Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tag to add back in breeding-via-spores  (Read 3366 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tag to add back in breeding-via-spores
« on: November 26, 2014, 07:37:18 pm »

The 0.40.19 release got rid of mating at a distance, a.k.a. "spores".  Since some people like this, maybe there could be a raws tag saying how close animals have to be to breed.  You could then set it to something like one million to get back the old behavior.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Tag to add back in breeding-via-spores
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:49:58 pm »

I agree. Things like plump helmet men should still be spore creatures.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 01:38:48 am »

Spore based breeding is like a quantum stockpile... completely unrealistic behavior that needs to go.  You might as well ask for booze and food to teleport directly to dwarves. 

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 01:48:06 am »

He's not asking for it 100% back. Just it back as a tag, implemented where things make sense. Such as plump helmet men, and frogs and such that never directly mate.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 02:52:06 am »

It sounds more like he wanted all animals to retain their old behavior... aka lock a male cat securely behind a door and let loose several females in the caverns as a self-replicating expedition force. 

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 04:03:23 am »

It sounds more like he wanted all animals to retain their old behavior... aka lock a male cat securely behind a door and let loose several females in the caverns as a self-replicating expedition force.
No he explicitly said "raws tag"  for breeding distance in the OP...
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 02:50:34 pm »

This makes sense, especially considering that most fish breed by spawning (the eggs being fertilized outside the womb in a cloud of sperm from various surrounding males). That's a significant portion of the creatures currently in the game that are now modeled incorrectly when they previously were.

To save effort, if not otherwise specified mating distance could default to 0 tiles.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 03:41:01 pm »

I would prefer a system where these creatures could reproduce only within a certain range and in the same room. Other than that, this seems like a good idea.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 06:41:27 pm »

WTF!? He didn't say that at all.

I can understand not reading the actual topic post, but it's clear that you didn't even read the title of this thread.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 07:30:57 pm »

Since some people like this[b/], maybe there could be a raws tag saying how close animals have to be to breed.  You could then set it to something like one million to get back the old behavior.

The OP never specified he wanted this behavior only for select animals like Plumphelmet men, frogs, fish, etc.  In the absence of such qualifying words, I assumed that he wanted this to be added to ALL creatures.  Furthermore, he used the example "set to one million" which wouldn't even make sense for actual spore-reproducing animals.  The parts I bolded make me think he just wants to revert everything (or at least only the animals he wants to work with) back to their pre patch behaviors.  Yes I read the title, YES I read his post.  Again, he never once mentioned specific animals it would make sense for, and instead just wants all animals to revert to previous spore-based behavior.  Sorry if I misunderstood.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 08:02:11 pm »

We need more diversified breeding/growth systems, so +1 for sure.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 09:30:26 pm »

Since some people like this[b/], maybe there could be a raws tag saying how close animals have to be to breed.  You could then set it to something like one million to get back the old behavior.
Furthermore, he used the example "set to one million" which wouldn't even make sense for actual spore-reproducing animals.  The parts I bolded make me think he just wants to revert everything (or at least only the animals he wants to work with) back to their pre patch behaviors.  Yes I read the title, YES I read his post.  Again, he never once mentioned specific animals it would make sense for, and instead just wants all animals to revert to previous spore-based behavior.  Sorry if I misunderstood.

It'd make more sense (and be less work) if the options for breeding-by-proximity were only YES or NO. Yes would mean the current system, NO would mean the creature fell under the old system. This makes it less trouble to implement (since there's less requirements for checks to see if a creature is at the correct distance since they'd have to flood surrounding tiles as a pathing check if there was any distance between no-distance-required or overlapping).

He never suggested that all animals should have this reimplemented, so I don't get why you have the idea that he wants that. He just said that there should be a tag to allow the old system to be applied to animals in the raws. He never specifies it which creatures this should apply to, but he never suggests its applied, only that its a tag.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 09:45:04 pm »

Furthermore, he used the example "set to one million" which wouldn't even make sense for actual spore-reproducing animals.
? What no not this either. They can reproduce up to 1 million tiles away. I.e. the entire map. makes perfect sense. Just an easy throwaway value to type in to make sure it's always larger without bothering to do the math for each map size you want to use, etc., which would be a waste of time.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 11:44:38 am »

Nobody is asking for this feature because people want spore breeding just like real life. People want it because that's how we got used to handle breeding. It was more of an exploit than anything else. It just makes no sense whatsoever. I'm not gonna tell anybody how to play the game, but it's just how it sounds like to me. We should try to adapt.

I'm all for a realistic addition of other types of breeding though.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:46:43 am by Leatra »

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 12:13:59 pm »

Nobody is asking for this feature because people want spore breeding just like real life. People want it because that's how we got used to handle breeding. It was more of an exploit than anything else. It just makes no sense whatsoever. I'm not gonna tell anybody how to play the game, but it's just how it sounds like to me. We should try to adapt.

I'm all for a realistic addition of other types of breeding though.

I thought it was annoying, to be honest. The new system avoids catsplosion and fps death, and I am very grateful to Toady for fixing it.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.
Pages: [1] 2 3