Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Ice Mage Civil War (Story) (Adventure Mode)  (Read 4553 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
The Ice Mage Civil War (Story) (Adventure Mode)
« on: November 26, 2014, 09:40:12 pm »

Ok guys, This insane thing just happened whilst me and a friend were playing Adventure mode, on a specially designed world (an island surrounded by a a giant evil aligned ocean, with a good aligned valley in the middle surrounded by mountain peaks. Also 4 schools of magic, modded in. (The School of Fire Magic, School of Ice Magic, School of dark summoning, and school of light summoning).

This strange piece of paper was found in the wreckage of an abandoned ice mage tower during an expedition by members of "The Council Of Dress" looking for two missing hearthpeople. In the Year 292.

-The Ice Mage Civil War-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This may be My last Log Entry, to all who are reading... this is what happened that faithful day.

The 21st of Hematite,  year 292.

Whilst on the journey from a nearby hamlet, to the apparently evil tower Frillyown, (of an unknown Magical school) On a quest from my Lord Busla Boycharmed, to investigate and rid the world of dark magic , I, Teshil Kespilda, Human ice Mage apprentice, And My Guide, Luto DippedScolded, a pikemen and skilled tracker (from his majesties keep, Located in the  capital of  The Brilliant Unions, under the authority of the local government, The Council of Dress.)

My guide and I stumbled upon a horrifying sight,

You see, there were in fact Two Different Towers in the region, A known Friendly Ice mage tower (from which I learned my skills) And the Unknown "evil" tower, the one I was on a mission to investigate and , if possible, destroy.

Whilst passing by the Ice Mage tower, we heard shouts, and saw that stormcoluds were rolling in over the tower. I , feeling a need to defend my fellow mages, rushed to the tower from which the shouts were coming. My guide protested, mentioning that it was taking far too long to get to where we needed to go already and that we were on a mission from the lord himself.  I ignored my guide. (..I realize now, I shouldnt have..)

Puffs of ice and snow and mist were blowing out of the entrance of the tower in great bellowing clouds, but by the time I got there, A Mage had ran out of the tower (one whom i did not know), I greeted him, and he looked panicked. I asked him who he was, and he didnt tell me. He was However Clearly a Peasant, and Clearly a Mage.

But as  I greeted him, several Ice Wolves (An elemental creature that ice mages are fond of) rushed out of the tower and attacked me, ignoring the other mage, who was curiously, not firing any spells anymore, but just standing, and letting his wolves do the dirty work for him whilst summoning several more from the tower itself...I, knowing how this magic worked, knew he was summoning them from some (or several) (previously) living things' life force... I killed a wolf, and My Guide finally ran in to help me, darting me a very angry look as he charged in with his pike, the wolves b-lined toward him, granting me access to the tower. , I immediately rushed into the tower, (Ignoring the clearly evil mage) To a gruesome sight.

6 dead ice mages, most of which I knew, were laying in the tower, blood everywhere. There left over life force being slowly drained by the Evil Peasant Ice Mages summoning spells.There deaths, clearly quick, and there bodies..drying up fast, (there left over life force being drained by magic). I ran upstairs, and found my former master standing there, blood everywhere. I greeted Him, and he yelled at me, "I have a part in this, don't feel vengeful", as several ice wolves started running upstairs after me, presumably having made quick work of my guide (May he rest in peace). My master began firing spells at the wolves , ice spikes flying every which way, and immense waves of water, and steam. skewering and throwing the wolves into the walls and down the stairs,  turned into pulped piles of organs and ice. The wolves, I knew at this point, that they were definitely that evil peasant mages wolves, and not my masters wolves.

However, My master and I were quickly overwhelmed, I did my best to help him, as inexperienced as I was, firing Blizzard and Ice spikes at the wolves myself as they flooded in from the stairwell..... Staring in awe at my master, Rithod Sasem, his cloak flowing in the cold wind, his white beard also flowing in the wind, and his hands making very quick movements, firing ice spikes in quick succession. And blowing what could be mistaken for snowstorms and tornadoes of powerful mist,  by untrained eyes, at the wolves. Clearly he is too old for this excitement. But He fights on.

And this is where we are at now, I decided to run to the other  side of the tower whilst my master does his best to keep the summoned elemental wolves off our backs, I try to help, but my master is clearly much more powerful then I, and I am getting very.. very tired....

I am way in over my head.... I should have listened to my guide... And have decided to stop fighting for now, to record what happened here in hopes that someone, at some point finds this log.

I hear a scream as my master is bitten by the wolves.. hes still fighting though.. but he is bleeding out all over the tower..and he is becoming slower and slower with his spells. He will be dead soon... and I.. I am quickly becoming exhausted... this isn't natural.. what k...in..d of magi...c is this.......

(There is a large blotch of ink here , as if the bottle of ink was suddenly knocked over but.. a word can be made out  right under the blotch.. "Darkness")

Outside tower, after my "master" and I were slaughtered (yes, that evil peasant is now blinking since he seized control)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 04:26:03 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: The Forgotten Log (Story) (Aventure Mode)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 01:41:05 pm »

No one even gave me feedback. I was told the story was great by non-forum people....
I am an indie game dev!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Log (Story) (Aventure Mode)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 02:58:50 pm »

No one even gave me feedback. I was told the story was great by non-forum people....

Don't feel bad m8. Most of the users of this subforum are in school ATM.

Blead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ice Mage Civil War (Story) (Adventure Mode)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 04:03:04 pm »

Bravo, good story lad.  :)

I've always wanted more magic in Dwarf Fortress. The tragedies and epics that can be told by magic vs monsters/mages are great to read.
NOT a friendly dwarf.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 06:12:01 pm »

Bravo, good story lad.  :)

I've always wanted more magic in Dwarf Fortress. The tragedies and epics that can be told by magic vs monsters/mages are great to read.

Thank you! And I agree. I cant wait until magic (besides necromancers)  will exist in vanilla dwarf fortress.
I am an indie game dev!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 06:52:00 pm »

Are the towers made by slab secret holders?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:09:04 pm »

Yeah. RAW-wise necromancy is an interaction that's labeled SECRET. Other interactions can share this label, which results in them doing necromancer-y things like having apprentices, taking over towns, forming entities and building towers. I believe masterwork and other mods take advantage of this to create other schools of magic, though this is the first I've heard of playing as one. Did you somehow manage to start as a member of a SECRET generated entity?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 11:06:10 am »

Yeah. RAW-wise necromancy is an interaction that's labeled SECRET. Other interactions can share this label, which results in them doing necromancer-y things like having apprentices, taking over towns, forming entities and building towers. I believe masterwork and other mods take advantage of this to create other schools of magic, though this is the first I've heard of playing as one. Did you somehow manage to start as a member of a SECRET generated entity?

If you do enough good things for any group (be it bandits, lords etc) you get the option to join the group. With lords you become a hearthperson, with bandits you can become a lieutenant. With secret entities, everyone will become friendly to you. (I did this, and became an ice mage as a result since after allying with them nothing of theirs would attack me) me being an "apprentice" was to make the story more  interesting(iI wasnt atcually a apprentice Rank). But the entire tower was allied with me. (until this "civil war" thing.) And RIthod Sasem was the head Mage.  I presume that if I had taken the time to chat him up after helping to defend the tower (we both died however, and the evil peasant actually seized control and became the master of the tower after his death), i probably could have become an apprentice as-well. This is because of how the entity ranks work with in general. with secret entities you get : Ringleader (or whatever the original person choose for their rank name, "Master" is possible, ) ---> then a normally ranked person---> apprentice. ---> Minion (I just call them minion their is no official name for their summoned creatures, but they are a member of the entity)

The event itself was clearly a loyalty cascade.

Hope that helped explain things a bit.

You can join any group by talking to the highest ranked person after doing enough quests for them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:13:00 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 08:01:20 pm »

You could also break into a tower and read a book containing the secret.That gives you the power too. I just got friendly with the tower before doing that. Make sit much easier.
I am an indie game dev!

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 02:16:54 pm »

I want those raws.

EDIT-actually, just make this a secession game. think about it. would be epic.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!