Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: No ADOM topic? ADOM topic now!  (Read 16024 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: No ADOM topic? ADOM topic now!
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2016, 12:05:06 pm »

What cheating are you talking about? There are various modes and difficulty levels. That is pretty common these days. Even Crawl has different play modes.

When you mention Crawl's 'different play modes', are you talking about Sprint? I don't think that's really related to what Goatmaan was talking about. A better example would perhaps be ToME with its donator vault (which is P2W degeneracy made for the casual scum encroaching on our glorious tradition).
It's hard to tell what Goatman is talking about because he isn't very clear, but yes I was talking about sprint mode, zot defense, arena mode, etc.

As to the rest, I guess I don't see why it would matter what others do to enjoy a single player game that never affects you.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2017, 10:03:14 pm »

some useful bump

Took me by surprise but in early november there has been a new public release (the last one was from 2 years ago) : ADOM 2.3.8 (release 81)
http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2017/11/adom-238-is-being-released-to-general.html
downloads :
http://www.adom.de/home/downloads.html

Haven't tested yet to see what was new, as in 2 years i imagine a lot of the interface stuff finally got in (and the download size seems to have inflated a lot).
No idea how stable it is either regarding bugs.

They're currently working on 3.0.x as i noticed some of the blog entries about pre-release of it for backers

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2017, 08:36:45 am »

OK, now that there's an ADOM topic...

How the heck do y'all get past the CoC Graveyard? I've never seen beyond it, because all my best characters meet their untimely end there.

Specifically, if you're a melee class like a Troll Barbarian or a Dwarven Paladin, how are you even supposed to survive against the vampires? They just chip away at stats until you're basically dead. I've been able to handle the liches pretty well, though.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2017, 10:04:49 am »

Gray Elven Wizards, typically. Aging is pretty much useless against them, whereas a Troll can get aged to death quite fast. They also excel at nuking from range. If you have some form of permanent invisibility, it's almost like cheating.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2017, 01:25:42 pm »

The only character i managed to win with (and a normal win, not one of the special or extended one) was a Grey Elf Wizard, from before the adom resurrection campaign.
I splashed so many other type of character that i may be inclined to suggest such a character to everyone having too hard of a time in some situation, as once you can get this combo running (i mean surviving enough) it's becoming powerful.

And with the amount of books a wizard will find (it's one of the trait of the wizard class, finding more spellbooks) you can keep your collection of spells stock for much longer without having to run as often in those annoying and often lethal spell-less downtime as other magic based class would do (as they find spellbooks more rarely).

Anyways, finally got a try with current public release after downloading those 500mb and was very impressed by the presentation, it's really polished now in comparison to the last public release (from 2 years ago).
The right click on anything giving you a menu of possible action is great for people that have difficulty to remember all the key shortcuts (you can still use them).

I ran into a problem in my first fight with my newly created character : the fight messages seem to be delayed 1 turn, by when you kill something it's only the turn after that the games tell it to you, and it seems every game message have that delay.

I looked in their board and it's indeed a bug not a design , and someone had a solution to fix it :
Start your game. When in the game ESC and Go to Settings, then game settings. Change from Tiles to Mini Tiles. Apply settings. Go back to game settings and change back to Tiles. Apply the settings. Wa-Lah!
If you have this problem and use ASCII or mini-tiles or double mini-tiles I would suggest changing modes and changing back.

or
Switching to ASCII mode and back again by pressing F10 twice fixes it as well and is easier than going through the settings.

fortunately worked for me (only tried the F10 switching )
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 01:28:33 pm by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2017, 02:01:35 pm »

I used to get through the graveyard just by digging to the stairs, if I didn't have a character that could deal with hordes of undead.

Aging's my bane... I had a quickling'd troll beastfighter who got aged to death by a Ghost King about five steps away from a Chaos God win. That was a fun facepalm moment...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2017, 06:40:49 pm »

Didn't expected that kind of demise for a newly started character.
Was running a grey elf wizard, was lucky enough to start with - 2 - magic missile book, so after learning tons of stock spells from this i thought i was settled for a while even in the case i was super unlucky and couldn't find more type of bolts (shouldn't ever happen with a wizard class).

So after getting to Terinyo and triggering the lost puppy quest by speaking to the little girl, i went to the related dungeon, as usual.

On the 2nd level of it i ran into an ant hole, you know those that regularly spawn ants until you destroy enough of them to spawn their queen and the hole become blocked after that.

As it was between me and the possible downstair location, i retreated to the stairs and waited ( w - 5 ) , magic bolted every ants coming one by one, w - 5 to get back some mana .
This proved nice additionally to level up my character, even if a couple of time i had to go overboard with losing health to cast the killing spell, the leveling was going nicely.
w - 5 , hmm maybe the ant queen is coming now ? Not sure if i can take it, i'll have to shoot a couple of magic bolt and evaluate if it's enough damage or if i must retreat to stairs and forget the puppy quest.
It's coming ... Oh, that's not an ant queen, it's a writhing mass of primal chaos .
Must be kidding ? maybe i'm reading this wrong we're on the level 2 of the puppy dungeon, let's see ... no no, it's a writhing mass of primal chaos.

Hmm, maybe that's a variation of what i am thinking this is (one of the endgame monster that i had met with my most successful characters in the past), new adom has more monsters than old adom after all, let's go with a magic bolt ! The spell has leveled up several time with my use on ants, so it's good enough i think for that point of the game.
Thing shrug it, oh it moved several tiles on that turn, let's try again , magic bolt !
That damned thing shruh it again, and now it's again moving several tile in a turn, that's way too close, time to run away , i took speed 2 times and long stride too as usual as my first skills taken from the leveling up, so i'm super fast.

Yet the thing do not care and is now next to me and strike.
You feel corrupted!
You lose blood!
You die...
:o

So no, it wasn't a new variant of the monster i was thinking it was, it was actually that end game monster, probably leveled to this kind of dungeon, but still super strong, super shrugging every spell , super resistant and super fast.

Checking around the adom board i noticed that other people got this kind of super early game fate, some people mentionned that what probably happened is a corruption trap was generated somehow in that level and that a monster for some reason repeatedly triggered that trap to accumulate corruption enough to be transformed in that horrible bad thing.
A message about something serious happening probably was displayed at some point, but very likely missed it as after a while you don't even read those message anymore unfortunately.

Looks like my bad luck must have reached a level up for that situation to happen :D, i wonder if next time i'm going to run into Andor Drakon in Terinyo :D

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2017, 02:50:40 am »

If I've got a Gray Elven Wizard, I usually pick up the little girl's dog quest but skip the Puppy Cave itself. I head to Lawenilothehl for a mugger first kill, grab the Pick Pockets skill from Yergius and browse Barnabas' shop inventory to hopefully ID a few potions or scrolls, then do a run of the Small Cave/Unremarkable Dungeon to find the High Mountain Village. If you're going for an Archmage Wizard, you actually can use a wish to get a cute dog and complete the quest for the little girl without ever entering the cave.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2017, 01:26:08 pm »

Found a dungeon feature i never saw before (as i guess they were added in the last 2 years) : moving walls
While grinding for some more XP i ran into a corridor and noticed that every 2 or 3 turns, the walls at some point of that corridor were moving down, closing the corridor, or opening it again, or leading into other corridors/rooms.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2017, 06:27:52 pm »

Odd, the only time I remember anything close to that is...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wonder what happens if you're standing in the way when it moves?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2017, 07:37:36 pm »

You move with it, good way to reach another room/corridor quicker.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2017, 08:48:42 am »

After reaching the dwarven town, time to start those quests (i still find annoying that i have to type "quest" manually everytime i talk to the dwarf lord, i don't understand why it's not automated like when you talk to any other quest giver or why isn't there a simple drop down menu for that specific dialogue with the various subjects, with all the polishing ADOM got it's odd there's still this eighties-like text game stuff in there)

It's been a long time i haven't crossed the Animated Forest level.

Fortunately it was far from my first time so i was very well prepared and it looks like the past version techniques still work good , just avoiding to attack any tree and waiting for opening to walk while in coward tactic (for max DV bonus) and invisible (as i have a lot of that spell in stock) has managed to get my character to the stairs with no trouble, i didn't even need the 2 shields to add more DV and avoid accidental attack.

Past experience having taught me that the Dwarven Halls shortcut to avoid the animated forest is a bit too much of a lottery when you start to like your character, i prefered this time go through the forest instead, much less risky once you're correctly prepared for it.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:50:47 am by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2017, 10:43:07 pm »

One thing I always liked doing was taking an edited/scummed character and just seeing how long I could survive in the Animated Forest. It's actually a surprisingly good place to level... if you don't mind the considerable risk of death if you start flinging fireballs.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2017, 06:13:27 am »

It used to be an incredible place to get lots of item too, as once you had your ears prepared with beewax you could drag the Banshee from her level up to the Animated Forest , and the intense carnage she was doing (poor trees never stood a chance) was generating tons of loot.

I think it was one of the first change of the "resurrection" campaign, the dev made the tree immune to the Banshee insta-kill wail, so unfortunately that tactic isn't possible anymore in current version, you'll have to go back to old  winbeta 4 in order use the Banshee as a WMD.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:15:54 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2017, 09:39:00 am »

Noticed on the adom blog an entry that had some statistic of its development in 2017 :
http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2017/12/adom-made-indiedb-top-100-now-lets-try.html

One of them seems to announce an " Ultimate ADOM" :
We have managed to get funding in order to hopefully produce the ultimate next-generation roguelike experience: Ultimate ADOM.
Never heard about that one before (and checking the indiegogo page of the resurrection crowdfunding campaign, it wasn't one of the target) and the linked page does not say much out of using the unity engine and being muti-platform.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9