Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: No ADOM topic? ADOM topic now!  (Read 15945 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No ADOM topic? ADOM topic now!
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 01:51:57 pm »

Think my best run was a dark elf beastmaster. Athletics pretty quickly took care of that tendency for delves to be puny and fragile. Plus being able to scarf down spiders was a nice perk at times. Killed by a named multi-hued ancient karmic wyrm, if memory serves.

Think it was a "you feel a surge of power" random. On the alternate route past the living forest. Thing was probably level 500 for all I know.

I'm pretty sure there's only one ancient karmic wyrm, and it shouldn't be initially hostile.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 02:48:52 pm »

Think my best run was a dark elf beastmaster. Athletics pretty quickly took care of that tendency for delves to be puny and fragile. Plus being able to scarf down spiders was a nice perk at times. Killed by a named multi-hued ancient karmic wyrm, if memory serves.

Think it was a "you feel a surge of power" random. On the alternate route past the living forest. Thing was probably level 500 for all I know.

I'm pretty sure there's only one ancient karmic wyrm, and it shouldn't be initially hostile.

Perhaps it was an ancient karmic dragon or great karmic wyrm.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 02:55:17 pm »

In one of the early pre-release there was the introduction of boss monsters, basically randomly appearing uniques similar to uniques in Crawl, i have not checked the list, but maybe it was one of them (i only ran into a goblin boss monster in pre-release 23).

They come with a little intro text and a music change, to make you notice it's not your usual random encounter.

Mailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 03:15:48 pm »

I just went through the depths of my HDs, and found the .flg files of my winners, of all wonders ...

Salamo, the dwarven fighter, was extinguished by an emperor lich (after
winning).
He scored 13065738 points and advanced to level 50.

Pipin, the dwarven weaponsmith, saved the world with his brave efforts and
became a great ruler while saving himself 19 times.
He scored 31168712 points and advanced to level 50.

Brabant, the high elven archer, saved the world with his brave efforts and
became a great ruler while saving himself 12 times.
He scored 34193720 points and advanced to level 50.

Horklin, the dwarven fighter, saved the world with his brave efforts and
became a great ruler while saving himself 11 times.
He scored 25708592 points and advanced to level 50.

Szzazz, the drakish mindcrafter, died of old age (after winning).
She scored 14381342 points and advanced to level 50.

Szzz, the drakish barbarian, saved the world with his brave efforts and
became a great ruler while saving himself 15 times.
He scored 39648324 points and advanced to level 50.

Salma, the dwarven weaponsmith, saved the world with her brave efforts and
became a great ruler while saving herself 32 times.
She scored 35003740 points and advanced to level 50.

All of them were back before the release of 1.0.0 ... some in gamma12, some in gamma16. *sigh*
Edit: Found my first three as well ... wow, I definitely don't remember winning that often, I could only recall the mindcrafter for sure and one weaponsmith rather foggily ... pretty sure I dug up most of the infinite dungeon for ores.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:20:06 pm by Mailo »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 04:49:00 pm »

Interesting to see drakelings in your winner collection, i often read people mentionning how drakelings die too easily to fire or cold (the tower of eternal fire is supposed to be a pain from what i read, and i wonder how drakeling can take the new domain of the ice queen, or the ice level in the deep bottom of the main dungeon).

Talking about Adom make me want to get a new run, i'll try to play something i'm not used to.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 06:59:36 pm »

Highly recommend folks take a gander at Gordon Overkill and Silfir's channels on Youtube as each spends a great deal of time on showcasing ADOM start to finish for the benefit of newcomers and all else---especially Gordon of late.   8)

Mailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 02:55:40 pm »

Interesting to see drakelings in your winner collection, i often read people mentionning how drakelings die too easily to fire or cold (the tower of eternal fire is supposed to be a pain from what i read, and i wonder how drakeling can take the new domain of the ice queen, or the ice level in the deep bottom of the main dungeon).

Talking about Adom make me want to get a new run, i'll try to play something i'm not used to.
I've written a YAVP on the drakeling, let me quote the relevant part:

On the down side: Still no fireproof blankets, no ring of ice, and no fire immunity ... as I said, I've never taken a drakeling through the ToEF, but heard mostly horror stories about it ...
Tried the tomb of the high kings, and realized on the last level that I had no wands of cold ... duh.
Darkforge also was a dud ... only leather armors, clothes and robes, and iron weapons. At least the crown of science provides fire immunity. Somewhere along the way, a single fireproof blanket showed up, so I reluctantly braved the tower without adequate protection. I mapped all levels, then went back out to heal. Back up using the wand of teleportation from its guaranteed place and some booze. On the top level, I just needed one potion of extra healing. Apparently it's not as hard as I've heard ... (at least, as long as one has Vanquisher ...)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 07:47:23 pm »

I'm wondering, how are people dealing with pools in their games ?

The problem with pools is that they can give a serious advantage or give such a serious disadvantage you are simply better with just rolling another character.

Usually i learned that it was in my character best interest to avoid them, because out of an exception or two (i remember my winner got some very good stuff , but i stopped before trying my luck more) nearly every of my attempts crippled more my characters than it helped them.

Is there a way to get a guaranteed "good" pool , or are they all just pure luck related ?

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 07:54:45 pm »

Drain em all! Drain em Dry!

In all seriousness if I find a pool sufficiently early, I will drain it dry. My thought process is that most of the effects of pools is to add or remove a intrinsic, so if you drink them when you don't have any, thats like 75% of the bad effects you can't roll, N' tons of good effects that you can. Pretty much the only bad things you can roll with this method are water elemental spawns (which will probably kill you), or to get cursed, which isn't too bad as long as you stop drinking then. On the other hand, I probably get an early wish from this method in 'bout 75% of my games or so.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:27:29 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 08:49:54 pm »

I guess i could give a try with a very early pool for character i'm not yet much focused with, as my memories of trying to drain them dry usually ended in disasters.

Anyways, managed to save the puppy and bring it back to the little girl, something rare as either i usually arrive too late and the dog is already dead or i lose the dog to some newly spawned monster around.

But this time managed to catch it and bring it back alive
Good for getting a decent boost on the alignment as i'm trying to go lawful (i always found it much easier to maintain lawul than neutral that my character is) and get some precrowning.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 11:12:08 pm »

Downloaded version 1.2.0 Prerelease 23. Love the music. Don't like the graphics. Anyone know how to use the ASCII graphics instead?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 11:24:35 pm »

Press F10 to alternate between ASCII and graphic display

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 11:26:58 pm »

Cool, thanks. couldn't find any records or any mention of that option in all the manuals and readmes included with the game.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 11:32:12 pm »

Some more keys that may be helpful :
F8 -> graphic settings (you can even play adom in 1st person view)
F9 -> adom options
CTRL+M -> NotEye and Adom settings

CTRL+Mousewheel zoom in/out in graphic display (not working for ASCII)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 01:21:44 am »

So I reached a dead end in my first game with a tutorial character. Tried doing some quests from the starting town, wound up in the little girl's dog's cave with the...dangerous bugs lurking inside. Beat a hasty retreat. Went into another nearby cave looking for that healer priest dude. The cave gave me a message of a "pious aura", but I've literally hit a dead end where there's no option to go down and it's only two bare rooms.

Do I have to search for the door? Tried doing that, it got tedious.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9