Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Become One... With the Hive!  (Read 1654 times)

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
Become One... With the Hive!
« on: November 24, 2014, 12:59:01 am »

Hello Bay12,
I'm trying to make this race of Tyranid/Zerg-esque creatures that it composed of basically a metric fuckton of little guys which are weak but numerous, a couple flying ones and a few large monsters. I have a few questions:
1. How do I make them not attack each other?
2. Is there a way to put a kind of shell of chitinous layer on the creatures' back or something?
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Become One... With the Hive!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 01:06:17 am »

1. No [CRAZED]
2. Tissue layer stuff, which is too complex to go into in a forum post and you can basically find out about on the wiki

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 06:09:23 am »

They will easily get depressed though, considering seeing each other die gives sad thoughts that cant be modded.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

McFeel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 06:18:26 am »

You can make all these creature in one using castes. In the "creature token" page of the Wiki, you can see that the tokens are categorized by the type "caste" or "creature". With this you can create a creature raw, that includes as many castes as you want, with different bodies and characteristics, so in fact you can have an entity with several different creatures. Using [POP_RATIO:x] in the castes, you can make ones more common (POP_RATIO:1), and others more rare (POP_RATIO:100).

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 06:39:50 am »

They will easily get depressed though, considering seeing each other die gives sad thoughts that cant be modded.
Wasn't there a tag which disabled the emotion system?
._.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 07:04:00 am »

They will be so consumed by the will of the Hive that they will not stop until all are assimilated... I'm sure there's a tag somewhere, though.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 10:21:16 am »

They will be so consumed by the will of the Hive that they will not stop until all are assimilated... I'm sure there's a tag somewhere, though.

Well that doesnt really solve the problem. It just removes the whole emotion system as a whole, which is a problem of itself imo.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 11:23:18 am »

Well that doesnt really solve the problem. It just removes the whole emotion system as a whole, which is a problem of itself imo.

NO_EMOTION would make sense for expendable drones, but unless all your units are that way, those who have emotion will break upon the mindless ones death.

I'd say max discipline, minimum anger, some research until the personnality facets will help you make more solid character.

Keep in mind that many units will kill your FPS.

For 2 you should look into body and tissue definition, turtles have shells so that should be an example. For extra fun, add NO_BONES afterwards to make them behave like more insects against wounds.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:26:08 am by Boltgun »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 12:37:15 pm »

For 2 you should look into body and tissue definition, turtles have shells so that should be an example. For extra fun, add NO_BONES afterwards to make them behave like more insects against wounds.
Just look at insects in the vanilla raws.  Tucked inside you'll see [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:CHITIN:FAT:MUSCLE] which defines the tissue layers for all standard bodyparts (internal organs are under all of the layers).  If you want bodyparts that don't exist in the raws, you'll need to make your own BODY and BODY_DETAIL_PLAN templates.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 10:25:13 am »

If you want bodyparts that don't exist in the raws, you'll need to make your own BODY and BODY_DETAIL_PLAN templates.

Making them is easy I think. Just look at the ones already there and read the tokens.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 08:41:54 pm »

... you can make ones more common (POP_RATIO:1), and others more rare (POP_RATIO:100).
the other way around:
If you have those POP_RATIO's you get 1 in a 101 getting cast with POP_RATIO:1 and the other 100 out of 101 will be from the cast with POP_RATIO:101
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime