Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What race would be the 'easiest' to start out as?  (Read 1484 times)

ChildofSolitude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What race would be the 'easiest' to start out as?
« on: November 30, 2014, 08:51:30 pm »

Before It's asked, I do have experience with dwarves in vanilla. I've made a couple of multi-year, 100+ forts (all of which have promptly been slaughtered when my sheriff goes to sleep during a riot or something), and I'm not entirely sure that simply restarting dwarf mode in Masterwork would be in my best interests. It does look quite a bit more complex, and I'm unsure if it would be the best experience for me to simply be a dwarf (unless, of course, It would be necessary for me to understand the rest of the mod.)

As well, I'd like to know if this mod adds a lot to Adventure mode, or if the only addition is indirect from the new races/creatures.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What race would be the 'easiest' to start out as?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 09:37:47 pm »

The "easiest" race depends on your playing style.

Warriors tend to like the Orcs, because they are better at surviving actual fights, making it less of an obligation to wall off your civilians.

Humans have access to a lot of things, in a less cluttered way than the current dwarves, but need to be "above ground", so it means a lot of building, rather than digging rooms, as well as quarry digging.
They are pretty weak, so walling off is nearly a necessity.

Dwarves play mostly like the vanilla, with a ton of added contents that clutter the various menus.
Still, it's things to do in addition to the vanilla, and none of it is required to survive.

The other races are a bit harder to play (in my experience), because they play really differently, and requires that you know your basics really well (gnomes and "power", for example), or introduce completely new mechanics (the skeletons/pilons).

The humans have the added benefit of offering a simple way to show off some of the other races' specialities (through trading and workshops), so if your basics are OK and you are not afraid of building above ground, it's a good way to discover the pack and the races.

For Adventure mode, it does have a lot of things, but it's completely all over the place, because MDF was never intended for this mode.
It has new slabs, or towns for other races, but you will often be frustrated of how it feels, compared to vanilla adventure mode, that is somewhat consistent.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 09:47:59 pm »

I recommend dwarves. Almost nothing changed. But you will have more powerful weapons/materials. You can play as usual until you see something interesting in some interesting workshops.
Oh, one thing. The farming is nerfed. Just don't expect to buy all the things of the first autumn caravan by selling roasted quarry bush leaves with dwarven syrup.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 02:32:59 am »

I'd actually recommend playing as the Kobolds to start out. They're like Humans basically, except you steal everything instead of trading and you need LOTS of leather. I don't like the way Humans play since they need large open spaces for their guilds AND you need to build above-ground to boot.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 03:06:06 am »

I've tried adventurer mode in Masterwork, and while it was before humans got changed which probably makes it either significantly more varied or absolutely ruins it, it worked out decently at the time. However it's important to remember that basically no civs in Masterwork use the city site type which in this older version of DF was the only one that existed. I believe I checked the raws for all of them and kobolds and humans are the only ones to use them, though drow and a few others had the tokens, but it seemed to be in a way where they weren't used so I'm pretty sure it's just kobolds and humans.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 05:04:47 am »

I'd actually recommend playing as the Kobolds to start out. They're like Humans basically, except you steal everything instead of trading and you need LOTS of leather. I don't like the way Humans play since they need large open spaces for their guilds AND you need to build above-ground to boot.
I personally build the main guild buildings underground, because they are mostly unused, and I make a second "quarry" that I floor for my industries (1-4 industry per floor, depending on the space needed).

Humans don't need that much space when you learn to combine open air digging with building.
You can make a lot of individual bedrooms in habitation towers, make your "above ground" farm in the underground soils, and then build over it for other purposes (your food industry, a dining room, living spaces...).

Not saying that the kobolds aren't any good, but as far as I can tell, they are a bit more advanced, with high reliance on high population, stealing and pets, not even having a reliable way to dig before you steal pickaxes from dwarves, meaning nearly no stone or metals before then.
They are fun to play, but I'd not recommend them as an easy race to play, but they are certainly not among the hard ones either.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:00:02 am »

Dwarves, Humans and Orcs are easy.

Warlocks, Hermit, Gnomes and Kobolds are hard.

Succubi I cant judge, because I havent played them, but I'd assume that they are more easy than hard.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 03:12:31 pm »

I really like the new buildings in Dwarf mode.  Just about every single resource can be acquired through new buildings, the trade and/or religion system.  I've been playing forts without any ore (and typically with few or no other veins) which gives me embarks with perfectly regular stone.  I like it because it allows me to smooth/engrave stone walls and have no strange colors going through my fort.  I use the glass industry to get early weapons, then the religion system to get metals for mid-game equipment. 

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 03:47:12 am »

Trying dwarf right away will get you way more options that you wish to have. Disabling most of the content in the launcher before generating your world will help.

Succubi are close to vanilla but you will be attacked at year 1 so you must know your early game military. Other orcs should be easy too.

It also add stuff to adv mode. In addition to the race options there is a lot more secrets to learn than necromancy.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:04:03 pm by Boltgun »