Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles Mission Thread - GAME OVER! See first post.  (Read 47017 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles Mission Thread - Roll 4
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2014, 01:44:39 am »

Thank you.

Nerin and Valrak approach the researcher and professor.

Wouldn't be both more efficient powerwise and efficiency wise to use a high frequency sonic emitter to discourage screechers? Electrostatic systems have a tendency to mess with other electronics and tend to drain more power then they're worth compared to a sonic emitter which will only give the occasional person who can hear in that frequency headaches.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2014, 05:27:26 pm »

Thank you.

Nerin and Valrak approach the researcher and professor.

Wouldn't be both more efficient powerwise and efficiency wise to use a high frequency sonic emitter to discourage screechers? Electrostatic systems have a tendency to mess with other electronics and tend to drain more power then they're worth compared to a sonic emitter which will only give the occasional person who can hear in that frequency headaches.

[1]

The professor laughs, while the researcher makes a smug grin.
"Ha, we tried that way back when we built this place. Funnily enough, sound based systems don't work well in space. I wonder why." says the professor.

The researcher explains more calmly.
"They're called screechers because that's the sound they make when the attach to a ship's hull. They don't actually make any sound normally, and they certainly don't have ears. We're still trying to understand their communications, and thus far we think a healthy dose of ionized metal particles will disrupt the chemical pathways they use for their bioluminescence."
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 06:21:08 pm »

Ah, thought you were talking about the terrestrial insectile species of pest insect, not the spaceborn shipnommers. Couldn't a low power automated focused beam emitter discourage latching? If they use bioluminescence, then they have eyes and bright lights could potentially disorient them, emitters could target them based on the patterns they use as they attach, or even just the specific section of the electromagnetic spectrum they use. The ones that aren't discouraged would be fried in short order by the beam heat output.

((If I get another one or two, coooould I perhaps get a reroll since the dice clearly hate me~?))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 07:12:16 pm »

"They don't eat vessels. The males attach to the surface thinking it's a female. The females are nothing more than a navigational hazard."

"I get the feeling you don't know what we're talking about. Are you an employee?"

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2014, 07:18:28 pm »

"Nein, not an employee, no KX9 of Civcore currently has any affiliations with SpaceInc, if I recall, a few Reaearchcore do and possibly a Scoutcore or Combatcore, but currently no Civcore. And you still didn't answer the question of a focused beam emitter."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2014, 08:15:22 pm »

"As I suspected. We've got no business discussing this with you."
"Lasers aren't economical. Too much work to protect their sensitive electronics from the radiation belt."

The professor looks at the researcher obtusely.

"Well I like his ideas. A bit impractical, but he tries."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2014, 08:30:48 pm »

"Technically, something one KX9 knows transfers to all KX9 in time. We are a hivemind you know. Fingers on a hand~ You have KX9 employed~" ((Technically a white lie, but most humans wouldn't know that KX9 are a psuedohivemind and not a normal hivemind~))

"Perhaps electrified hulls? Most KX9 ships are built with that to discourage boarding parties during battles and give the ships several extra layers of redundancy for power conduits. Lot easier for a ship to keep working if you can power components through the hull if the power conduit is destroyed. Not all ships though, some of the ships are weird. They don't always like it. They say it feels a lil odd. But the normal metally ones tend to be fine with it. Although wouldn't really be useful for currently built ships. Would need a whole new hull, which would be an arse to make."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2014, 09:34:48 pm »

"Electrifying your hull has a whole host of complications associated with it. That's why we're trying to build the most efficient way to do it possible."
"Must be one stupid hivemind," the professor remarks. "That or you're lying. To electrify means to pass a current through. You clearly don't know what you're talking about."
"I think what he means is that the hull contains some sort of modular network of power conduits that can selectively pass current through specific points. If you cover your hull in plates that are insulated from each other, you could put a lot of voltage across two plates and zap anyone that's touching both. Wouldn't work for palm-sized floaters, and boarding parties don't generally grab onto the outside of a ship's hull, but I presume the hivemind has to contend with some sort of enemies that require special treatment. It would make for an interesting way to attach components and stuff to the hull, though the maintenance requirements would be extreme."
"Bah, obviously the kid's just watched too many shows. I mean seriously, electrified hulls? Nobody would call it that. Voltage is relative after all."
"True, making the hull one contiguous charged piece is a really stupid idea and won't accomplish much."
"Let's get moving then."
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:38:19 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2014, 09:49:52 pm »

"Generally a lowtech spearhead boarding craft that impacts the hull for a breach will be touching multiple conduits. You'd be surprised how many newly spacefaring races use those. Not to mention KX9 ships tend to be rather fickle with their forms, they like having as much control as possible and due to this, they tend to design their forms oddly, we do not design them, excluding the experimentals. Maintenance costs don't exactly matter due to the absolute lack of a physical construct of the abstract concept of work within the KX9 Collective. Anything can be recycled. A broken part can be reforged. Only cost is energy, and of that we have plenty."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2014, 10:19:56 pm »

((I'm assuming the containers arriving near McMarlo are the same ones I saw?  If not, disregard this post))

Deuce, tagging along behind the oxygen, sees it come near McMarlo and his crowd.  Hey now, this is a distraction...

Watch and wait.  If an opportunity presents itself, make off with the tanks back the way they came.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2014, 10:43:01 pm »

Sneak close to him and pounce. Try and slice his neck where the helmet doesn't conceal it. If Ziggo can't, aim for somewhere not quite protected.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2014, 03:04:23 am »

((I'm assuming the containers arriving near McMarlo are the same ones I saw?  If not, disregard this post))

Deuce, tagging along behind the oxygen, sees it come near McMarlo and his crowd.  Hey now, this is a distraction...

Watch and wait.  If an opportunity presents itself, make off with the tanks back the way they came.

((Different one. Yours is heading into the complex. I suppose I made it unclear--there is a lot of traffic heading to the complex, but not out of it. The othersare in the lobby, not the complex.))

The tanks are big. They are cylinders about 0.5m in diameter and 1m tall. Hauling one stealthily will incur a -2 weight penalty.

"Generally a lowtech spearhead boarding craft that impacts the hull for a breach will be touching multiple conduits. You'd be surprised how many newly spacefaring races use those. Not to mention KX9 ships tend to be rather fickle with their forms, they like having as much control as possible and due to this, they tend to design their forms oddly, we do not design them, excluding the experimentals. Maintenance costs don't exactly matter due to the absolute lack of a physical construct of the abstract concept of work within the KX9 Collective. Anything can be recycled. A broken part can be reforged. Only cost is energy, and of that we have plenty."

[4] The researcher maintains his interest, despite the processor's protests.

"I do not see how that would matter. If the boarding craft's outer hull were conductive, its inner sections wouldn't be affected by the current. If the voltage here high enough that it would cause significant damage to a piece of armor, you'd have vacuum arcs between the surface plates."
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:10:21 am by _DivideByZero_ »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2014, 03:19:08 am »

"Of course, officer, it shan't happen again." Now having avoided immediate compromise of the mission by causing an insurance incident, Atlos thinks of a way to free WARDEN. He waits for the noise to subside somewhat before offering to have his robot perform tricks, on condition the children give the bot some space.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2014, 03:55:44 am »

"Correct~ Quite pretty to watch from a drone actually~ More of an aesthetic thing though, chaff launchers would be more efficient for discouraging boarding craft. The ships just like how the lightning feels. Sorta like how we feel when we scratch an itch from what I understand."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2014, 09:10:48 am »

"Woah, careful with that tank, fellas-Liquid Oxygen is highly explosive." Commented the Ravenian in earshot of the mob, completely innocently.

McMarlo strutted off as parts of the mob began to fashion makeshift weapons and battering rams-he figured they had it from here.

Next on the agenda, economic destruction.

He began to whistle. He was an Avian, so it was quite a pretty sound.

Action: Off to Will's, Bill's, and Bently's Brokerage Services!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:12:52 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31