Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles Mission Thread - GAME OVER! See first post.  (Read 46978 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

"You know, the nice thing about being a bred and built for combat is anything short of an antitank round would to jack shit due to my regenerative abilities. Another nice thing about that, is I can overstress my muscles as much as I want without any real damage. Not to mention being able to turn off my pain receptors on demand. I highly advise that you don't provoke a fight. You cannot win. You have a large number of bladed weapons. Provided they're your property. I personally give no fucks about them. There is an atmospheric bloom soon and I would rather not be stuck on the station with a Highly Infectious Biomatrix because you decided to pull a stupid and assault a Combatform. Common sense dictates that you deal with the issue quickly and efficiently. Aka behaving, locating whatever ship you're flying on, and skedaddling. Like any sane person would be doing when on a station with a plague."

[4] The "Galorian" manages to control his anger, but only just.
"You speak like a teenager of the human species. I do not beat children."
As you let civilians pass through, the alien removes his coat, revealing his scales underneath. The coat does not appear to be hiding knives at all but is rather too thin to have any compartments at all, which means that either you were fooled by some kind of trick, or the knives are inside the creature's belly.

Speaking of the alien's belly, it appears to have several tube-like structures protruding from spots on its chest, all leading to a single cylindrical piece of metal--no, plastic, metal would show up on your scans--embedded within the abdomen. The cylinder flashes whenever the alien moves, and you notice that the tubes themselves also transmit monochromatic glowing signals across their lengths at speeds much higher than traditional reflexes. If fact, you only notice that the flashes propagate up the tubes because you can playback the video at a slower speed.

The alien marches past, having revealed what was under his jacket to quell any suspicion about his having knives under his coat.

Nerin then messages the Duke. "..There appears to be a whalesnakething attached to the headquarters module. Mayhaps you will want to get out of there.."

You hear the Duke cursing loudly, along with other chatter from inside the conference room. Some are screaming "the secret is up!" and other accusations against SpaceInc, while others seem to be trying to justify their efforts.
The gist of the argument is that SpaceInc fabricated human rights complaints against itself, in order to try and hide the space whales from scrutiny. The idea is that people are a lot more interested in spying out some "top secret area" than conducting espionage against slave workers. The atmosphere of Ulysses is also a boon, hiding the whales from sight, except during blooms. That's what the lockdown is for. Of course, now that the secret is out, the lockdown is unnecessary, and some of the conference members are protesting against its continued use.

[4] You locate the ship and its crew, and they seem like a nice bunch. One of them seems to be an explorer who has traveled to many systems in his time.

(Note: The Rtalis word often translated as "Serpentine" would translate more literally to something like "Rtaloid")

(Rtalis) "It somewhat reminds me of my uncle Avlakos..."

(Team) "A tremendous serpentine organism appears to be attacking the headquarters. The stranger and I may be delayed."

[5] It seems you may not be delayed after all. There is an organized effort by roughly half the citizens to leave the room and try to find a place with emergency pressure suits and the like, first checking the headquarters infirmary. There is enough room in the trams for the other half, and so you manage to catch a seat for yourself and Akatin.

((Still waiting on Toasty.))
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:01:33 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

(Ooh, an explorer! Mayhaps there will be stories to exchange, one explorer to another)
Get to the dock, post-haste!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

No time to deal with this the subtle way.  Deuce pops open the door, then shines the flashlight into the eyes of everyone present.

"Why are you people still here?  Are you crazy?  You need to be getting to the docks, now!  Do you WANT to be infected?"

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No time to deal with this the subtle way.  Deuce pops open the door, then shines the flashlight into the eyes of everyone present.

"Why are you people still here?  Are you crazy?  You need to be getting to the docks, now!  Do you WANT to be infected?"

You ambush your targets, surprising--only one, really. He wields a huge gun, which he points at you immediately. You hear the pull of the trigger multiple times, but the weapon does not fire.

"Wait... you're not with the rebellion, are you?!"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

((Oops))

Deuce shook his head.  "Chill, man!  No, I'm with security and monitoring.  I'm making sure everyone is out of this section like they're supposed to be.  Why are you still here?  We need to be GONE."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Oops))

Deuce shook his head.  "Chill, man!  No, I'm with security and monitoring.  I'm making sure everyone is out of this section like they're supposed to be.  Why are you still here?  We need to be GONE."

"Micky got stabbed by this rat thing... we need to catch it or else we'll get fired. None of us can use the guns without Micky though... they were right about the control mechanism."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

"I don't think you understand!  Half the station is overrun with riots and the infected!  If you don't get your ass moving now, you're a dead man!  Forget whatever the hell it is; it's dead anyway!"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"I don't think you understand!  Half the station is overrun with riots and the infected!  If you don't get your ass moving now, you're a dead man!  Forget whatever the hell it is; it's dead anyway!"

"But it could be listening to us right now! And it knows the guns don't work!"

Ziggo contacts you: "Hey Toasty, where are you? Have you run into any targets yet?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Hmm... must be the wrong guy if he can't hear us?

"What part of riots and infections disease are you missing?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm... must be the wrong guy if he can't hear us?

"What part of riots and infections disease are you missing?"

"Fine, fine, I'll just walk down here. Are you going to get the oth-"

You turn your head to see why the guy just stopped talking. He collapses after a short while, with a certain someone hanging on to the back of his neck, using poison claws to finish him off.

"Perfect! You led him right into my trap! You see, I was in that vent right above. I needed him to walk two feet so I could come down. Now let's get moving."

Deuce and Ziggo are accounted for.
Nerin and Valrak are currently at the ship.
Atlos is currently accounted for.
WARDEN is currently exiting the emergency elevator, near the police station. [4] He is able to rendezvous.
McMarlo is missing.

The team, except for McMarlo, all arive at the Conqeror. They are allowed onto the passenger deck and then into the hangars, where the shuttles are clamped. The five infiltrators board an obnoxiously red transfer shuttle shaped like a wedge, similar to a "Star Vanquisher" from everyone's favorite historical fiction trilogy. Inside, the pilot greets every one of you.

"Welcome to the Conqueror! I trust that our host has been most kind to you sirs? He appears to be having a few problems at the conference."
One of you asks who the sixth is. Then, in some overlooked corner of the interior, on a bench, appears McMarlo out of the dark. "Guess who?"
"I honestly can't help but say I'm a tad disappointed at the outcome," he twirls a ring of twelve or so keys around in his hand.
"I got keys to most of the buildings in Alpha Complex. But I'm sure I'll get some extra pay for my efforts!"

Plunging out into the darkness, you witness the might of the giant, serpentine space whale constricting its body around the headquarters module. A massive filter resembling that of a baleen whale from the Terran aquaculture takes up most of its mouth, while biolights and vapor geysers dot the rest of the creature's body. It appears to be forcing its way into the headquarters, first inserting its tail into a torn section of hull.

The holographic windows also support a head's up display, which displays the location of the Conqueror's crew currently on the station. You see one dot, shaped differently from the others, fairly close to the hull breach. It's Duke Corbin. The pilot sets the comms to play through the intercom.

"Montreux, your orders are to get these people to safety no matter what the costs. I will find myself an atmosphere suit and handle myself."
"Acknowledged," replies the pilot.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 01:09:46 am by _DivideByZero_ »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Now that transmission is possible, tell the guild that, with a biohazard outbreak, they might obtain permission to board the megacity under pretext of providing support.

Get a water-filled container for Akatin.

"Perhaps. Gentlemen, I'm glad to see you've all made it back safely."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Nerin offloads all data he can remember from the course of the mission to the groupmind. Which is effectively everything due to shortterm photographic memory. Some KX9'll get a kick out of watching a spacewhale wreck a megacorp's station. Prolly a lot of them will. He then pings the guild watcher ship for pickup.

Probably around time we head back to KX9 space, the TAHG Test is in a couple weeks. As is your.. Monthly cycle. Pondering and focusing bleedover, as well as a slight embarrassment at the last bit.

Yes, we should. Definitely not a good idea to be in human space for the cycle. Amusement. The TAHG is also a good reason to go back. Be nice to have access to more then just orbital drone assets on demand.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

"I brought back a laptop connected to their secured system network, but that probably isn't worth a whole lot any more."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

"That station is FUBAR. I don't think the laptop is gonna be worth anything."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As SpaceInc's pride descends into madness, our party can see the station through the side windows of the shuttle, in all its dying glory. The presence of space whales is noticeably absent from local records and information centers. Nerin is able to find a single reference on a leak distributed by an anonymous account, which contains all of SpaceInc's research data on lifeforms in Ulysses upper atmosphere. It seems that the story about worker conditions were false--the station was using the whales as a means to purify helium-3, and planned to optimize their procedures for use on other gas giants. Everything is there on the leaked records, business plans, experimental results, and maps of drone control centers. It is likely many of these will fall into the hands of scavengers and opportunists, signalling the start of a competitive and non-monopolistic business setting. Capitalism ho!

Nerin and Valrak recovered valuable data for the groupmind, especially the information on gas giant lifeforms. Such occurrences are either rare in the galaxy, or some forces actively conspire to keep them hidden. Either way, this data will be useful for generations to come.

Atlos was paid generously for his services. He made every effort to keep the group's actions from harming civilians.
Akatin was provided free transit to Tau Ceti, where most of his former colleagues worked toward forming Tau Ceti e into a habitable world.

WARDEN ran into some trouble when the quartermaster discovered his mission logs. But the reconnaissance information he supplied was more than enough.
Deuce's laptop contained some valuable information regarding employee records, which actually helped track down one notorious criminal from a system 110 parsecs away.

As the rescue ship's drive flares into existence along the ecliptic plane, our mission comes to a close.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31