Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: No ADOM topic? ADOM topic now!  (Read 16025 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: No ADOM topic? ADOM topic now!
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2015, 04:34:39 am »

the public release of Adom R59 is now available , fixing the bug that plagued the R58 public release from yesterday.
downloads link have been updated there :
http://www.ancardia.com/download.html

the menu and stuff are a lot prettified since the last public release.

What is the deal with the graphical version on the website, is that released now? Is it free?
The graphical ADOM is available (since a couple of years already) , and while most dev versions are only available to those that donated, the dev from time to time make public release that are free to everyone, donators or not, like the ADOM R59 that is just available.
Note that the graphical version contain the ASCII version too, you can switch between graphics and ascii with just pressing F10 ingame.
There's more content , gameplay improvement (a nice semi autoexplore or lots of mouse-driven interfacing by example) and tons of bugs fixed too in comparison to the old ADOM, it's not only a graphic update

There's a non-free version of ADOM that is in the work (the free version will still be free) and contains more features (and is a steam thing too i think) named Adom Deluxe, can't care enough about it to look for links.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:15:12 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2015, 08:41:08 pm »

I just noticed that pre-release 60 has been released to the public a bit more than a week ago :
http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2015/08/adom-r60-released-to-general-public.html

Still missing a lot of the crowdfunding goals actually
Most of the missing stuff i checked 2 years ago are still not implemented, the only new thing i read about since the last time i played were the inclusion of "random" additional dungeons in the world map, didn't found one yet but i have not played much Adom since the last year.

The biggest change are the menu and interface that has been redone and include a lot more mouse-driven control on the game, and more graphics and sounds, their current focus seems to be on their steam "deluxe" version.
And of course very welcomed bunch of bugfixes that's always good to see the game improving :)

I hope they'll remember the crowdfunding goals, there's a lot waiting to get implemented.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2015, 10:53:06 pm »

I have no confidence in the kickstarter. They are not putting alot of time into the game and they are going to require kickstarter people to pay again on steam to get new features. He is just making excuses.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2015, 07:34:55 am »

Nah, I think Biskup and team will make good on everything eventually once they get over this Steam hurdle which proved trickier than initially estimated---pretty sure the plan is to go full steam ahead on the remaining new quests and content once that's taken care of alongside any launch period firefighting of bugs and such.

It was definitely a longer and more ambling route than anybody would've foreseen, but they'll pretty well get there.  Heh, through it all, he still probably holds the title for among the best end results successful campaigns on IndieGoGo.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2015, 01:01:22 am »

ADOM gets released on November 16 and will cost 15$/€
I'm excited.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/333300

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2015, 03:54:04 am »

Gaa, you guys and your "other games" *shakes tiny fist*.

ADOM was my first roguelike love. It was because of Silfir that I every played Dwarf Fortress, and it was someone here who got me into Crawl (which I currently play the crap out of, although I am not very good). Dare I go back to ADOM again, will my obsession defeat me?

I have a beastfighter ultra, Chaos god, Troll merchant, and various other victories - archers and wizards, for example, but those were all a loooong time ago, back in the days just after the release of 1.1.1.

My fave ADOM achievements:
I once managed to get the cute dog as my first kill (that was a troll of course, pretty tricky otherwise, and even though it escaped the PC, I don't think it survived to Dwarftown.
Heading into Terinyo and killing everything there as my first act.
Completing the Arena Challenge with a Blinger, only to reach an impass in a bonus fight with a moloch.

Now I feel all nostalgic. As soon as this Crawl tourney is over, I am totally going to download ADOM again :)
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2015, 09:27:43 am »

I don't know. I didn't know they had a Kickstarter campaign. :x

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2015, 10:28:47 am »

I don't remember if it was the original plan, but the current one is :

- have the free version still free with the features from the indiegogo campaign (currently still lacking some of them)
- have the commercial (steam) version not free but with more features than the indiegogo campaign (and same as the free version it is still lacking some of the indiegogo features)

the difference between the free and commercial version :
http://www.adom.de/home/faq.html

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 10:38:07 am by Robsoie »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2016, 10:19:11 am »

Have acquired ADOM from Steam. Love it.
Any tips for a noob?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2016, 11:52:17 am »

Die. Learn. Hopefully don't die next time.

As a noob, you should probably stick to the more physically brawny races/classes, as they have an easier early game. Trolls, orcs, drakelings, and dwarves are all good choices.

If you browse a couple pages back in this thread you can find links to the guidebook and wiki (or you could prolly just google for them). If you want to play spoiler free that's fine, but this game has many secrets and unexplained systems which will probably get you killed if you don't read up on them.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2016, 12:58:15 pm »

I think about 2 big spoilers you really should know about before playing, it wouldn't be really a problem if it was about early game as re-rolling early death isn't a problem, but they're going to happen after many hours invested on a character, and it's always really annoying to lose a character you're playing for so many hours with and started to get attached to :

Spoiler: hello kitty (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: scream (click to show/hide)

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2016, 07:23:48 am »

I knew nothing about this game till I read this thread. But I noticed two things at their site.
1. If this was originally an ASCII game, how'd they get tiles like that?
2. The free vs. pay version, seems like other than "upgrades" looks like you pay to cheat, and then brag how good a cheater you are with a posted high score.

Oh, and if those are "improvements" to the game, guess what future upgrades will be...

Goatmaan
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 07:33:32 am by Goatmaan »
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2016, 07:58:41 am »

I knew nothing about this game till I read this thread. But I noticed two things at their site.
2. The free vs. pay version, seems like other than "upgrades" looks like you pay to cheat, and then brag how good a cheater you are with a posted high score.

Oh, and if those are "improvements" to the game, guess what future upgrades will be...

Goatmaan

1. They made them?
2. The pay version is also always several updates ahead of the free version. Also I don't see how being able to customize the difficulty is cheating. Furthermore lowering the difficulty decreases your score.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2016, 08:05:32 am »

Most modern "ASCII" games are really using sprites that look like ascii characters, and its relatively simple to swap in tiles instead. These guys did a ton of work on the engine to make the tiles look nice because they wanted the game to appeal to a broader audience.

What cheating are you talking about? There are various modes and difficulty levels. That is pretty common these days. Even Crawl has different play modes. Most roguelikes have a 'cheat' mode, like wizard mode. Even Rogue had that, I believe.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2016, 11:01:12 am »

Is this really any better than the version before he decided to start selling it? I mean, that was pretty much complete, quite balanced and just generally good.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9