in or on during travel. They can function as a layer of reactive armor as well for the larger ships on top of that. Specifically armor that shoots back and gives chase if you try running after you realize the hull isn't just oddly shaped and is in fact several hundred drones now flying at you.))

((As for the decentralization ftl comms issue, the KX9 issuing commands are usually synced by a 63 if there are multiple logiforms. Commands sent are the result of multiple minds pondering on the best choice.))
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:48:37 pm by Kevak »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nerin scoots away from the blobs. "I /Highly/ recommend you get tested Dr. Chance. If you have nothing to hide then why are you resistant to it? We are dealing with a class three biomatrix outbreak. If this were a KX9 controlled station, you'd be disabled by a security grid by this point while a test is taken. Any suspicion is enough to warrant testing. As has been shown, the biomatrix can selectively assimilate. There's no reason not to test and every reason to do so. Being defensive only makes you more suspicious."

"Fine, I'll head to another ER. I am staying out of that party, though."

"Don't attempt to attack Nerin again Chance. None of the guards nearby are equipped with the firepower required to disable Combatform for more then half a minute. Suspicion is the proper way to go with this. If you have nothing to hide, then why refuse to get tested?"

"You can take a charged particle beam to the face? Cool story."

Dr. Chance walks into one of the secondary ERs and calls a worker to take a blood sample. A quick insert into the analysis equipment on the wall and she comes out clean of biomatrix, although Nerin spots some curious structures in a microscope view on one of the device's screens. Small, starburst-like objects moving about, entering and exiting blood cells at will. The blood cells aren't noticeably affected by the passage, but Nerin only sees a couple seconds of video before the screen shuts off and Dr. Chance emerges. One of the techs leaves the room with her holding a bundle of papers the equipment just printed out.
"Dr. Chance is clear."

"See? I'd be pretty clear if I was infected considering you've been scanning the whole time."

((Note, in terms of positioning, the Scanner is currently located at the security checkpoint to the clinic, just in front of it so that it's looking out into the store. You are currently inside the clinic. The labs are just ahead past another checkpoint.))

Valrak then addresses the person talking about drones.

"I don't mean drones, although they would be used for deleting whatever biomatrix was infesting the ship. No reason to risk organics. C&C ships have a number of visual ways for transmitting data to crew. The walls, floors, and ceilings can phase between color on demand, they're just a bunch of computer monitors technically, and the majority of KX9 have perfect color differentiation, so biomatrixes could be highlighted in whatever color needed. Camouflage wouldn't work since it can just shift faster then the matrix could produce pigment. The monitors are rather useful for other stuff as well. Gaming, tactical displays, ship map can be called up on demand, easy access to written files. And so on."

"Speaking of computers. The blobs are going into the computers in the lab. What do?"

"Huh? The computers? It can't subvert electronics, thankfully. It didn't develop in that sort of environment. Although a few of our own have suggested drafting a version that can interface with circuits, that's a long way off. We don't understand it well enough."
"Get one of the lab guards and shoot the computer with a plasma gun. That should do the trick. As for those in the bag, uh... someone stick a box over it and put something heavy on top of it."

A lab guard with a large weapon marches out and approaches the desktop computer section. Customers and staff alike back away from what is effectively a soldier entering their midst.

((Swarms are good in some situations but not all. You want larger ships for counter capitals, sheer firepower, logistics to slave the drones to, and a number of other things Larger non C&C ships are run by KX9 bred AI or volunteer HPU (HPU are Human Processing Units, and yes, the KX9 breed their AI rather then program them. Results in more diversity in the minds. Programmed AI have been deemed inferior to AI that make new AI with one another by the KX9.) so they can operate as task forces away from C&C or in the event of a disabled C&C. Small drones tend to not have a long battery life if they're firing weapons repeatedly. Even if they're solar powered or using future!powersources. Not to mention they can't carry large weapons. The larger droneships are both weapons platforms to counter similarly sized ships and motherships, where hundreds, or in rare cases thousands of smaller drones can latch on and recharge midcombat, or ride in or on during travel. They can function as a layer of reactive armor as well for the larger ships on top of that. Specifically armor that shoots back and gives chase if you try running after you realize the hull isn't just oddly shaped and is in fact several hundred drones now flying at you.))

((As for the decentralization ftl comms issue, the KX9 issuing commands are usually synced by a 63 if there are multiple logiforms. Commands sent are the result of multiple minds pondering on the best choice.))

((So she slapped Nerin's closed hazmat suit faceplate? That's gotta hurt her hand if it exerted enough force to knock him over.))

((Nah, it's more like Nerin walked backward to get away from her and tripped. He wasn't physically knocked back. Also dice mechanics. You rolled a 1. :P))

((Syncing commands is a good way to get around the interference problems. There's other ways to solve it like timing your signals and rotating your transmission privileges so that no two vessels are authorized to send a command at the same time. It's just an issue that requires a lot of organization to solve, and creates problems when two navies both use tachyon-based communications, so it's hard to rely on it during actual combat.

Basically, Tachyon comms are really easy to jam. So no navy relies too heavily on it. Just transmit gibberish with a big enough transmitter and nobody can receive messages without a huge antenna to gather a large sample with for noise-filtering algorithms. Of course, that's if you know the enemy fleet's location. But if you're in combat you can know who to beam and render a ship unable to receive commands. That would basically make a remote drone without a backup option useless, but obviously the drones would have a backup option. It would hinder their ability to organize attacks across the systems though.))

((Larger ships would be more well-suited to a production roll or a tanker role. Something that stores fuel, materials, and spare parts in a sense. Basically a moving station. What you don't want is throwing your vital ships into the battle without armoring them, and an armored ship needs a tanker to supply it or it won't have much travel range.

Solar power doesn't generate much energy over short periods of time. It could power a turret that stores power over years and burns it over hours, but for a drone that sees constant battle

Antimatter would work for stuff like pumping lasers or catalyzing fission, but actually generating usable electricity from antimatter is a significant engineering hurdle since most of its energy is in the form of gamma rays, charged pions, neutrinos, muons, etc. Containing the reaction is also tricky what with non-interacting particles that don't decay into energetic products until they travel several kilometers.
Not to mention antimatter is only an energy storage method, and a really poor one at that. Unless you find a naturally occurring source of course, which I'm open to in this setting.

Most of your energy will probably be nuclear, either fission or fusion. Antimatter could catalyze both, although I think fission would be ideal for drones due to the ease of containing a non-critical mass of fission fuel. Fusion would require sophisticated refrigeration and storage systems for the helium and deuterium, while uranium pellets smaller than a critical mass are basically harmless.

Of course, it could be some exotic power source altogether. As long as it's not ridiculously good I'll probably allow it.

The point of the fluff about FTL comms is to provide a limiting strategic factor. You will always need some kind of organization, and if it's decentralized, it has to be completely idiot-proof. You can't depend on a system that anyone with a transmitter can jam from light-hours away. Then again, an omnidirectional jammer would be pretty inefficient. And using tachyons as a radar doesn't work since they pass through matter. So that complicates things.))
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:30:50 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Any idea what these things are? I'm tempted to believe you, buuuut I wanna know if you know what these are. Definitely not nanomachines." Nerin brings up the recording of the starburst majiggers going in and out the blood on the computer."

"Yes actually, I can. Be an ass to regenerate since I would need to shed the necrotized and charred flesh, which probably would take about half an hour, and since it would heavily damage facial tissue, face would be messed up till I got that fixed or sat down for a few hours to manually carve off and regrow parts till it looked normal again, so another few hours for the optional fixing face, and the shot would probably blind me to visible light for about three hours since eyes are fairly complex structures to rebuild, even with directed reconstruction, although I could simply use my sensor suite to see in the other spectrums, so I could do that whenever, I wouldn't die or be disabled though beyond a bunch of suppressible pain and the need to get replacement ocular implants to bring my sensory system back to normal capacity. Really would be an arse to regenerate though. Unless you have antitank grade weaponry, the majority of the damage would be diffused by  underskin armoring and damage suppression nanomachines and none of it would hit the brain. I would definitely need to eat a bunch though to produce the material and energy required to repair the damage. I'm not bred for frontlines combat, I'm a 51b, smarter then 51a's and more built for retrieval, bodyguarding, and coordination of squads, if I were a 51a, I could take a missile in the chest and laugh it off soon as my lungs were functional enough to laugh. Whiiiich for a 51a, is about forty minutes of hibernation while replacement implants installed for whatever got slagged by the missile. As it is, I'm a 51b, which means considerably downgraded regen and a touuuuch less strength for more smarts, a better instinctive overall tactical understanding, and better reflexes."

"Actually. Could I get a guard to just follow me around and shoot the blobs I point out? That would probably be efficient since you proooooobably don't want me carrying around a weapon. Also. Are you sure they can't interface with computers? Recent behavior makes it seem possible."

((Support ships are classed under Auxiliary Drones. Mentioned that a few posts ago. Obviously tachyon radar wouldn't work. However having small sensor/picket drones that spread out across a system and relay passive or active sensor data to the fleet via tachyons would work.))

((Attack organization can easily enough be handled by onboard AI and HPU should they be cut off. And the drones all can handle themselves easily enough. should their mothership be blocked off.))

((Depending on the type of drone, it'll either have a huge battery. An onboard generator of some kind. Or something intended to be overloadable and explode massively. The first kind would be tiny drones intended to screen missiles/initiate boarding/harry similar small ships/provide point defense. Second would be actual combat drones intended for ship to ship engagements, as well as other drones. Third would be suicide drones most likely, although smarter and able to shoot a few times to weaken shielding and armor before impact. Technically there's a fourth type the KX9 are looking into which is basically just a big fucking gun that can hop between KX9 ships and use the dronemounts to draw power to fire. Buuut that's just an Experimental right now. Its powersource is currently up in the air since various models are being tried. Not even counting the Vampiric version of it that attaches to disabled ships and noms their powersource to shoot.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Here the Doctor is probably being lighthearted. Particle beams are extremely deadly and cause a lot of collateral damage, since they tend to scatter. They'd also probably kill the nanites in addition to regular tissue. They're basically terror weapons.

Keep in mind that a direct hit from a plasma bolter would probably outright fry most of your electronics. Nasty thing those are. They'll 1HKO most characters not wearing armor anyway, and armor should protect against most of the damage as you don't have current flowing through you.))

"Any idea what these things are? I'm tempted to believe you, buuuut I wanna know if you know what these are. Definitely not nanomachines." Nerin brings up the recording of the starburst majiggers going in and out the blood on the computer."

"They are. Most of us have them."

"Technically they're engineered pathogens. But they have a lot in common with nanomachines in both form and function, so you could call them that. Most of us have them."

"Each person's nanites contain copies of their own DNA. The nanos constantly inject the DNA into cells they encounter. It's extremely virulent, but since it doesn't reproduce or copy itself there is very little chance it'll actually cause trouble since it's technically a virus. But it makes us immune to most other viral infections. Great for when we handle biological contaminants."

"Actually. Could I get a guard to just follow me around and shoot the blobs I point out? That would probably be efficient since you proooooobably don't want me carrying around a weapon. Also. Are you sure they can't interface with computers? Recent behavior makes it seem possible."

"We tried giving it circuits, even basic ones, and it never did anything with them. It doesn't do anything with more advanced circuits either."

The lab guard blasts the computer. Upon taking the hit, the computer erupts into a shower of sparks and metal vaporized by the sudden arcing around the point of impact. Dead, charred blob tissue pours out of the computer. Also, the desk catches fire, and a random civilian starts rushing for the extinguisher on the wall.

"The property damage is going to upset the bosses... but yeah, go ahead. Point out the blobs and have them blasted. Also, while we don't want to clear out civilians since they could be infected, we should get everyone to spread out and stay away from each other and furniture. Actually, it might be best to just test everyone and purge the whole store. Bradley, go announce that."

Bradley follows close behind you as you enter the store in the hazmat suit.

"Everyone listen up! There's a harmful infectious substance loose in the store. We're going to evacuate the store and clear things out, but we'll need everyone to head into the lab to get tested. Guards will escort people in one by one. Try to stay apart. Meanwhile, two of our staff are going to look around and deal with what we find. Stay clear of orange blobs that roll around on the floor toward you."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

((Damnit, you ninja'd me))
((Well, they could just shoot him repeatedly.))
((Did we ever set an upper bound on how long Rtalis can survive without buoyant support against gravity?))

"Oh, you never really forget. But feel free to hang onto the outside, mind the treads, we'll make better time. Let's try to find some clean water for you soon, though, hm?

Atlos contacts the others. "I have an update. There is a poison in the water, it seems to cause paralysis or at least sluggishness, either through respiration or on contact. It seems to have dyed the water teal. I believe it to be a chemical, rather than biological agent. There is something else, though. I have discovered another of my kind here, and there may be others in captivity."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Ah.))

"Could potentially have not interfaced intentionally. Seems to have done a lot of things it didn't intentionally show."

"That's a good idea actually. Huh." Nerin transmits the concept to the very few KX9 insysten and through the worldgate to be relayed to a Researchden.

Both Nerin and Valrak continue scanning. Valrak points out blobs to the guards. Nerin points out nearby blobs in the lab as well.

"Should have someone go look at the water in the treatment facility if HQ is reluctant to cut off the flow. Also check in on the people supposed to be watching. If I were trying to spread a contaminant via water. I would remove the watchers.. How long does it take to cycle into the main water feeds?"

"Also.. Why were the blobs in a bag in the trashcan?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Bump for Toaster, HEN, Dwarmin. I cant update this for a while until later today, but I'll bump it now just for everyone's convenience))

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"So that's what he's doing. The saboteur is attempting to poison the water supply. This would have drastic ramifications for the station and it's inhabitants." WARDEN then pauses to think, though to others it does not seem like a pause due to his different timescale.
"Recall however, that our mission is to cripple SpaceInc, which this person is doing. Perhaps we should attempt to contact this person to help further both his and our goals."

((Not going to make an action yet until we get a little bit more coordinated.))
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"We are to cause Minimal Civilian Casualties. Not Maximum. We have been told collateral damage is to be avoided if at all possible."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Not to mention it rather hinders my efforts to snoop around the plumbing. I am also rather concerned by what I have heard from my fellow here, who seems to know something about corporate espionage."

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Hmm, I was under the impression that humans and their offshoots had a concept called 'Attribution.' I suppose I was not applying it correctly, so do tell... whose fault is it if noncombatants are hurt by a potential bio-hazard outbreak?"
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"This is a Class Three biomatrix and likely evolving to Class Four. It's Sapient and intends to spread. At this point. The mission matters less then containment of bioweapon grade biohazard."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Welp, no idea where to go now)

"I get the feeling there may be many such things afoot on this station, of equal or perhaps even greater danger. How do you say? Something smells rotten."

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Hmm, there is a possibility that the bio-hazard could spread beyond the station. However, while the Guild can contain the threat, we are only 6 people infiltrating a station. What could we do to contain the virus?"
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31