Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.19 Released  (Read 37663 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.19 Released
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 10:57:27 am »

I welcome this change, but would prefer ungelded males to sometimes fight for more !!fun!!.

Whoever said this was tedious needs to learn the difference between animals and mushrooms.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 12:59:45 pm »

Awhhhhh

Alas, poor spores, I knew them.  :(
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 01:12:21 pm »

Awhhhhh

Alas, poor spores, I knew them.  :(

I hope all you lot are sarcastic...spores belong in mushrooms, some plants, and nowhere else. Stare at plump helmets if you still want to see spores.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 01:40:59 pm »

I think everyone will eventually adjust to the new ways of doing things.

For now, there's just confusion and uncertainty.  People have their ways of dealing with animals, and these ways are usually something like "Put them all in one big pasture and forget 'em" (which will probably continue to work just fine), or "Put all the females in a cage, and milk them.  Restrain one or two males somewhere far away.  Rely on spore breeding to impregnate the females during the time they're out of the cage for milking" (which will probably require changes).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 02:40:10 pm »

Animal keeping is now infinitely more tedious

How so?

Much more micromanagement needed. Instead of adjacent pastures, now either I have to do 1 big pasture per species (harder to secure, can't control where the animals go so overcrowding on single spots is harder to manage) or swap animals around frequently (much more player attention needed).

hauling still isn't fixed

Presumably this report?  It's helpful to link the report when requesting a fix.

I didn't link a report because it's not just a single issue. The way hauling is currently structured and handled, using bins results in more inefficiency and lag, not less.  Dorfs with conflicting demands on bins are a part of it, but there's also the 'bring a single item to bins vs bringing bins to a group of items' behavior (frequently seen in plant harvesting) and several other issues.   See http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141588.msg5530552#msg5530552 and http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143732.msg5660285#msg5660285 and http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142374.msg5577059#msg5577059.   It's probably several issues / changes that are needed, and quite possibly a redesign of how items and storage containers intersect with hauling.

Maybe some of those have been fixed, but I haven't seen mentions of anything in the release lists since at least September.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 06:55:30 pm »

Spore Breeding was great for those animals that only showed up on the map one at a time. You catch a female Giant Lion and then if a male shows up, you can rejoice because cubs are likely on the way.

Now you have to get lucky and catch the male too.

It'd be nice to be able to bait traps to compensate.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 07:24:56 pm »

Not sure if the predator/prey thing will trigger for animals like lions (though cave critters seem to do it just fine) when offered your livestock, but you could chain one (or more) of your livestock and put a ring of traps around it. Doubles as ambush bait as well, not to mention megabeast and semi-megabeast bait.

mndfreeze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 09:31:17 pm »

Awesome.  This sounds like a perfect solution to dog and cat overload.  It seems I end up always damn near becoming a dog and cat world supplier with the number kittens and puppies I'm constantly having to  butcher.  Now I don't have to try to worry so much about a pasture of war dogs right outside my front door co0nstantly popping babies, or having to try to get all my war dogs or cats the same sex except for a female or two that I cage. 

Not sure what people could be complaining about in regards to this making it more complicated.  This will make my life easier.  Thanks Toady!

Also thanks for adding the drinks menu!  It just didn't make any sense not having its own spot :D

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 09:44:32 pm »

Ho about we call the gelder a vet and he can also help with animal pregnancies if the future parents are "not feeling the need"?  ;)
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 10:32:45 pm »

Do you think perhaps with the many dozens of seed types we might need to revisit the seed cap in d_init.txt?

[SPECIFIC_SEED_CAP:200]
[FORTRESS_SEED_CAP:3000]

So we get the original underground and above ground seeds with this cap, well now you may get your 200 sand pear seeds, apricot seeds and carrot seeds and so forth crowding out your plump helmet, and pig tails.

I put my [FORTRESS_SEED_CAP:30000] so I can support 150 different plant types.

mostevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 11:27:48 pm »

hauling still isn't fixed
Presumably this report?  It's helpful to link the report when requesting a fix.
And it's friends  Pretty much any of the cancelled jobs issues are probably due to container hauling.  Really slows down those fires of industry.  It's put me off for year and a bit now, I keep checking back just in case.

Akhram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 06:38:49 am »

What a great change there! I'm certainly upgrading to this ASAP.

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 09:44:51 am »

Animal keeping is now infinitely more tedious
How so?
Much more micromanagement needed. Instead of adjacent pastures, now either I have to do 1 big pasture per species (harder to secure, can't control where the animals go so overcrowding on single spots is harder to manage) or swap animals around frequently (much more player attention needed).
If it's working the way I think (haven't run the new version but have done some thinking about this) it may not be too much trouble. It depends on the touching conditions: at what point do the animals need to be adjacent? Is it at a certain point in the year, at any time in the year, at any time in history?

But one can certainly make pastures so that a single male can be adjacent to n females' pastures for arbitrarily large values of n. For example, a single ram can be made to fertilise 38 ewes: put the ram in a 1x16 pasture, and along each long edge arrange sixteen 1x16 ewes' pastures oriented at right angles to the ram's. Some creative pasturing should admit 3 ewes' pastures next to each short end as well for a total of 38 ewes adjacent to a single ram. And one can always lengthen the ram's pasture if 38 ewes is too few!
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 09:59:32 am »

I'm pretty sure that mating seasons don't exist in DF yet, so, it can be anytime in the year.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 11:35:27 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Many hauling fixes are coming with the job overhaul, as stated in DFTalk22.  Changing stuff before the overhaul may waste a bunch of time.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4