Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Buffing Elves: Your thoughts?  (Read 5426 times)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Buffing Elves: Your thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 01:07:48 am »

How 'bout some magic? It seems reasonable that, although physically and technologically weaker than dwarves (or anyone else, except maybe kobolds) the elves would command great magical powers to defeat their enemies.

In world gen, at least, elves are already a force to be reckoned with, mostly due to their giant war animals (giant lions and tigers, etc). They just need buffs for actual gameplay, where they are laughably easy to defeat. Maybe they should even be tougher than goblins? Give people a reason not to instantly piss them off.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 07:33:39 am »

With the material weakness system in the game, I think attacking dwarves with wooden weapons would make more sense if it was their version of cryptonite.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 07:38:20 am »

Do note that elves are the same size as dwarves. :D
This lifestyle also prompts natural athleticism, so I think that elves should have an innately high dodge skill and (if possible) high strength for their size in addition to a naturally high movement speed outside of combat (they run fast to make them more effective at harassing you).
So when modding it, increase the Strength modifier under the Castes as those values are based on the dwarven numerical system (as I believe).
While it can be argued that dwarves take to climbing and mountaineering or spelunking, those are usually done by certain instead of individual members of the society--that's a good point raised that having to climb trees (especially ones to support one of such stature) would equal such an affinity.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 08:33:19 am »

What about making them learn_faster.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 09:33:02 am »

How 'bout some magic? It seems reasonable that, although physically and technologically weaker than dwarves (or anyone else, except maybe kobolds) the elves would command great magical powers to defeat their enemies.

In world gen, at least, elves are already a force to be reckoned with, mostly due to their giant war animals (giant lions and tigers, etc). They just need buffs for actual gameplay, where they are laughably easy to defeat. Maybe they should even be tougher than goblins? Give people a reason not to instantly piss them off.

Yeah, I find it quite mysterious. In world-gen Elves win despite taking massive,massive casualties due to war animals being their only viable means of defense.

Basically, currently my method for buffing them in-game is to make each elf fiercer in terms of melee combat, restricting their melee weapons to actually effective ones (added when necessary) and making their archers actually effective through adding in more potent ranged weapons (as archery got nerfed to all hell in the recent updates).
I wonder if it's possible for elves to emit an AoE syndrome invisible to the player? Because if so they could passively buff all surrounding creatures with the quadruped body plan so they don't run away, get temporarily stronger/faster, etc.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 09:41:11 am »

I wonder if it's possible for elves to emit an AoE syndrome invisible to the player? Because if so they could passively buff all surrounding creatures with the quadruped body plan so they don't run away, get temporarily stronger/faster, etc.
They can do an "invisible" interaction. Any interaction without verb or target_verb tags will effectively be invisible to the player. And giving them an insanely high number of maximum targets will get the AoE effect.
I do stuff, I guess

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 10:10:58 am »

They can do an "invisible" interaction. Any interaction without verb or target_verb tags will effectively be invisible to the player. And giving them an insanely high number of maximum targets will get the AoE effect.

So it is feasible. Might be a good idea then, since thematically Elves are friends to all nature and that is why they bring it to you in cages so you can farm it or force it to fight horrible monsters.

EDIT: I looked into this. Its impossible to target creatures for interaction based on their body plan. The best I can think of is going through all creatures without CAN_SPEAK and giving them UTTERANCES and hope that doesn't cause any weirdness (since UTTERANCES can be targeted).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:22:59 pm by MDFification »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 03:29:38 am »

I remember reading in a thread once a long time ago about a mod that had elven caravans with white tiger riders as guards... Maybe one could mod certain creatures that the elves bring with them? Sort of like the goblins bringing trolls? Maybe the elves could bring/ride tree ents? I tried searching for the thread where I heard about these guards... but I didn't find it.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 04:34:57 am »

EDIT: I looked into this. Its impossible to target creatures for interaction based on their body plan. The best I can think of is going through all creatures without CAN_SPEAK and giving them UTTERANCES and hope that doesn't cause any weirdness (since UTTERANCES can be targeted).
Alternatively, if you like tedious stuff, you can slap a [CREATURE_CLASS:MUNDANE] tag or something like that on all creatures you deem appropriate. You can then selectively target the interaction based on creature class.
I do stuff, I guess

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 12:38:31 pm »

I modded castes into my elves way back in the day, giving elves suitably terrifying castes to make them a potential threat in battle.

Wizard castes, what had terribly destructive interactions to hurl fireballs and necrotizing rays

Enchanter castes, what would put your dwarves to sleep, rack them with pain, or polymorph them temporarily into small woodland creatures, as well as buff up friendly elves.

Ranger castes, what with disgustingly good ranged combat skills and higher than average speed

Druid castes, what would transform into enormous and powerful animals in combat.

I lost it along with a great deal of other half-finished mods during a hard drive sector corruption.  I had a huge civ overhaul that got wiped out.  Oh well.
Pages: 1 [2]