Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: No ADOM topic? ADOM topic now!  (Read 15944 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: No ADOM topic? ADOM topic now!
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2017, 08:24:32 pm »

Call me paranoid, but I absolutely don't trust that he can make this good. ADOM 2 is abandoned and the revival of ADOM 1 wound up, in my opinion, adding nothing but bloat and further unbalancing to an already fairly complete and fun game.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2017, 09:59:55 pm »

I'm not sure where's the bloat, the world was pretty empty before and is just slightly less empty now with the few optional dungeons added with their own quests line (Ice Queen that is available from start and the other new ones that are part of a new quest and will appear only when you get into that new quest).

The balance of the game isn't really changed, you die at more or less the same locations as in the past, the annoying stuff is still annoying with important message being always easy to miss, the need of spoiler for specific stuff still need reading spoiler instead of learning from ingame reveal/discovery etc...

You have the bugfixing that is always good to have, and for those interested by it the nice user friendly interface and the optional graphical version (you can still switch with F10 between graphic and ascii at any time) .

The only relative bloat are those 6 random dungeons that serves no purpose currently, there's nothing cool or boss fight to have when reaching a random dungeon bottom, it just feels unfinished there and added "just because", you'll need to get into two of them to acquire two objects to trigger one of the new quest though, but that new quest is one of the new optional ones, so not required to even try it.

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2017, 02:33:49 pm »

The last time I played ADOM was when there were no graphics. What's changed since then?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2017, 03:09:40 pm »

Graphics (still can switch between graphics and ASCII anytime by pressing F10)
Sounds and music
Interface and menu redesigned (and nicely polished)
Mouse support (still possible to use only keyboard if wanted)
New optional quests (several new locations related to them added)
Uniques monsters (extremely rare to find one)
More monsters, items, artifacts, corruptions
New races and classes (Mist Elves, Rattlings - Chaos Knight, Duelists)
Old Bugs fixed
New Bugs added :D

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2018, 10:00:21 pm »

Adom 3.0.6 released for everyone :
http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2018/01/adom-306-released-to-general-public.html

changelog since the last public release (it was Adom 2.3.8 ) :
http://www.adom.de/home/changelog.html

And from the blog entry :
With this release our crowdfunding campaign comes full circle: We are officially done!
From now on we will focus our development effort on Ultimate ADOM and run ADOM in a kind of support mode (which means: it gets about 20% of our time for attention to fix bugs and add new features and content)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:03:18 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2019, 10:44:11 pm »

Time to call for a necromantic rise for a good reason : it had escaped my watch but Adom 3.3.3 has been released for everyone in the end of january
https://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2019/01/big-release-day-adom-333-has-been.html
it sure is big with more than 500mb, probably music/sound and all those tiles and sprites can be costly.

Changelog is still at the same place :
https://www.adom.de/home/changelog.html

edit : just gave a try and went back to 3.0.6 , i had a massive performance issue in the inventory , considering it's only text on black background it's hard to understand why there's such incredible lag in them.
While there's no such problem in the actual game (world map, dungeons, etc...)

Checked around if there was something wrong with my settings, but it looks like even those using the steam version got this problem :
https://steamcommunity.com/app/333300/discussions/0/3441214221473460852/

3.0.6 had none of those inventory performance problem
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:47:12 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2020, 08:22:54 pm »

a year necro bump, but it's a helpfull one, maybe :D

While Adom is still at version 3.3.3 both the commercial and the public releases since, there was a severe problem in that latest version : the inventory screen had incredible amount of lag (for something that is completely unremarkable visually as it's only text) that made me completely give up .

Took by some nostalgia i decided to give it another try, with hopefully my slight system upgrade since a year would at least help me try the new stuff from 3.3.3 instead of going back to the 3.0.6 version.

And ... same massive lag in the inventory for no obvious reason.

Googled a bit to see if someone, somewhere, sometime in that elapsed year found a solution, and indeed there was one in early march :
https://steamcommunity.com/app/333300/discussions/0/1747898210752691532/

In Adom main menu go to Settings
Then go to Expert Settings and click on the [P]roceed into expert territory
Choose "c - control framerate and CPU usage"
Then "r - select the renderer and flags used by NotEye"
from there you can choose "s - use NotEye old renderer"
yeah, basically the new NotEye render was going nuts for some reason in the inventory page

And that's it (if it does not solve the problem, you can use instead "f - use the software fallback" but the old renderer of NotEye should work).

You can also lower the CPU percentage in the expert settings - control framerate and cpu usage, no reason for a turn based game to use lots of it, 30 or 40% on my test was way enough (at a 30fps limit, as it does not make a difference to have higher fps there). The "economy mode" lower a bit the CPU use too and get rid of the "jumpy" sprite (a feature that may or not be up to someone else taste)

Finally, going to be able to experience those new side quests and zones from 3.3.3

edit :
If nothing works for you, as an alternative you can just go to the "Settings" -> "Game Settings" and change Mode : tiles to Mode : ASCII , with the old NotEye render in ASCII there should be no performance/framerate trouble at all

That or wait for a future Adom update to have this noteye regression hopefully fixed .. if there's an update (as it's been slightly more than a year without one)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:57:28 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2020, 01:04:41 pm »

Are molochs still the fastest thing in the game?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2020, 01:10:15 pm »

I don't remember moloch being anywhere that can be called fast.
But it's been years i haven't managed to get a character survive enough to reach a point where moloch are spawning so no idea if they got some speed increase.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2020, 01:24:37 pm »

Molochs are supposed to slow. Like, really slow. Base speed of 60, whereas a PC will usually have, if I remember correctly, a base speed of 100. They also hit like a goddamn freight train, and have a very high PV. Hilariously, a Weaponsmith PC can make an obscene amount of eternium out of one of their 15000s armors... if they can somehow lug it to a forge.

Might be quicklings you're thinking of, which are the exact opposite - super fast, near-impossible to hit, but dies pretty easy when actually struck.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2020, 01:26:43 pm »

Are molochs still the fastest thing in the game?

I'm pretty sure that (normal) molochs have <100 speed, making them slower than a baseline player... they're basically walking piles of armor. Low speed, monster damage rolls, low DV, ridiculously high PV, so you want to fight them with phase daggers or weapons with piercing. Filk's the fastest thing, followed by the various flavors of non-unique quicklings.

Edit: Whoops, swapped PV and DV.

Update: Well, that was fun. First session in... over 15 years: Trollish Weaponsmith, I do the Carpenter quest for Healing, forgetting that you can only get it as a non-chaotic, so I figure I'll go turn NC by doing Puppy Cave and maybe killing a few guys in the other town. I hit up the Puppy Cave, about three and a half days in. I reach the last floor about 20 minutes too late... and run out of food (despite having food preservation...) so I have to eat the cute puppy corpse. Okay, fine, I'll just go kill Hotz for the alignment boost; if I die, this run is evidently cursed anyways. Success! Then I go over to Jharod and, instead of chatting with him, flub my keypresses and kill him.

What's with getting Healing from Kranf Neist now? I seem to have permanently lost my head equipment slot, and am taking random damage/corruption now every few turns?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:44:43 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2020, 06:46:52 pm »

Could be a bug? Getting Healing from Kranf does give corruption and removes your head slot, but it shouldn't be permanent/recurring.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2020, 07:26:05 pm »

I seem to have permanently lost my head equipment slot, and am taking random damage/corruption now every few turns?

Regarding damage: Are you poisoned or starving?

Regarding corruption: Did the town generate with a DL of 10? Did a corrupting artifact find its way into your inventory?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2020, 07:42:01 pm »

Molochs are supposed to slow. Like, really slow. Base speed of 60, whereas a PC will usually have, if I remember correctly, a base speed of 100. They also hit like a goddamn freight train, and have a very high PV. Hilariously, a Weaponsmith PC can make an obscene amount of eternium out of one of their 15000s armors... if they can somehow lug it to a forge.

Might be quicklings you're thinking of, which are the exact opposite - super fast, near-impossible to hit, but dies pretty easy when actually struck.

Used to be they were slow, and their armor made them slower, and caused a wrap-around error.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2020, 07:53:44 pm »

Could be a bug? Getting Healing from Kranf does give corruption and removes your head slot, but it shouldn't be permanent/recurring.

Hum. Could have sworn he only removed the equipment in the slot (so you had to remember to re-equip whatever was there after), not removed the slot entirely. That kind of changes things a lot.

Regarding damage: Are you poisoned or starving?

Regarding corruption: Did the town generate with a DL of 10? Did a corrupting artifact find its way into your inventory?

Damage: No; satiated, actually. Not poisoned. Far as I can tell, it triggered about every 10 turns since getting Healing.

Corruption: I really doubt it, turning in killing Jharod/getting Healing gives an artifact now. It was maybe 10 days of game-time, so the lategame background corruption wouldn't've kicked in yet, and I was getting it in wilderness combat encounters too.

Both effects lasted long enough for me to walk from town to the 4th floor of the CoC where I got whittled down... the constant damage I was taking sure didn't help.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9