Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: SoundCenSe, a c# port of SoundSense  (Read 14905 times)

Algorithman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundCenSe, a c# port of SoundSense
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2017, 09:52:18 am »

you're welcome

I think the wrong checksum error actually
is wanted by zwei to be able to update the other xml files without changing the main xml.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2017, 11:40:30 pm »

It's been a while since I played DF and I sort of forgot that SoundCenSe was a thing. Since it looks like this is still being developed and since a C# port is probably more CPU efficient, perhaps it is possible to implement a suggestion I made for Soundsense?

Zwei, would it be feasible to code SoundSense such that it could access the "soundpack.zip" archive and treat it as if it was the "packs" folder? It would save a lot of disk space!

I know Windows Explorer is able to treat .zip files as if they were merely sub-directories. Even so, I guess you'd have to include LZH decompression/compression algothrithms or plugins to make that work? Also, it would probably conflict with the AutoUpdate feature, correct? Though, personally, I wouldn't mind disabling AutoUpdate if it meant being able to use a .zip for the packs directory.

Whoa, difference is nearly 50mb. I actually thought mp3s would compress really bad.

Reading zip file is problematic - it can be done, but utility/work ratio is bad, imho.

Would this be worth it, coding SoundCenSe to read directly from a .ZIP of the sounds? Or, would this be a bad idea for some reason?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2017, 01:16:38 am »

Reading a zip is any where from trivial to very difficult, depending on what library you use.

Not sure how it is for C#...

It would be a cool feature though, not just go save disk space.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2017, 07:10:31 am »

You'd have to decompress a sound file before you could play it. (Windows Explorer unzips files into the temp directory when you try to open them.) This could create a delay before each sound plays for the first time.
THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. Was this inevitable (Y/y)?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2017, 05:57:56 pm »

Right, but just to clarify, you wouldn't necessarily have to decompress them to new files (depends on what you're using to play sound, I suppose). Disk I/O could create delays, but I wouldn't expect decompression to unless the sounds are really long.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2017, 06:23:04 pm »

You can extract individual items from a zip file easy. Just decompress into a memory buffer and play from there. I do similar things in Rubble all the time. Decompressing a few megs to memory is fast enough you won't notice delays (provided it is done properly).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]