Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22

Author Topic: [Released] Dwarf Fortress Remote for iOS  (Read 125128 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
Re: [Released] Dwarf Fortress Remote for iOS
« Reply #255 on: July 05, 2016, 06:58:53 pm »

Amazing work, mifki.  I'm now proudly able to run DF anywhere I like!  The interface is very nice.  Have you considered incorporating any sort of sound support, similar to soundsense, as a "stretch goal"?  Or is that not something you want to expand the DF Remote project to include?  I would completely understand if you have your hands full without adding complexity ;)

Sound is definitely planned after I finish with 0.42/0.43 support.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 06, 2016, 11:36:40 pm »

I've been wondering about this app since the Reddit post. So does this put Dwarf Fortress into text mode and send tiles as 1-byte characters to the iOS client? It would explain why creature graphics are not supported anyway.

Can I have the server running on my internet-connected computer and then play on the iOS remote over a cellular data connection? If so, has anyone tested about how much bandwidth it uses?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #257 on: July 07, 2016, 01:04:46 am »

I've been wondering about this app since the Reddit post. So does this put Dwarf Fortress into text mode and send tiles as 1-byte characters to the iOS client? It would explain why creature graphics are not supported anyway.

Can I have the server running on my internet-connected computer and then play on the iOS remote over a cellular data connection? If so, has anyone tested about how much bandwidth it uses?

No, it doesn't need text mode and that's not the reason for creature graphics not being supported at the moment.

Yes, you can connect to your home server and play. There's a free app named DFRCT to test connection, because some ISPs won't allow to connect to your computer from outside.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 07, 2016, 02:01:18 am »

I played three short lived forts and a medium lived one and usage under mobile data app clocks at 4MB - I think about 2/3 of time I was on wifi. make of it what you will, ymmv.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 05, 2016, 12:52:50 am »

The application and server code have been updated to support Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03 - http://mifki.com/blog/20806804/dwarf-fortress-remote-for-04303/

Yeeeeeee!

edit: ok so I keep having the weirdest of issues. this time is the iphone it seems: when I test the connection with nmap, I can see packet arriving to the server just fine

but from the iphone no packet ever reach the server. tested on two different wifi and from cellular network, no packet ever arrive to the server, and all connection tests fails. [/s]

ok nevermind I had a tab at the beginning of the ip, damn copypaste XD
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:50:22 am by LoSboccacc »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 12, 2016, 01:56:03 am »

nice!

also, the multilevel view is lovely

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

makes super easy building in vertical, zoning trees etc!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 12, 2016, 06:40:05 am »

Have you considered porting this to pc?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 13, 2016, 02:09:03 am »

Is there a way to change the text justification so that it is "aligned-left" instead of "justified"?

Although justified text is more true to how Dwarf Fortress displays text, the large gaps that sometimes appear between words with it can make justified text harder to read, especially for dyslexic users.

If anything can change the text alignment, Dwarf Fortress Remote seems most likely.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 02:17:50 am by jecowa »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #265 on: August 13, 2016, 04:13:53 am »

Is there a way to change the text justification so that it is "aligned-left" instead of "justified"?

It's not configurable at the moment, but I surely can add an option in the next update if justified text is a problem for some people.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 13, 2016, 05:42:51 am »

I'm not sure how many people it would help, but it looks like ~10% of people are dyslexic, and left-aligned text should be easier for everyone in general to read.

Text in Dwarf Fortress Remote already looks a lot better than it does in Dwarf Fortress. Getting rid of justified might further improve it, though. You might try it and see if you like it at least.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #267 on: August 13, 2016, 06:29:12 am »

I personally like justified text in general. But that doesn't matter, I'll just add an option and users will choose.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 13, 2016, 09:00:28 am »

That was fast. Thank you!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 13, 2016, 05:38:00 pm »

I've a suggestion too! Can you add the amount of building tipes already built in the building screen? Like how df does it's very convenient to check if anything is missing

edit: also how do you set up automatic save?

I mean, I can docker exec into it and change the data init, but idk if that'd break something
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:27:42 pm by LoSboccacc »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22