Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Easy Egg Production Fix  (Read 2748 times)

Duck Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Easy Egg Production Fix
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:07:19 am »

Add an option to prevent removing eggs from the nest box, similar to how hives function.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Egg Production Fix
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 09:30:51 am »

+1 support for this. I hate having to forbid eggs anytime that I'm lucky enough to see something on a nest box.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:26:42 am »

Iirc you can already forbid the eggs in the nestbox (and the nestbox) already. This has to be done manualy though. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 06:35:01 pm »

Yeah, but you can't set it up forever, or automatically.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Duck Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 06:48:32 pm »

Yeah, but you can't set it up forever, or automatically.

Precisely, I picture a designation similar to forbid gathering of honey on hives.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 07:29:39 pm »

You can set up the nest boxes you want for breeding in a borough (1 or 2 tiles should be sufficient) that is forbidden to all your dorfs.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 08:29:05 pm »

You can set up the nest boxes you want for breeding in a borough (1 or 2 tiles should be sufficient) that is forbidden to all your dorfs.

Oh, burrow.

You can't make burrows that are forbidden to all your dorfs. Anti-burrows are a common feature request, but they ain't a thing yet.

Duck Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 07:26:16 am »

Oh, burrow.

You can't make burrows that are forbidden to all your dorfs. Anti-burrows are a common feature request, but they ain't a thing yet.

Truth. Plus once antiburrows are added what happens when you redesignate an egg layer to a different pen and your dwarfs spam "cannot path" because its in that forbidden burrow chillin in its nestbox? This is a suggestion to make nest boxes function in a way we have already become accustomed too in similar ways to how coffins and hives function with designation on the item itself after its placed. One of the hardest parts about this game is the lack of continuity with function...not that I expect more from an alpha, but it should be considered nonetheless.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:02:36 pm »

I just stick a door on the nesting area and lock it whenever I want the animal population to increase.

But an (O)rder whether or not to harvest eggs could be nice, too. Or maybe a setting on a box by box basis, but that could be complicated...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 09:05:08 pm »

Yeah, ways to do it manually each time, needing active monitoring. What we're asking for is a by-box way of doing it. Using pastures, we could set it up so high-egg producing boxes are harvested, while things you want to breed, like jabberers, don't get harvested.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 12:41:02 am »

Seems like it should be handled similarly to cleaning traps: If the nest box is forbidden, don't allow collecting eggs from it.

That can probably be handled by storing the eggs inside the nest box building, with a new "Gather eggs" job (part of food hauling) to get them out.  As long as they still hatch that way...
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 05:14:44 am »

Turning off eggs in your food stockpiles should do the trick as well.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 06:30:59 pm »

Turning off eggs in your food stockpiles should do the trick as well.
Especially if you turn off the eggs of the critter you wish to breed.

Reading this thread has made me second guess my own habits of egg production, I realized I don't actually know if placing a nestbox and forbidding it allows laying and prevents collection. I thought it did, but now I have to double check  ???

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 06:58:02 am »

What would be ideal, is to actually implement advanced animal population control that works like the kitchen screen. Say you can set a "target" number of turkeys in the fortress, e.g. 20 turkeys. Then, if you have 17 turkeys, 3 hatchable eggs will be automatically forbidden. The only issue should be what to do if those egg's mother is killed or something. You'd want to avoid manually unforbidding the eggs, or the system could eventually run out of turkeys by accident. So, say if the mother's egg duties are interrupted such that she can't return, then any forbidden eggs in her nest have the forbidden tag removed.

Default target level for any animal will be null "~" or something, and the game won't take any special action unless you set it.

If you set a target for e.g. sheep, then excess sheep should be targeted for slaughter, but the game should try and maintain a balance of young and mature sheep, male and female, but probably culling mature gelded males before any else.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:05:41 am by Reelya »

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 09:58:59 am »

I just stick a door on the nesting area and lock it whenever I want the animal population to increase.

But an (O)rder whether or not to harvest eggs could be nice, too. Or maybe a setting on a box by box basis, but that could be complicated...

Not the most helpful when the eggs you want to keep are from wild animals who've been trained and will need more training.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.
Pages: [1] 2