Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to set up "learning game"  (Read 2997 times)

Larzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to set up "learning game"
« on: November 22, 2014, 04:01:29 pm »

Hello !
My last game turned from very good game to total disaster, FUN in few moments.
Actual story here
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I dont know how 75% of Masterwork workshops works and i want to test them all.

I need help with:
lower amount of immigrants.

Have some population cap. I have default 200 ..... suggest me number please so i can cover all industries,research.magic,guilds etc. but don't have any extra idle mouth to feed.

No invasions, ambushes, thieves. I can turn invaders off in masterwork launcher ...it will be enough or i should turn off enemy civilizations in civilizations tab ?

I turned off Aquifers,Fear The Night,Secret FUN!,Diseases and Harder farming ,mining,learining and smithing. Do you suggest any other settings to turn off for learning ?

Also any idea how big embark can i play without lag on i7 3770k?(i think 3x3 is small but i dont want FPS issues).

Should i change something in world creation ?

Please dont think i am a pussy i just want to learn how all workshops work (and finally establish metal and cloth industry!).

Thanks for any response.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to set up "learning game"
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 04:50:22 pm »

From what I see, you don't have the basics of vanilla DF.

I know that all the features in the mod sound interesting and all, but DF is a game that requires a lot of learning to be able to understand what your options are, and how to do all of the basic things.

What I recommend in this case is to learn with vanilla DF (maybe not the version 40.x if you plan on learning quickly and switching to the mod).
There are a lot of tutorials to learn all of the mechanics, from the basics of digging/building, to the complexity of sorting systems through minecarts, including military, traps, tips on how to start (depending on your starters and plans)...

For example, migrants are tied to wealth, but enemy attacks are linked to that too.
Waterfalls, many people, too many items, fires are some of the things that impact FPS a lot. (by the way, having 16 cores doesn't help at all for DF, as it only uses one, sadly)

Playing without invaders, both work, but know that you won't be able to turn the ON again, it tends to make forts later on a bit boring.
What I personally do is a complete wall off as soon as possible, making it possible to play mostly without invaders, and I restrict my wealth as much as possible until the wall is complete.
I tend to use DFHack tricks to even build walls to the border, to allow for a safe-ish passage for the caravans, with a safety bridge just in case.

But really, there are way too many things, and just textually explaining doesn't really help understanding, I'm afraid.
You are going to loose a lot of forts, some of them for reasons as stupid as forgetting to brew booze, flooding your main hall, releasing the clowns from the circus...

If you are dead on staying with MDF, I'd say to play with the humans, they are way less "all over the place" than the dwarves, and have access to technologies from most races.
Only downside being that you will need to build outside, rather than digging underground, and quarry-mining is your way to mine stone and metals.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 05:31:50 pm »

I have to agree. What you describe is normal DF behaviour and is not influenced by modding... that being said, if you disable invasions, you shouldnt be attacked at all.

You can also raise your starting embark points and group size, that way its easier in the beginning to just play around.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Larzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:58:14 pm »

From what I see, you don't have the basics of vanilla DF.

I know that all the features in the mod sound interesting and all, but DF is a game that requires a lot of learning to be able to understand what your options are, and how to do all of the basic things.

What I recommend in this case is to learn with vanilla DF (maybe not the version 40.x if you plan on learning quickly and switching to the mod).
There are a lot of tutorials to learn all of the mechanics, from the basics of digging/building, to the complexity of sorting systems through minecarts, including military, traps, tips on how to start (depending on your starters and plans)...

For example, migrants are tied to wealth, but enemy attacks are linked to that too.
Waterfalls, many people, too many items, fires are some of the things that impact FPS a lot. (by the way, having 16 cores doesn't help at all for DF, as it only uses one, sadly)

Playing without invaders, both work, but know that you won't be able to turn the ON again, it tends to make forts later on a bit boring.
What I personally do is a complete wall off as soon as possible, making it possible to play mostly without invaders, and I restrict my wealth as much as possible until the wall is complete.
I tend to use DFHack tricks to even build walls to the border, to allow for a safe-ish passage for the caravans, with a safety bridge just in case.

But really, there are way too many things, and just textually explaining doesn't really help understanding, I'm afraid.
You are going to loose a lot of forts, some of them for reasons as stupid as forgetting to brew booze, flooding your main hall, releasing the clowns from the circus...

If you are dead on staying with MDF, I'd say to play with the humans, they are way less "all over the place" than the dwarves, and have access to technologies from most races.
Only downside being that you will need to build outside, rather than digging underground, and quarry-mining is your way to mine stone and metals.

I dont mind play without invaders, its just learning.I want to learn how to set Masterwork industries, but i will sure try humans.
I dont want play vanilla...i am interested in new/better workshops from Masterwork.

I will watch more tutorial, read more guides and keep in mind "LOSING IS FUN"

I have to agree. What you describe is normal DF behaviour and is not influenced by modding... that being said, if you disable invasions, you shouldnt be attacked at all.

You can also raise your starting embark points and group size, that way its easier in the beginning to just play around.

so i will turn invaders off, make population limit  about 80? add some embark points and test all stuff.

I am using wiki,masterwork manual and youtube tutorials/guides so i hope i can handle that.

Once i will know what i am doing i sure want invaders and other dangers.

Thnaks for response.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 06:41:35 pm »

I think you've got a pretty decent idea of the settings to use -- maybe, turn off extra vermin and magical creatures too.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 09:22:26 pm »

Never underestimate the power of getting two military dwarves training from day one with no other jobs.  A shield and a weapon on each early on will be very useful.  Full armor them as soon as possible since goblins tend to love arrows so much.  If goblins are giving you trouble some of the really tough Masterwork enemies will show up only a few seasons later.  You could try turning off some of the toughest or trying the premade map that has a tendency to spread out civilizations on different islands so you can, in a way, choose what enemy you'll be facing.  A good thing I like to do in the beginning is channel out a moat since dirt digging is so quick and remove all ramps but a few so I don't get random wildlife and thieves coming from every direction.  That gives me some time to get a three tile bridge up for trade and mass produce blocks with everyone on masonry to get a wall up quick.

I always trouble with military.  If you have some time to kill watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVE5ziqk8b8&index=11&list=PL15F308CF24BDD172   .  He's done multiple masterwork series and military setup, especially ranged, has always given him trouble.  Decided to make a comprehensive tutorial for military set up, training, and control.

The population limit of 80 sounds good.  Remember that the population is reported back to the mountain homes when you trade liaison leaves.  So make sure he gets out alive after you've hit the population limit you want.  You can still go a bit over with an extra migrant wave and children so you may hit close to a hundred.  It may be a good idea to turn the amount of children down as well so you don't end up with half your fort being useless for years.

In terms of your processor how fast is it?  Are you overclocking at all? Even stock it's a fast processor.  Still it can get bogged down late in the game with animals, large invasions, and mass hauling.  If you can stick with 3x3 that's good, I usually go with 3x4 with a river on an edge tile. But I tend to like controlling a lot of the surface for mega trap construction.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 12:48:25 am »

I dont mind play without invaders, its just learning.I want to learn how to set Masterwork industries, but i will sure try humans.

Where do you hear about Masterwork's features before actually beginning to play the game...

EDIT: Also note that I'd complain if people were to play any other mod (except the starter packs and maybe modest/accelerated, for obvious reasons) before learning vanilla... except that that never happens.

Larzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 06:15:44 am »

I think you've got a pretty decent idea of the settings to use -- maybe, turn off extra vermin and magical creatures too.

I will keep extra vermin ON because i want try Hivekeeping and silk/web collecting.But i dont see any reason to be interrupted by magical creatures.

Never underestimate the power of getting two military dwarves training from day one with no other jobs.  A shield and a weapon on each early on will be very useful.  Full armor them as soon as possible since goblins tend to love arrows so much.  If goblins are giving you trouble some of the really tough Masterwork enemies will show up only a few seasons later.  You could try turning off some of the toughest or trying the premade map that has a tendency to spread out civilizations on different islands so you can, in a way, choose what enemy you'll be facing.  A good thing I like to do in the beginning is channel out a moat since dirt digging is so quick and remove all ramps but a few so I don't get random wildlife and thieves coming from every direction.  That gives me some time to get a three tile bridge up for trade and mass produce blocks with everyone on masonry to get a wall up quick.

I always trouble with military.  If you have some time to kill watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVE5ziqk8b8&index=11&list=PL15F308CF24BDD172   .  He's done multiple masterwork series and military setup, especially ranged, has always given him trouble.  Decided to make a comprehensive tutorial for military set up, training, and control.

The population limit of 80 sounds good.  Remember that the population is reported back to the mountain homes when you trade liaison leaves.  So make sure he gets out alive after you've hit the population limit you want.  You can still go a bit over with an extra migrant wave and children so you may hit close to a hundred.  It may be a good idea to turn the amount of children down as well so you don't end up with half your fort being useless for years.

In terms of your processor how fast is it?  Are you overclocking at all? Even stock it's a fast processor.  Still it can get bogged down late in the game with animals, large invasions, and mass hauling.  If you can stick with 3x3 that's good, I usually go with 3x4 with a river on an edge tile. But I tend to like controlling a lot of the surface for mega trap construction.

Good ideas, i will watch that tutorial. And a forgot about childern ... anyway i love new embarks

About walling up ... stone block wall seems to be better idea than mine wooden.

About FPS Processor is at 4.3Ghz. If animals couse problem i will buther everything that is not necessary.

Where do you hear about Masterwork's features before actually beginning to play the game...

EDIT: Also note that I'd complain if people were to play any other mod (except the starter packs and maybe modest/accelerated, for obvious reasons) before learning vanilla... except that that never happens.

I typed to youtube "dwarf fortress tuttorial" => sort by date of upload and there was this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FceoVwmybyY&index=31&list=UUOds19L0u-CKAIv6XNop2cQ

His words at first 25 seconds: "I've never actually played dwarf fortress without this mod and i honestly really dont see reason to."

EDIT: Also i played vanilla with stonesense only for while to overcome graphics barrier and get used to dwarf fortress UI. Now i dont even use stonesense (i used it once to get better orientation to not dig deeper without breaching cavern roofs.)                         

I just asked how to set up "easy learning world". I did not complain about anything in Masterwork (i love it ♥)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:43:53 am by Larzo »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 12:55:36 pm »

Quote from: Larzo link=topic=145924.msg5827489#msg5827489 date=1416741344
I typed to youtube "dwarf fortress tuttorial" => sort by date of upload and there was this guy. [url
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FceoVwmybyY&index=31&list=UUOds19L0u-CKAIv6XNop2cQ[/url]

His words at first 25 seconds: "I've never actually played dwarf fortress without this mod and i honestly really dont see reason to."

EDIT: Also i played vanilla with stonesense only for while to overcome graphics barrier and get used to dwarf fortress UI. Now i dont even use stonesense (i used it once to get better orientation to not dig deeper without breaching cavern roofs.)                         

I just asked how to set up "easy learning world". I did not complain about anything in Masterwork (i love it ♥)

What we are saying is that the best learning environment is the lazy newb pack, or other "starter" packs.
They add the graphics, DFHack, and have the basic tools installed, without having to deal with mod added content off the bat.

That way, you can follow a lot of very detailed tutorials to the letter, from the basic ones to the very specific ones.

Masterwork adds and changes a lot of content, meaning that it makes it harder to learn all of the basics before getting overwhelmed with things that are not in the tutorials.

By the way, a let's play (disguised as a "tutorial") is in no way enough to learn, because they are directly influenced by their ow basic knowledge and what is happening in their fort.
Written tutorials don't waste your time, as they can "pause" or skip ahead, and you can find what you want easily.
Not saying that videos don't help, but it is all over the place, not necessarily in the right order, not covering everything, and are mostly entertainment, with bits of knowledge in between.

Also, the vanilla sections have many people willing to help with learning the game, as long as it is with a starter pack.
You can have a lot of specific tutorials, or updated ones when you can't figure out where to find them, and a few people will go as far as to teach you the game directly.
You will find a few people that answer mod specific questions here, but for the basics, we tend to have a similar view that is that you shouldn't go heavy modded before having your basics down.

Anyway, if you are fine with not having the same environment as the tutorials out there, then it's fine, as long as you don't come asking for help with a tutorial in a field that is altered by the mod (the vanilla people won't be able to help, and you will be told "told you" here).

For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 02:58:42 pm »

And don't forget to bookmark the link in slay_mithos's sig.  That's a gem for getting the most out of a fort in mid to late game.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 03:47:39 pm »

I typed to youtube "dwarf fortress tuttorial" => sort by date of upload and there was this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FceoVwmybyY&index=31&list=UUOds19L0u-CKAIv6XNop2cQ

That is completely awful.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 05:26:19 pm »

One easy way to avoid a berserker from a failed mood it to put moody workshops (craftdwarf, metalsmith, bowyer, leatherworks, mason, clothier, perhaps I am missing one) behind doors.
If the game pause to tell you that someone went berserk in their shop, select the doors (q) and forbid them (l). The berserker will be unable to get out and you can even let him die there.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 05:30:18 pm by Boltgun »

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 06:32:35 pm »

I want to note that most (all?) vanilla mechanics are still there for Masterwork. You can certainly learn to play with it, but there's a lot more things going on that increase your chances of becoming overwhelmed.

I'm not a "newbie" in that I know about a ton of stuff (and given an embark without invaders I have yet to fail - military is my weak spot), but when I sit down to play for real? Overwhelmed. Then I go back to strangling animals in adventure mode until I get cocky and get slaughtered by bandits.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 06:43:34 pm »

I want to note that most (all?) vanilla mechanics are still there for Masterwork. You can certainly learn to play with it, but there's a lot more things going on that increase your chances of becoming overwhelmed.

The entire emotions system is missing, which is a pretty major part of fortress mode.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 05:06:49 am »

Quite frankly, it's not easier to learn DF when you have migrants stumbling around oblivious for reasons out of your control.
Pages: [1] 2