Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Night Mate Spearman"?  (Read 1094 times)

ChildofSolitude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Night Mate Spearman"?
« on: November 22, 2014, 11:27:00 pm »

Today I was adventuring with my legendary wrestler when, after entering a town to see what I could get with the thousands of coins I carried, I was ambushed after falling asleep in someone's home. I was confused, considering that homes are supposed to be safe places to sleep, when all of the sudden, the 'undead' tile set (the 'N' with the tilde over it.) ran into the home.

I immediately engaged in combat with the creature, after noticing it's name; Night Mate Spearman. I was confused, considering that it was literally just a spearman, same clothes and all, but it was considered undead. I figured it was a vampire and proceeded to attack.

The people in the home woke up after about two turns, and I let one of the stupid ones run in front of me while I sorted through my backpack for my knife. The spearman annihilated the villager in only two turns, but I had my weapon.

I engaged in a wrestling hold on the spearman's weapon, jostling it from him. It scratched and bit me, however, I was too powerful for it; I began to stab it forcefully in the head, knowing that vampires don't go down easily.

I was incredibly shocked when, after getting a message that I had 'Bruised the Brain' with my hit, the spearman broke free from my hold and proceeded to punch in the head, causing the 'severed part to fly off in an arc!'

I stared at the screen for a moment in utter confusion.  First of all, I know that vampires CAN be killed by brain damage (or, more so, they used to be.), and vampires also aren't supposed to get special names; It's just their human name. As well, I've never seen a vampire strong enough to cause an insta-death from a punch, unless they were buffed massively.

Was this just some odd creature of procedural generation? Or is something around that I really, really need to look out for?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Night Mate Spearman"?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 11:45:59 pm »

First though, it wasn't a vampire, it was a night troll, those messed up nasties which go around stealing spouses. It IS possible for a vampire to become a night troll during worldgen though, I've seen a few.

For the spearman bit, that's something new with 40.xx, not sure if it's a bug though.

Although it shouldn't be undead, unless it somehow became undead during worldgen.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 12:01:19 am »

I don't think he meant that it was undead, but that it used the tilde-N character to describe its appearance in-game. It was probably green, right? Night trolls are green, undead cyan, vampires maroon...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 12:26:15 am »

IIRC, a tap to the brain is no longer enough to kill, you actually have to make the brain unable to function. That's a 40.xx change.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 12:22:46 pm »

Makes sense to me, you only gave it a concussion.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!