Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it safe to tame a croc that killed horse?  (Read 1701 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it safe to tame a croc that killed horse?
« on: November 23, 2014, 09:01:12 pm »

A cave crocodol was captured after it killed a horse, though it didnt attack or kill any dwarves.

Will taming it cause loyalty conflict?

Besides, it was wounded somehow badly by the horse. How long can an animal large as this survive infection?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it safe to tame a croc that killed horse?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:12:02 pm »

If it was on an attack course to anything in your fort it may be a hostile pet.

But you can put it on a restraint and it will no longer be hostile anyway. So you can keep it tame and breed it. Chained animals can still probably use nest boxes.
The wiki right now says hostile egg-layers may have breeding problems, but I think toady has fixed egg-laying issues in this version.

As for the infection, animals heal on their own pretty well. The death may just be really dragged out or it may make a recovery.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:14:08 pm by Codyo »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:12:02 am »

Stuff I've always wanted to be possible in this game: Being able to train your doctors by doing vet surgery on the tame animals of the fort. Sigh.

I had an alligator which removed the leg and hand of our Champion on a restraint for years, and no dwarf got upset. The named Alligator which ate endless amounts of dwarf children (I did NOT feed them to it, I swear, it just kept getting into the meeting hall!), however, was not a popular beastie....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:49:40 am »

I don't think it will cause any problems as it does not belong to a hostile faction. The issue you're likely worried about appears to only apply to tamed animals from a hostile civ. I'm not certain, though. Tame it and post results?

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 01:16:51 am »

I know if they've killed a dwarf they'll forever be hostile, but I don't know about pets.

They have to kill the target though, because I had a croc that ate a pet cavy's foot and it just hung out in its pasture once tamed.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 01:50:36 am »

i wil try to tame it
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 08:15:41 am »

It's been half a year, now. The crocodile is -trained-, and will not attack dwarves when pastured. It recovers pretty well, too, only with scar on the tail.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 03:09:01 pm »

It's a wild cave crocodile, it's fine.

If it was an enemy of your civ (AKA a goblin's mount captured in battle) it would be a different matter, I think.