Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: [Released] Dwarf Fortress Remote for iOS  (Read 124481 times)

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: [Work in progress] A proper way to play Dwarf Fortress on iPhone
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2014, 04:03:17 pm »

Presuming it doesn't get shut down by original Dwarf Fortress developer Bay 12 Games, this iOS app would be free when released, just as the PC version is.

Why would Toady do this? It's not like he's in for money.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2014, 05:34:45 pm »

Presuming it doesn't get shut down by original Dwarf Fortress developer Bay 12 Games, this iOS app would be free when released, just as the PC version is.

Well, actually I've never said that the app would be free (as well as the opposite). Technically, the app itself is not based on and doesn't include any code from dfhack or any materials from other people, so nothing prevents me from asking a reasonable price for it. The server part, however, will definitely be open-source as soon as it's more or less complete, so that others can create remote UIs for other platforms.

Regardless, Toady still can be against all this for some reason and not let this happen. I probably will need to ask at some point.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2014, 05:49:09 pm »

edit: irrelevant speculation, as Toady has spoken.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:15:06 pm by draeath »
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2014, 06:11:21 pm »

Well, actually I've never said that the app would be free (as well as the opposite). Technically, the app itself is not based on and doesn't include any code from dfhack or any materials from other people, so nothing prevents me from asking a reasonable price for it. The server part, however, will definitely be open-source as soon as it's more or less complete, so that others can create remote UIs for other platforms.

Regardless, Toady still can be against all this for some reason and not let this happen. I probably will need to ask at some point.
Actually if it included code from dfhack i think itunes store would not accept it. They have strange policy about opensource projects...
As for Toady: i'm too lazy too look up the references but general idea was "okay". Though i'm still a more and more concerned by how much we are "gutting" df... So just pm or email him. He does respond quite quickly.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2014, 06:36:34 pm »

Actually if it included code from dfhack i think itunes store would not accept it. They have strange policy about opensource projects...

Not really, I remember only one case - VLC player, but that was an issue with f*ng GPL license and original VLC authors. Otherwise, almost all apps include more or less code from MIT-licensed libraries, for example.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2014, 11:38:19 pm »

I was asked to come in and weigh in on this.  I don't have a problem with the app as it regards "gutting" DF.  Looks cool!  The main problem we have with people selling "Dwarf Fortress" stuff is that sometimes people assume we are seeing part of the money, which is bad for us.  Along those lines, we'd not want people to be confused that they are buying a complete mobile version of DF, as people might again assume they are contributing to Bay 12 when it is not the case.  The sale of DF apps/mods in general gives me an uncomfortable feeling, but that's probably all it amounts to.  On the other hand, overall, these sorts of efforts are good for the game.  These are the issues, anyway.  If somebody had something specific they wanted permission for now or when the time is right, I can handle that via email or PMs.

And just to be clear, I'm not sure what the plans were overall, but we are completely against anybody selling DF itself, however it is bundled.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2014, 08:30:08 am »

PTW
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

blegh

• Bay Watcher
  • "That was satisfying!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2014, 11:49:08 am »

PTW.

Also: awesome!

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2014, 09:47:15 pm »

Would it be possible to use this to play adventure mode ?

I feel like more people would use there iPhones/iPads to play Adventure mode then fortress mode

If I'm going to sit down and play Fortress mode I will be more likely to do it on a computer so I can simultaneously view the dwarf wiki and so forth. Adventure mode on a phone would be perfect for on-the-go situations where you have nothing to do or have to wait for 30 minutes or something.

That being what it is don't let me dissuade you from working on getting fortress mode to work, I just want to have my cake and eat it too.

I agree that turn-based nature of adventure mode is probably better for on the go play. However undoubtedly fortress mode is more popular and important, and I personally don't play adventure mode. So there actually was no choice what mode to start with.

On the one hand, implementing adventure mode would be completely separate task as there's little in common with fortress mode. On the other hand, adventure mode has less screens/controls/etc., so it should be easier.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2014, 01:44:49 pm »

For the most part adventure mode also doesn't change without user input. Fortress mode can certainly be paused on demand, but it's not nearly so step-driven (from a UI perspective anyway)
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

mrjnewt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2014, 04:21:21 pm »

PTW

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2014, 08:58:01 pm »

PTW
I have a few ideas for a new military screen on my computer before it got confiscated. Will try drawing it on an iPad app and then to imgur
This is roughly it
http://imgur.com/k0aGDaZ
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:24:41 pm by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2014, 09:13:22 pm »

Because it's not that easy to distribute beta versions of iOS apps, and it will take some time until it's ready enough for this, follow the development at least with screenshots here http://blog.mifki.com

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2014, 09:28:37 pm »

Because it's not that easy to distribute beta versions of iOS apps, and it will take some time until it's ready enough for this, follow the development at least with screenshots here http://blog.mifki.com

I can send you my uuid if needed to to test.

Also, I have used test flight before to beta test iOS apps with other developers, it has worked well for distribution. I don't know the costs for the developer, but it is worth looking into!

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2014, 11:18:59 pm »

I will beta test if u want help
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22