Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alchemical divine metallurgy  (Read 1283 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Alchemical divine metallurgy
« on: November 28, 2014, 07:01:57 pm »

So, you've probably ran into a vault or two, and been cut down rather fast. You probably learned that this is because of the divine metal weapons. The alchemist skill still exists in game, so why don't we have a shop set up for making single bars of divine metal, amongst other things?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So who's up for seeing the alchemist back, and actually doing something good for the fort?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemical divine metallurgy
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 01:11:58 am »

I am 4maskwolf and I approve this message.

(lol politics).

But seriously, I like this idea.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 04:08:18 am »

I, personally, would be against this idea. I also am working on bringing the Alchemist back into the game--with emphasis on the chemist part of the name. When they're not producing useful items like incendiary bolts and vials of ether, Alchemists should spend the majority of their time conducting experiments and discovering things like new dyes, poisons, and other substances (like extracting mercury from cinnabar).

I would hold off on dwarves doing anything magical until Toady at least begins setting up the Magic arc. In my design, I'm keeping Alchemy completely realistic--partly because dwarves are tech-savvy enough to know the difference between actual magic, and just puttering about in a laboratory.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 06:29:31 am »

There was a suggestion to have moody dwarves sometime smelt few bars of divine metal. It seems like a better idea.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 02:32:54 pm »

There was a suggestion to have moody dwarves sometime smelt few bars of divine metal. It seems like a better idea.

Ha! Then Furnace operator wouldn't be scud labor anymore! You'd groom your fortress to have "Furnace operator" as the highest moodable skill.  Oh no! Urist's weaponsmithing has exceeded his smelting.  QUICK TO THE FURNACE! What? Those swords he was making? Just get that new cheesmonger to crap out a few more! Those bars of fire metal don't smelt themselves!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 06:28:35 pm »

I think that divine metals are part of this magic stuff and all, so it doesn't suits dwarves well.
I think divine metals shouldn't be acquirable at all, or at least not by convenient / controllable means. Dwarves seem to be more steampunk, magic is for elves.
Maybe when taverns and armies get implement we can get it from adventurers, heartpersons or send raid parties to vaults.
In a time before time, I had a name.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 06:39:46 pm »

If magic isn't for dwarves, then why do we have Adamantine? It's more magical than most things.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 07:25:37 pm »

Divine metals not being created by dwarves is Working As Intended. There's really no reason for them to be able to synthesize divine metals other than to let the player play around with even more OP soldiers - an making it easy to get divine metal really cheapens the idea of divine metal in the first place. 
Like I recognize that there's a gap between Steel and Adamantine that could be filled, but no enemy will ever attack in fort mode that brings better than iron gear atm. And adamantine is easily available.

So yeah, oppose. That and Toady likely won't be open to it anyway.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 10:03:40 pm »

If magic isn't for dwarves, then why do we have Adamantine? It's more magical than most things.

Well, Adamantine has difficulties in being acquired, is just a mineral, and is limited.
Divine metals seem to be special, and making it a renewable resource makes it cheaper than raising livestock.
In a time before time, I had a name.