Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: [Released] Dwarf Fortress Remote for iOS  (Read 125152 times)

Brody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Released] Dwarf Fortress Remote for iOS
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2016, 04:23:34 pm »

I know this is beyond Mifki's scope, but does anyone know if there is someone working on an android/pc version? Or android/linux?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2016, 04:45:44 pm »

If by "pc" you mean "Windows", I'm fairly certain that the DFHack plugin/server is cross-platform, so the iOS client should work with DF running on Linux, OS X, or Windows.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Brody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 08, 2016, 04:50:41 pm »

I think I remember reading that although I still don't have an iPhone.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2016, 05:10:45 pm »

just found this!

bought on the spot and installed a server. this would make running a succession game sooo much better!! would it be possible to have a view only password?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #214 on: February 11, 2016, 07:53:18 pm »

would it be possible to have a view only password?

That should be not too difficult to implement. However will also need to have some notifications sent to watchers when the main player operates screens other than the map screen, otherwise they won't understand what's happening.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 12, 2016, 04:41:40 am »

btw: thanks for the docker image, it made installing super smooth!

I would just add a port to download the save folder, for backup reasons

Edit: it's very sensitive to high packet loss, on 3g works well but on the noisy home wireless it can't even get to show the map
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:09:44 pm by LoSboccacc »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 14, 2016, 05:36:17 pm »

so, I did more testing cleaning all upnp reservation on my firewall and it seems this app doesn't try to open any port, that might be why it works on 3g but not on wifi

which port should I forward to it? same as the server?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #217 on: February 14, 2016, 07:29:44 pm »

Edit: it's very sensitive to high packet loss, on 3g works well but on the noisy home wireless it can't even get to show the map

does it connect but then show 'reconnecting'? I'll see if there are any parameters to tweak. But the timeout is quite big, that's strange.

so, I did more testing cleaning all upnp reservation on my firewall and it seems this app doesn't try to open any port, that might be why it works on 3g but not on wifi

which port should I forward to it? same as the server?

I don't think any port needs to (can be) open explicitly. When it connects to a server, the router will allocate a random port and allow reply packets to pass. If connecting to a server behind NAT using a published name, it's more complicated but still *should* not require manual configuration. Are you connecting using published name or IP? Are your server outside or in the same network?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 15, 2016, 02:52:52 am »

When it connects to a server, the router will allocate a random port and allow reply packets to pass. If connecting to a server behind NAT using a published name, it's more complicated but still *should* not require manual configuration.

Are you connecting using published name or IP? Are your server outside or in the same network?

I've a public ip on my home connection, the server is in internet, runs on a cheap cloud provider. I'm using the ip to connect to the server. I've a fritz.box router, run trough all configuration and all thing firewall-y are disabled.

Games like war thunder work over udp without showing network limited warning, but they do use upnp, so I don't know. It might very well be this router being an ass.

Leelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 15, 2016, 03:36:07 am »

I'm in Australia and didn't want to have to pay US dollars, have huge latency etc, so I installed this with an Amazon Linux instance, with hosting in Sydney.  Looks like it will be free for a year given the low requirements for the server but I'll confirm that in a month or so.  Only thing with this is I know next to nothing about Linux and not even sure if I can play it other than via the app, so my embark profile etc is in the hands of the iOS app. 

Awesome app, seems very intuitive to use so far, nice work!  Thank you thank you thank you!!

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2016, 06:45:41 am »

I'm in Australia and didn't want to have to pay US dollars, have huge latency etc, so I installed this with an Amazon Linux instance, with hosting in Sydney.  Looks like it will be free for a year given the low requirements for the server but I'll confirm that in a month or so.  Only thing with this is I know next to nothing about Linux and not even sure if I can play it other than via the app, so my embark profile etc is in the hands of the iOS app. 

Awesome app, seems very intuitive to use so far, nice work!  Thank you thank you thank you!!

Did you install it manually or via Docker? If using Docker, I'll post instructions where to find the save folder.

Amazon AWS free offer is really good and I need to add it instructions how to configure it. The only thing I need to check is memory/swap configuration. The free server should not have enough memory, so swap has to be configured, unless it is configured by default.. and you need to check that, because otherwise DF will crash after some time. Also, not sure what performance it will have because it's not SSD like in DigitalOcean.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #221 on: February 15, 2016, 06:54:58 am »

When it connects to a server, the router will allocate a random port and allow reply packets to pass. If connecting to a server behind NAT using a published name, it's more complicated but still *should* not require manual configuration.

Are you connecting using published name or IP? Are your server outside or in the same network?

I've a public ip on my home connection, the server is in internet, runs on a cheap cloud provider. I'm using the ip to connect to the server. I've a fritz.box router, run trough all configuration and all thing firewall-y are disabled.

Games like war thunder work over udp without showing network limited warning, but they do use upnp, so I don't know. It might very well be this router being an ass.

Hmm.. If you're connecting to a server directly by IP, I'm pretty sure no additional configuration needed. I have fritz.box as well, and it works. On the other hand, I've also noticed it works smoother when on cellular than when on wi-fi but I've never bothered to find the reason because all weird issues happened with my ISP, so I'm not surprised.

Leelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 15, 2016, 04:11:48 pm »

Thanks Mifki. I wouldn't know how to install manually on Linux, my Unix days are long past, so I installed the docker via Amazon's instructions and then followed your steps.  I couldn't do the swp command (said I didn't have permissions), so just used your other command to install and hoped for the best (took forever to set up so I didn't have the brain power to investigate further at that point).  My fortress is still little but seems to be working ok so far. Extra instructions would be awesome!

Then again, if it's all going to fall over soon and crash, maybe an oceanic equivalent of DigitalOcean would be better, but the ones I found yesterday all looked horribly expensive.  DigitalOcean did have Singapore I think but that's still a long way from Sydney.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #223 on: February 15, 2016, 04:35:39 pm »

Thanks Mifki. I wouldn't know how to install manually on Linux, my Unix days are long past, so I installed the docker via Amazon's instructions and then followed your steps.  I couldn't do the swp command (said I didn't have permissions), so just used your other command to install and hoped for the best (took forever to set up so I didn't have the brain power to investigate further at that point).  My fortress is still little but seems to be working ok so far. Extra instructions would be awesome!

Then again, if it's all going to fall over soon and crash, maybe an oceanic equivalent of DigitalOcean would be better, but the ones I found yesterday all looked horribly expensive.  DigitalOcean did have Singapore I think but that's still a long way from Sydney.

Can you tell which exactly instructions you followed for Amazon? I'll do the same and check about the swap.

I'm using Singapore DigitalOcean from NZ, it's fine. Of course the same country (and for free) is better, so I'll check Amazon first.

To find your save folder:

root@ubuntu-1gb-nyc3-01:~# docker inspect df1 | grep Source
"Source": "/var/lib/docker/volumes/28b48b6b4b01af1fea7682c92da8794f4f90ff920c26d46664aec88a9e4f7465/_data",

So this long path is a path to save folder:

root@ubuntu-1gb-nyc3-01:~# ls /var/lib/docker/volumes/28b48b6b4b01af1fea7682c92da8794f4f90ff920c26d46664aec88a9e4f7465/_data
current region1 region11

You can use WinSCP (if you're on Windows) to download.

Leelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 15, 2016, 04:48:42 pm »

Thanks again Mifki. If this all falls over at least I know that Singapore is OK  :)

OK, so on Amazon I checked "Free Tier Only" and created an "Amazon Linux AMI 2015.09.1 (HVM), SSD Volume Type" server and left it at all the defaults, except following their instructions for security groups / users etc.  The instance type was t2.micro with 1 CPU and 1GB memory.  I then followed their docker basics instructions and installed version 1.9.1. Then I tried to run your first /swp command with no success, so just pushed onto the second command line crossing my fingers.  I used putty to connect.

Thanks for the save file instructions too!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 04:53:53 pm by Leelu »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22