Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bountiful Beastfolk BETA (40.18) v.0.2.1  (Read 10466 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Bountiful Beastfolk BETA (40.18)
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 02:02:50 pm »

Quick question: will each beast man civ have its own ethics, such that they occasionally go to war with one another as well as with the default civs?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bountiful Beastfolk BETA (40.18) v.0.1.1
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 02:19:33 pm »

It's a possibility; depends on how the worldgen plays out. At the moment the plan is to have multiple variations of at least some of the civs, which will be aggressive and warlike, like goblins, or skulking item thieves, like kobolds. I might even simplify the biomes if need be, for instance splitting forest civs into "temperate" and "tropical" instead of  differentiating between wet, dry, and coniferous, etc. Aggressiveness could depend on whether the creature is a carnivore or herbivore, and whether the creature steals items. Kea-men thieves would be appropriate... I'll add this to the list!

Anyway, v.0.1.1 is up! Marine civs now stick to bodies of water, they're not quite as prosperous within their climates (BIOME_SUPPORT  switched from 10 to 7) and I've revamped their ethics - they're completely willing to eat sapients now, so don't be surprised or offended when the harp seal man caravan brings you their fine ~dwarf hair earrings~.

PS. I haven't had time to test this one yet, so there may be an emergency update later if I find something truly game-breaking.

UPDATE: Okay, this is worrying. Newest version does not hinder beastfolk progress in the slightest, in fact in the current version I've just generated a world completely devoid of dwarves, with the exception of 6 animated ones in service to a necromancer. Something's not right here. I think the civs are in need of a major reorganisation.

UPDATE 2: Genned another world with the same setting, 5k dwarves survived here, as well as 2k humans and 10k goblins. No elves. I think I was just very unlucky with the last one. Still gonna reorganise the civs though, there are SO MANY as it currently stands. I suppose it is hard not to dominate the world when they take up  14 out of 19 civilisations - they're guaranteed to be at least three quarters of all civilization.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:52:42 pm by Ladygolem »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 04:40:54 pm »

Maybe this would be easier if you group them under a smaller number of entities?

Like Carnivorous aquatic, herbivorous temperate, etc. This might still get quite numerous though...

Given that the beast men are supposedly quite primitive, it would make sense if you limited their population and number of sites. These tags should let you do this:
[MAX_POP_NUMBER:#]
[MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:#]

Then you can limit the number of starting civs to 1:
[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:1]

You could also move some of the skulking creatures to caves to free up some space.

A couple of these beast civs going missing during world gen isn't too noticeable, but no elves surviving is kinda bad. Sure you can magma tiger men but well... just not the same :P
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 04:53:23 pm »

I was planning to limit the civ numbers actually, I think I'll do it for the major reorganization. I do want them to be more or less ubiquitous, so you'd have multiple beastfolk species around no matter where you go - though obviously not to this extent. Right now, I'm wondering how much biome leeway I can give them before it starts seeming weird, like getting anaconda men in a tundra, etc. Basically, even if I end up with only one surviving civ of every vanilla entity, I'll be happy.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 04:56:40 pm »

The max pop and site pop numbers don't seem to work at the moment: civ and site populations will still exceed what you set.
Max civ number does work, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 05:07:16 pm »

The max pop and site pop numbers don't seem to work at the moment: civ and site populations will still exceed what you set.
Bummer. In that case you may just have to spawn a large number of civs at the start of worldgen, for instance with 14 beast civs, spawn 28 total civs so at least half are non-beastmen civs. Which won't work nicely with small maps...

There is no other way to sabotage their expansion?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 05:07:46 pm »

Looks very interesting, ptw

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 05:31:46 pm »

Bummer. In that case you may just have to spawn a large number of civs at the start of worldgen, for instance with 14 beast civs, spawn 28 total civs so at least half are non-beastmen civs. Which won't work nicely with small maps...

There is no other way to sabotage their expansion?

This is why I'm figuring out a way to reduce the total number of entities, though I have not tested what happens when maxcivs=1. For reference, if anyone might want to suggest some mergers, the list as it stands is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just looking at this list now, I'd say the forest entities can be safely consolidated into temperate/tropical as a start. Maybe plains, wetlands combined as well? Insects, being ubiquitous to all non-freezing biomes, could be the basis for the skulking civ, with the folk based off thieving animals like keas etc. added as well. I'm rethinking the carnivore/herbivore split - I'd like for it to be not immediately obvious at embark which ones are going to be friendly or hostile just judging by species. Perhaps something like:

which admittedly is one more entity than before, but now we get the full range of possible 'factions' as it were. All but the thief entity would be limited to a single civ per world, which means if you want more or less beastfolk you can change the size of the world accordingly.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 06:47:07 pm »

Im not sure whether or not the game will automatically keep herbivorous species from hunting and exporting meat and other animals bits, which would seem weird. Might need some testing.

You could of course also merge all tropical forest biomes, and the same for temperate. It doesn't perfectly respect the animals native habitat but then again, they can build houses.

Also a weird idea: what if you removed all their supported biomes (or give them something silly like OCEAN) and gave them only a START_BIOME. (or EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME, Im not sure how they differ). Would this limit them to 1 city?

If they only end up with 1 city then you could spawn quite a few at the start without crowding things. SETTLEMENT_BIOME could give them some small sprawl.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 07:56:18 pm »

Haven't tried restricting them to a start biome, but with settlement biomes and no available main site biomes in their area you will end up with enormous hordes of hamlets around only one town.
I make Spellcrafts!

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bountiful Beastfolk BETA (40.18) v.0.2.0
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 08:19:35 pm »

Updated to version 2.0.0!

New features:

- Entity revamp! There's now seven friendly, seven hostile, and one thieving entity added. There's no significant difference between hostile and friendly variations of the same entity; it's supposed to represent various factional disagreements - the beastfolk are not one unified empire like the humans or elves! All civs but the thieving are limited to a single instance per map for now; this may have been a nerf too far as they're having trouble surviving in significant numbers. I'll try to fix this in the next version

-Completely custom new language!

Now appropriately animal-like! (Generated with DFLangcreate from only animal onomatopeia)

Haven't been able to test it too thoroughly yet, (the fort I was hoping to get invaded in died to an inexplicable tantrum spiral before I had the chance) so any help would be appreciated! Thank you for everyone's support!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 09:35:43 pm »

Nice, ill be adding this when testing my own mods. Once I finally finish them. These things always tend to take much much longer than I anticipate...

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 09:43:04 pm »

Nice, ill be adding this when testing my own mods. Once I finally finish them. These things always tend to take much much longer than I anticipate...

Trust me, I know this feeling... so many mods, so little time.

Minor update, fixed some typos and raised the civ cap to 2. Also edited the thief entity to actually allow theft in their raw, oops.

That's much better in terms of beastfolk pops. I'm happy with this.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:27:29 pm by Ladygolem »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bountiful Beastfolk BETA (40.18) v.0.2.1
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 08:06:26 pm »

Posting to watch. I like the sound of this mod, and I'm looking forward to seeing it cleaned up and out of beta status. Thanks!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Bountiful Beastfolk BETA (40.18) v.0.2.1
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 10:48:28 am »

I've created a mod that combines this with Late Medieval weapons and makes all the beastfolk playable civilizations, with full credit to this mod.  I've also created a Let's Play to showcase it.  Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Mod: Of MultiBeasts and Renassance
LP: Of Hamsterfolk and Sperm Whale Warriors
Pages: 1 [2]