Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interest Check: Masters of the World  (Read 1144 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Interest Check: Masters of the World
« on: November 26, 2014, 09:20:24 pm »

A bit of a broad idea, but here we go:

I start world generation at year one, and then play a fortress until said fortress is able to sustain itself. I then pass on the save to the next person and they do the same, but for a different dwarven civilization.

It continues like that until there's a dwarven fort for every dwarven civ.

Upon then, adventurers are called upon to sack the forts of rival dwarven civs and take their artifacts.

After the world reaches year 125 (What I'd like to think was the average stopping point in 34.11) the fortress/civ with the most artifacts created gets crowned the most productive, and the fortress/civ with the most artifacts stolen gets crowned the fiercest. The fortress that has defended against the most adventurers is considered the most dwarfy.

Would anyone care to contribute to this idea?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Interest Check: Masters of the World
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 04:38:51 pm »

Kind of reminds me of ptb's Shadow Empires. Except that in his game, the sole purpose of the fort is to prepare for the adventurer, or the clan's champion if you will. The fort had 1.5 years to prepare and the adventurer had one month. However this is different in the fact that it revolves around theft instead of conquest.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Onod Itlud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 04:45:19 pm »

It sounds like an interesting idea, however, I don't think I'm the only one who thinks that it needs just a little bit more fleshing.

Specifically:

Define Sustain. You can have a fort that has nothing but a couple of farm plots and a brewery go on for quite some time if you get lucky (I get that it's far from where you're going for, this is just a example as to how vague it is), where as it could also mean a fortress that will survive the inevitable !FUN! that DF has to offer for years to come, has contingencies for everything that could happen, and back ups for if those fail.

Would there be a time limit to turns? Stagnancy is what more often than not seems to kill the threads here, not usually poor ideas.

What size of world would it use?

Granted, I don't think turn limits should be too short if you have them, but they also shouldn't be too long. An idea would be to base them off of the difficulty of the embark area. An Terrifying Tundra in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a pick to stave off the cold could net you a bit extra time, and provide an interesting adventure site if you get it running (and some interesting ruins if it comes to a !FUN! end).

The world size factor is a more recent thing for most people, what with interesting fps issues going on with the world that goes on around you.

Just my two cents. Like the idea just so you know, just think that some more information would be helpful in order to gauge interest more accurately. Basic rules etc.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 05:13:46 pm »

If I play this, which I might, I might as well let you know my strategy already.

Island power.
A FORT ON AN ISLAND WITH UNSCALABLE WALLS WITH MAGMA ON THE OTHER SIDE WITH NO WAY IN, AND LARGE FARM PLOTS TO SUSTAIN (I ACCIDENTALLY TYPED SUSPAIN) THE FORT FOR MILLENNIA UNTIL ARMOK RETURNS TO THE EARTH AND DECLARES THE SITE SUPERDWARVEN, THEN ENDS THE WORLD! MUWEHEHEHEHEHE!

*cough*
Or a fort in the caverns.
Or a fort with multiple aboveground storage constructs, that, when the adventurer gets there, have no access port and are supported by a single wooden support beam.
Or a fort where, upon access to the map, the adventurer discovers that the area has malevolent architecture.
Or a fort where everyone lives in a cube above the ground supported with one wooden support.

What I'm saying is, the title of "most dwarfy" will be quite hard to obtain, especially if everyone builds malevolent deathforts where everyone is cross-trained in marksdwarf and hammerdwarf and is in an appropriate squad with solid iron masterwork bolts.
As I watch this, I hope to see creativity.
You can use my ideas, however. Just tweak them slightly to make yourself seem creative.

...and I'm babbling again.
I do that a lot.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 06:47:10 pm »

So how about sending out an award in year 125 for:
"Most artifacts successfully created" (checking the artifact screen would easily determine this one.)
"Most enemies slain" (History mode works for this one too)
"Most artifacts stolen from opponents" (History mode would prove this number easily)
"Most valuable fortress" (the total wealth of the fortresses by year 125 is easily checked during an empty embark with an appraiser.)
and
"Most popular megastructure" (general poll in the forum for the length of the game)

Fortresses would have the ability to be awarded more than one accolade.

Game turns might last every five years with the proviso that each year has to be zipped and saved when spring rolls around again and posted to the forum along with posts about what is happening to the fortress.  If someone decides to drop off the face of the world for awhile, the last year's save file could easily be uploaded by the next player in line.  This allows both new Players to be added to the turn list and old Players to drop off of it or repeat.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 08:23:04 pm »

Another idea I just had is to force adventurers to attack opposing dwarves mercilessly, perhaps even causing the falling of the fortress.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.