Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Less Iron?  (Read 1133 times)

Zombiearcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Less Iron?
« on: December 26, 2014, 10:56:32 am »

Howdy all,

Anyone else notice there is a lot less iron and gold to be mined? I have adjusted the mineral scarcity settings to 100 to check it out but I sill am only finding the other ores mostly. I usually play in heavily forested temperate settings in a diverse biome world btw.

Added. I am playing the latest version. ;)

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Less Iron?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 11:46:21 am »

You can use the dfhack command "prospect all" before embarking to ensure that you have gold and iron.  You can also acquire gold and iron through faith, five priests praying for hard and soft metal will quickly output all the metal (except orichalcum) that you could want.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 11:51:13 am »

I raised the mineral scarcity a few versions back, but did not change anything on iron occurence.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 04:05:15 pm »

What do you think a good range for mineral scarcity would be? That is, one could turn it up enough to present more of a challenge, but not too much so as to imbalance the mod.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 04:15:26 pm »

In my experience masterwork is pretty much then only time I find iron, gold, or fuel on my embarks and I think I normally end up with all three at once. I normally set mineral scarcity to low (which I've checked and it's actually 500) if using standard world generation or 2,000 on advanced so that could be why, but unless in standard df you're setting your mineral scarcity to 50 or something then there shouldn't be much of a decrease. There is something else that might effect it, but I expect Meph has already taken that into account. In the vanilla game the ores of iron are hematite, limonite, and magnetite. In Masterwork though there's only hematite bearing rock. However I'm guessing Meph made it so hematite occurs in the same places the other iron ores occur so it's not rarer.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia