Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: No ADOM topic? ADOM topic now!  (Read 16060 times)

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No ADOM topic? ADOM topic now!
« on: November 24, 2014, 05:12:19 am »

So, I noticed there's no ADOM topic here. Weird. Seriously, no one plays ADOM here? It had several prereleases recently...

defeeca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No ADOM topic? ADOM topic now!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:17:10 am »

look 2 threads below :P

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:40:46 am »

look 2 threads below :P

That's JADE topic, not ADOM :)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 08:33:26 am »

That's JADE topic, not ADOM :)
It had several prereleases recently...
Wait, so which version are you talking about? The old one (which has been released for over a decade (coming up on 2) or the new one (which, nitpicks aside, is JADE)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:11:16 am »

The old one.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 02:07:28 pm »

I think the best I've ever really done without hacking, savescumming a pool, or cheesing as a Candle-born Troll Healer, was with an Archer.

That said, I remember once making a list of stuff you get for each class you get with the Heir talent, if you ever bother getting it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 04:35:07 pm »

Used to play it loads, but I haven't touched it for ages now. Archers were awesome, and wizards. Weirdly, one of my easiest runs was as a Thief and I think they're supposed to be quite hard. Probably I just got lucky with artifacts.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 05:21:52 pm »

Lizardman! Vomit my way to victory!

Also having a Karmic Dragon from a blessed scroll of summon familiar helps

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 08:01:35 pm »

Years back, my best legit game was a troll beastmaster... Ripping things apart at the last floor of the CoC... One more room standing between me and the end...

Crap. A room filled with high level ghosts.

Unnaturally aged to death, mere moments away.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 12:49:54 am »

I seem to recall trying ADOM at one point in the past. Fun game to read player's adventures in, less so to play, in my experience. I recall mucking my way through character creation, trying to save some girl's dog, and getting lost in the wilderness and dying to a random encounter.

That said, this thread is making me want to try it again sometime. PTW.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 09:24:10 am »

If that's going to be the ADoM thread, maybe a good idea would be to add links in the opening post with a small description of what it is for people that have no idea about it.

A few link i found useful in my ADoM adventures :

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/

download for the latest public pre-release version of ADoM (pre-release 23 is the last public one at the time i write) :
http://www.ancardia.com/download.html
(note : there are regular new pre-release, latest being pre-release 52, but they're only available to donators, public pre-releases only happen once a while)

ADoM wiki (spoilers) :
http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

the ADoM guidebook (more spoilers)
http://www.adomgb.info/

the ADoM FAQ (and again spoilers) :
http://adomgb.info/adomfaq.html

edit :
After the suggestion, now some  things i find good to know regarding some new functions :
- press w then a direction and your character will auto-explore there and will stop if there's something interesting or other corridors opening up
- press w then 5 and you'll wait (and so rest) for 20 turns (or until some hostile appear) and will autosearch during that time (mostly for trap and secret doors)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:35:27 am by Robsoie »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 09:37:02 am »

Think my best run was a dark elf beastmaster. Athletics pretty quickly took care of that tendency for delves to be puny and fragile. Plus being able to scarf down spiders was a nice perk at times. Killed by a named multi-hued ancient karmic wyrm, if memory serves.

Think it was a "you feel a surge of power" random. On the alternate route past the living forest. Thing was probably level 500 for all I know.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 10:00:03 am »

I've gotten the Neutral Ultra Ending as a drakeling monk.  Killing the emperor moloch with my instant kill ability was hilariously anti-climatic.  Monk gets some of the best class powers in the game.  Fast movement and ability to switch places with enemies are so powerful.  Mana temple isn't nearly as scary.

Edit: I played on the ancardia server so no save scumming was available.  I did exploit a few things like the ring of weakness with potions of exchange to get my stats into the stratosphere.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:47:14 am by Satarus »
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 10:01:46 am »

I seem to recall trying ADOM at one point in the past. Fun game to read player's adventures in, less so to play, in my experience. I recall mucking my way through character creation, trying to save some girl's dog, and getting lost in the wilderness and dying to a random encounter.

That said, this thread is making me want to try it again sometime. PTW.
Pretty much the same. Couldn't ever get past the small area you begin in. Liking to roll random didn't help.

Heard some pretty good things about it so I'll PTW for later.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 10:08:11 am »

My only win in adom was with in the old version (the one from before the resurrection thing) with a Grey Elf Wizard, it's a rather powerful class/race combo
Mostly because wizards special trait is that they find much more books than any other classes during exploration, this mean you can afford to train their spells similarly to Elona and in the end get really powerful blasts instead of being more cautious with your spell reserves like with other classes, and so not train those spells levels as high as with wizards.
It can be easy to run out of an useful spell and not find any book for a lot of time in order to relearn it again when you're playing a spellcaster that is not a wizard.

I played an Elementalist a while ago that ran very fast out of his main attack spells, and never found more than a couple of books during his whole run, and the small spell reserves you gained from leveling with them was to small to really afford to spam spells.

Most of my other characters failed miserably in Adom out of that win, the latest attempt in which i thought i had a winner-potential character was the dwarf barbarian i was mentionning in the other thread that had some amazing powerful piece of equipment and was really strong.
But i did some very stupid move that got him killed in the Air Temple (very stupid because i charged in instead of attracting things to me as i usually do, in order to kill Yulgash fast but unfortunately i was overwhelmed by number while doing so).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:09:53 am by Robsoie »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9