Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.19 Released  (Read 37628 times)

TimoRan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.19 Released
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2014, 07:37:07 pm »

Spore Breeding was great for those animals that only showed up on the map one at a time. You catch a female Giant Lion and then if a male shows up, you can rejoice because cubs are likely on the way.

Now you have to get lucky and catch the male too.

It'd be nice to be able to bait traps to compensate.
Not sure if the predator/prey thing will trigger for animals like lions (though cave critters seem to do it just fine) when offered your livestock, but you could chain one (or more) of your livestock and put a ring of traps around it. Doubles as ambush bait as well, not to mention megabeast and semi-megabeast bait.

I'm not sure if this still works in the new versions because I haven't updated in a while, but you can also build walls in the shape of a + with a trap as the center piece, and line the walls with traps. The way pathing tends to be, they should walk right through them. Using animals as bait as well is a definitely a good idea for many reasons.

I pretty much find abusing the pathing to be pretty effective for trapping though, and for the lets-climb-down-the-soon-to-be-cascading-lavafall trap with the added building-destroyer isolation pit.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2014, 12:01:36 pm »

R.I.P. spore breeding.

Yeah.  Now we can't pretend anymore that dwarves don't do sex :P

Well, we can, but now reality rears it's bearded head.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2014, 08:30:53 pm »

The spores can only live for a few minutes outside of a dwarven host, so proximity is required.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]