Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rain Causing Floods  (Read 3802 times)

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rain Causing Floods
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:29:04 pm »

As title, and seemingly simple to implement. Rain should collect and potentially even create pools deep enough to not evaporate on any tiles, not just murky pool tiles.

This would also mean the need to protect your initial fortress entryway to not end up with a flooded fort.

Basically, every time a raindrop strikes it should add 1/7 water to the tile, no matter where it strikes.

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rain Causing Floods
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 11:05:03 pm »

That way any map with depressions and such would be unplayable, because in 1-2 years half of it could be flooded.

i think that to have something similar we would need to wait for a better rain/dainage/evaporation system, at yhe moment it's juat too simplyfied.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 01:07:27 am »

In RL the ground should be able to absorb the rain falls.
Unless the soil is already damp/soaked enough, or you don't have any soil at all.

But I do like this idea.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 02:37:36 am »

I've wanted this for years. For every raindrop hit:
(base % multiplier) * (modifier for ground absorbtion) * (modifier for biome) * (modifier for temperature) = 1/7th of water.

We should be able to make gutters to refill our reservoirs, and all that good stuff. Dwarves can make full-sized doors out of glass, but they can't figure out how to stick empty buckets outside to gather rainwater?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:38:11 am »

You can easily put buckets outside using stockpiles, the thing is that the rain won't actually fill the buckets.

I do agree that a rainwater collection system would be great.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 01:42:28 am »

I imagine a realistic version of this would severely drop FPS.  Every square inch of the map would be constantly updating water as its being hit by rain and then having water enter/leave the tile as the area floods.

At the very least rain water barrels should be in the game, or a way to designate something as a "resevoir" (perhaps have a smoothed stone pool, treat it with wax, floor it with a water proof material, etc) and have that fill with rain water like murky pools.  The water inside would be clean and safe for drinking/wound cleaning. 

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 01:57:05 am »

Well, you can make a system to collect rain rather currently. Its just kinda of obtuse. Rain will only collection on the Dried Pool tiles. You make a small collection pool around this one tile, and when its fall, you have a drain that leads your Water Tank.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 02:50:08 am »

Well, you can make a system to collect rain rather currently. Its just kinda of obtuse. Rain will only collection on the Dried Pool tiles. You make a small collection pool around this one tile, and when its fall, you have a drain that leads your Water Tank.

This requires you to have an already existing murky pool then connect your fort too it.  Realistically we should be able to create our own "murky pools" or at least set out barrels/buckets to collect rain water. 

Decidophobia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 04:07:13 am »

I'm not sure I care for flooding, but a way to gather rainwater in barrels would be very convenient.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 06:14:21 pm »

I've done a rain water collection system in the past.

By leaving most of the floor tiles of a [pond/pool] intact to collect rain water, and having a shaft to drain the 1/7th's as they occur.
the water then falls to the lowest point where it is easier to gain a depth enough to prevent evaporation.

Then for bonus points, you place a waterwheel inline with the falling water, and have it power a screw pump to clean the water of
its [Stagnant] tag so that you can top up your cistern with the rain water.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 06:27:55 pm »

The point of the suggestion though is to have more realistic rain collection systems. The method with using the murky pools only works if there are murky pools available.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 11:46:17 pm »

It's worth remembering that nothing exists beyond the map. It's unlikely your fortress will cover entire depression, and any water will be drained into vacuum beyond the map.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 08:12:07 am »

This could possibly be done with DFHack:

If you could set the terrain flags on normal squares to be "murky pool" flags, then rainwater should collect everywhere, and drain into rivers and off the map. I don't know whether DFHack can read/set those flags though, but if so a "raineverywhere" command could be cool! Just expect dwarves to get bashed around by waves from all the flooding.

I've also played with pool water systems: I dug out a tile next to the pool (you don't want to dig out the actual pool tile because they're limited supply), put a hatch in, and a pressure plate that opens the hatch if it detects water. If the map freezes over, you can set the pressure plate so that it leaves at least 2/7 water everywhere in the pool (open on 4/7 probably). Half-full water turns into a full block of ice and back to 7/7 when it thaws.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 08:15:06 am by Reelya »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 10:29:38 am »

The thing is, areas where rain overwhelms the ability of the ground to absorb it to the extent that it pools up and doesn't go away (as opposed to seasonal flooding, where it does so temporarily and regularly) are already lakes. It's handled in worldgen.
I see no reason why areas should suddenly start experience flooding when they're settled by dwarves, or visited by an adventurer. If it floods, it should be a seasonal occurence that is hardcoded in, or a worldgen lake.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 03:37:06 am »

The point of the suggestion though is to have more realistic rain collection systems. The method with using the murky pools only works if there are murky pools available.

Oh, of course I totally agree! Having rain barrels or even better build water towers like wind mills as 3x3 structures that could be bucketed by hand, or connected pumps & hatches could really help soften some of the dryer or hotter embarks. I've yet to have a Dorf melt in the heat, but I have had all the lakes dry up and stay dry.

Pages: [1] 2