Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf dies of thirst refusing to haul  (Read 1569 times)

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf dies of thirst refusing to haul
« on: November 25, 2014, 05:07:09 pm »

I just embarked, I had over 300 drinks. They seem to refuse to haul downstairs and they died of thirst with over 300 drinks in the wagon.
The refusing haul is new one on me but death by thirst has been common recently.
Is this a bug or is there something I don't know is happening. It seems to be happening in all of my games with the newest updates the last few weeks.
Is this happening to anyone else?
I am asking here because its happening more in Masterworks mod.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Dwarf dies of thirst refusing to haul
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 05:36:07 pm »

Your report makes little sense, if you say that it happens with the newest updates of the last few weeks, when you consider that Masterwork has not been updated in 3 months and still uses the old DF version.

My best guess is that the barrels/drinks are forbidden.

Its certainly nothing from the mod, otherwise there would be other reports.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hefateus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:03:11 pm »

I would say that the path is blocked having had a similar problem myself.

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 07:07:59 pm »

I thought maybe some how the game got corrupted or something not sure.
It started happening when I try to update the older version of vanilla version then it began to happen to all my games.
Seriously I don't got a clue I just started a month or so go and this been happening this last week it never happen before.
I am just trying to figure out what happen.
How can something be forbidden if I haven forbid it?
How do I check paths?
My miners had no problem going downstairs why would rest of crew refuse to go down?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:12:11 pm by JDRX »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:23:52 pm »

I thought maybe some how the game got corrupted or something not sure.
It started happening when I try to update the older version of vanilla version then it began to happen to all my games.
Seriously I don't got a clue I just started a month or so go and this been happening this last week it never happen before.
I am just trying to figure out what happen.
How can something be forbidden if I haven forbid it?
How do I check paths?
My miners had no problem going downstairs why would rest of crew refuse to go down?
Okay so you updated your vanilla version and it ended up affecting every game? Did you update your Masterwork version? Because that would definitely cause problems, probably not that though so that is a bit strange. I'd say try downloading a completely new version of vanilla Dwarf Fortress and don't transfer any save or anything. Just start a new fortress and don't do anything in-game just do something else and check in to see if any of the dwarves are dehydrating.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 07:52:21 pm »

I downloaded Masterworks about 3 weeks in to get very old version of LNP, Since then I have probably downloaded in their own separate folders 2 updated versions of LNP, the Fantastic mod  and Reborn mod.
All I can say is I have read, sought out whatever info about how the game should work and how I should play it, and I got no clue about how to fix the thirst and few other things like zones not working and stockpiling and dwarf's gone buggy.
I am annoyed.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 08:05:24 pm »

-refuse to haul downstairs
are you digging a downstairway on the top level and 100% sure you have connecting up or up/down stairs on each level?

-My miners had no problem going downstairs why would rest of crew refuse to go down?
idk it sounds like your miners are getting rid of the stairs which lead back outside, or your using channeling to go down, which is a one-way deal. don't use channeling for that.

simple version, designate a downstairs (J) on the outside level, then X's (up/down staircase) directly below that, going down for the needed number of levels. Then mine rooms out on each level. all the rooms will be connected via the central stairway.

One fix for if you accidentally remove some carved stairs is to get a miner to build a new constructed staircase out of a boulder to replace the one you accidently mined.

I downloaded Masterworks about 3 weeks in to get very old version of LNP, Since then I have probably downloaded in their own separate folders 2 updated versions of LNP, the Fantastic mod  and Reborn mod.
All I can say is I have read, sought out whatever info about how the game should work and how I should play it, and I got no clue about how to fix the thirst and few other things like zones not working and stockpiling and dwarf's gone buggy.
I am annoyed.

Nothing's buggy like that you just don't know the basic commands. I know this because 1000's of other people play the game and nobody else is complaining about those bugs. Stockpiles work, zones work, stairs work. There are basic tutorials around that show you exactly what keys to press and what to do to get a basic fortress running.

Maybe start with just vanilla DF and go for mods later. The less extra stuff you have to learn at the start, the better.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:22:12 pm by Reelya »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 08:57:50 pm »

Hauling and drinking are fine, you're doing something wrong.

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 09:00:44 pm »

I really thought I learned at least how to set a stockpile. I am having the same issues in vanilla.
Fantastic things go little bit more smoother until the dwarf decides to die of thirst there but its not within few 15 minutes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 09:22:47 pm »

Try building an above ground settlement for the start, get stockpiles and basic workshops going near your caravan, maybe build a wooden wall to keep animals out.

That way you can work out a basic set-up without having to involve digging at all. I often do this because I can kick start some industries and don't have to wait for the miners to finish up the layout underground I have in mind. You can then shift the operation underground as needed, and know that you're not doing anything wrong with e.g. the stockpiling rules.

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 01:10:56 am »

Thanks Reyla I am getting better handle on the wall thing but it was few weeks ago I had issues.
I am in proess of deleting the folders I keep all the df mods in and I keep running into this weird issue.
I keep getting the message I can't delete because the program is in use and I don't know why quickfort would be running when it doesn't show up in my application process then I found this folder no clue but it was connected to LNP that showed up after installing LNP. Maybe there is one too in Masterworks but I have no clue what it means.
Its txt file called stderr and inside it says
WARNING: Field GRAZE_COEFFICIENT seems to be missing from file .\Dwarf Fortress 0.40.16\data\init\d_init.txt!
Does anyone know what this means?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 02:40:03 am »

That's a common Windows thing, sometimes it glitches that a file is still in use and you can't delete it until you reboot the system. Basically QuickFort locked that file for writing, and it never got unlocked again, either due to QuickFort crashing or a programming bug.

You could possibly get around that by just rebooting the explorer.exe shell (kill explorer.exe process in task manager, then File->New Task and run explorer.exe, I haven't checked to see if this helps you delete those "ghost" files, but you can get around a glitchy Windows Explorer this way.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:42:44 am by Reelya »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 03:40:20 pm »

If you know how, upload an archive of your bugged saves to the Dwarf Fortress File Depot, then post the link here (I might even suggest uploading your entire DF directory, but that is probably prohibitively large even when zipped). It's not a complex task but I'm not keen on walking someone through it.

If dwarves aren't drinking even though you brought drinks, I suspect you either brought what you thought was a drink but isn't, or your attempts to update DF, Masterwork, or the other modpacks broke the raws, which can have all kinds of effects material-wise. It wouldn't break pathing per se but it would probably affect what makes a valid drink and embark options, possibly stockpiling as well. There are way too many differences between 34.11 and 40.XX to able to just plop the new exe/raws into a mod and expect it to work without no problems.

As for that warning, it doesn't appear to be anything significant. The game is expecting a certain instructions from d_init (a value for GRAZE_COEFFICIENT) but for whatever reason it wasn't present. The GRAZE_COEFFICIENT option relates to how grass-feeding animals and wouldn't have anything to do with your problems.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 05:59:58 pm »

GRAZE_COEFFICIENT isnt even in Masterwork. You should really ask in general discussion or fortress mode.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::