Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: No ADOM topic? ADOM topic now!  (Read 16057 times)

Mailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No ADOM topic? ADOM topic now!
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 02:49:22 am »

If I remember correctly, you can kick the walls; hidden doors will give a different message. Or was that in Nethack? Give it a try anyhow :D

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 09:25:22 am »

Damn it, now you went and made me download it again!

If you can't find the majority of the map, (s)earch the walls until you find a hidden door.

I've rolled up a Gray Elven Wizard. Finished the carpenter quest and I'm diving into the small cave. I'll let you know how I go.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 10:03:48 am »

If you can't find the majority of the map, (s)earch the walls until you find a hidden door.
If I remember correctly, you can kick the walls; hidden doors will give a different message. Or was that in Nethack? Give it a try anyhow :D

Both of these work, thou don't try kicking them if you have less than 3 PV 'cause then you might kill yourself.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 10:14:12 am »

a recommandation for spellcasters
while wizards (and from what i remember necromancers) can find more book than the other classes (so a bit more than "nearly never" :D ) , it's still possible you're out of luck and find only "utility" spellbooks instead of some offensive ones to refill your offensive spells and if you then run out with your bolts/balls , you're very likely going to die.

A workaround to that is to not use your offensive spells to deal with very weak monsters from the very start , but instead kill them in melee.

The good thing is that each kill will add a mark to your weapon , and after X marks , you get a level in the corresponding weapon skill, allowing you to be more accurate and do more damage with that weapon.
Great for spellcasters that have run out of offensive spells, so they can still deal damage in melee instead of just dying.
you can check your current weapon marks by pressing CTRL + W

And important to know, if you have set your Tactic to Very Defensive or Coward , you will gain NO marks (for those not knowing, you can change your Tactic with F1, F2, F3 , F4, F5, F6, F7, F8 or just SHIFT+T and +/- , each tactics giving more or less bonus or malus to damage and accuracy, more or less bonus or malus to defense)
http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Tactics_(game_concept)

Getting the Tactic skill (and increasing it) or earning it from a quest can be awesome for your Tactic setup

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 11:36:02 am »

Graphics? What fell sorcery is this??

*checks out website*

Oh. Huh. New version. I think I assumed there never would be another release back around 1.1.1.

*begins downloading*

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 11:45:08 am »

Looks like i have a bit too much luck for now, managed to kill a blink dog and have it spawn a corpse, something i usually never see considering how rare it is such monster leave a corpse
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here comes a control teleport as intrinsic :)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 11:59:12 am »

So, how do people deal with the Cat Lord nowadays? I've had a few promising games recently but they've all come to a swift end when they faced the Cat Lord. Used ta' be you could just chuck a couple blind/confuse potions at him but now that he's resistant to that I'm kinda at a loss of what to do.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 12:35:37 pm »

So, how do people deal with the Cat Lord nowadays? I've had a few promising games recently but they've all come to a swift end when they faced the Cat Lord. Used ta' be you could just chuck a couple blind/confuse potions at him but now that he's resistant to that I'm kinda at a loss of what to do.
...There's a unique called the Cat Lord in this game. Really? Wow.

I think I may have found my new favorite roguelike. In depth design like DF or Crawl or Nethack, open-world like DF, music like DoomRL, in depth class system and combat mechanics, monster memory system that's really fun to use and learn new monster things, humor, it's got errything.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 12:54:50 pm »

The Cat Lord is to me the thing i dislike the most in adom, i find that game mechanic not interesting and definitively not fun in any ways, just plain annoying instead.

Here's how i managed to kill that damned thing :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112573.msg5443804#msg5443804

of course this still involved some luck because of how rarely anything works on it

If you don't like to read spoilers, i still recommend you to read spoilers about the Cat Lord to avoid wasting all the time you invested in getting a good character running only to have a stupid YASD because you weren't aware of that specific silly "game mechanic" .

Wouldn't be a problem if the "cat lord" was early game, but unfortunately it's past mid-game when you're very interested in your character.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:57:36 pm by Robsoie »

Mailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 12:58:20 pm »

Don't forget crafting (I adored the weaponsmith class) and Conway's game of life (herb bushes grow according to it, making sustainable farming a possibility if you groom stable patterns) ;)

I recommend browsing the guidebook though. The game contains MANY secrets, most of which I'd never have found out by myself ... and even spoilering myself to the chaos portal and back didn't really ruin the game for me. I didn't savescum, which, kept the game fresh. Knowing what to look for didn't always help ;)

One hint regarding the cat lord ... if you don't anger him throughout your game, you do not have to fight him. Quite on the contrary, he gives you a pretty neat gift.
Not angering him is not easy, but usually possible. Check the guidebook I linked above if you want more information.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 02:08:48 pm »

While the guidebook is quite nice, it hasn't been updated since before the resurrection project (unless I missed something), so it is horrifically outdated. Cross reference any information you get from it with the wiki. (http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 02:58:57 pm »

Probably outdated too,
but as an alternative to the adom guidebook, there's an improved adom guidebook
differences listed there :
http://adomgb.sweb.cz/

another recommendation is to give a look into the precrowning mechanics , as it can give you early a very good asset for your character to survive longer :
http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Precrowning

Note : there seem to be a bug regarding your standing after your 1st pre-crowning
http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1353

I just ran into it with my current guy.

The thing is that after the precrowning the game seems to stop giving you the correct information about your faith standing, in my case it just gives me "very close to you" , but in the code the standing is higher, as after a tons of more sacrifice, i could get my 2nd precrowning (despite "very close to you" is insufficient as you need "extremely close to you")
edit : my bad it wasn't 2 precrowning, the bug happened for precrowning followed by a crowning, here what i recieved :
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 04:22:50 pm by Robsoie »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 09:02:53 pm »

Yeah, personally I don't worry too much about the Cat Lord. I just avoid making him angry. Experience and forward planning are the name of the game in Roguelikes anyhow, so no sense in complaining it's too hard. That's why you play games like this in the first place, because they punish you for lack of attention. It's also the same reason I make sure I kill a mugger in Lawenilothehl before I go kill anything else.

My Gray Elven Wizard is doing well. Fortunately no lack of offensive spellbooks means I'm pretty set for the dive through the Unremarkable Dungeon. I currently have Acid Ball, Death Ray, Farsight, Frost Bolt, Light, Lightning Bolt, Magic Missile, Strength of Atlas and Teleportation. This means I can constantly buff to carry massive amounts of crap loot and have a very long range of vision, with spells to deal with almost anything I get thrown at me including a GTFO fallback (though sadly no teleportation control yet). Up to floor 5 of the Unremarkable Dungeon and sitting on Level 10, I've just found a lesser vault full of undead and a Lawful altar. Good time to get into the good books with my deity via live sacrifices.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 09:36:06 pm »

So my tutorial character died to the giant ant queen in the little girl's dog's caves. Went and started my first proper character. My first character was Candleborn. Guess who's running a candleborn troll beastfighter?

Also, while traveling through the little girl caves I found a room full of blink dogs. One level up and 3 skill boosts to food preservation and several dead blink dogs later and I got not one but two blink dog corpses. Delicious intrinsics. This is going great so far.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 03:34:05 am »

All until you hit a greater undead vault and your troll gets aged to death.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9