Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Unusual Habits While Gaming  (Read 13809 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Habits While Gaming
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 11:07:51 am »

hmm im kneeling on my chair while playing ( due to an old injury which makes sitting awkward for long times) and start to loudly emulate sounds, explosions and screams if the game does not provide them in sufficient volume, and of course loudly screaming "Charge" or giving orders...while giving orders. Often was asked with whom am i speaking and whether im playing a voice-activated game...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 11:19:42 am »

I sometimes play videogames with my arms crossed.
When I went over to a freind's house to play Super Smash Brothers: Brawl he didn't have an extra classic controller so I used the Wiimote and nunchuck, and I would lean back with my arms crossed and hanging a bit at the sides with one in each hand. Probably the only console that you can play like that, actually.

One other 'arms crossed' game I can think of was Infantry Online, where there's little mouse movement involved and the alphabetical keys are mostly for chatting. I would have my left hand on the arrow keys for movement and my right hand crossed (I forget if over or under) on the left shift/control/tab keys to shoot my weapons.

When I'm playing a more casual game or turn based game I will sometimes sit at a diagonal to my desk and lean back in my chair with my feet up on my desk, and have my left arm tucked under my knees to reach the keyboard. I also have a tendency to have one of my legs crossed under the other recently in a more normal sitting position, which I haven't noticed myself doing much before a few months ago. I have to get myself to stop doing that because it puts a lot of pressure on my foot.

In FPS games I have a tendency to spam WSAD (movement) even when things are relatively calm, making my character dance all over the place. This is primarily because I hate being sniped, and I'm always afraid that some jerk is sitting on a hill 500 meters away trying to kill me.
... I almost always mute the game. No sounds, no music.
In almost every FPS game I play I have music disabled, especially if there are voice comms or things that give enemy positions away such as footsteps. Left 4 Dead was an exception, because for the most part the music gave away what was going on before the thing even happened.
(Flight sims, docking, landing planes, etc.)
I have a tendency to manually pilot things even when auto pilot is available. I also prefer first person driving and flying in games like ARMA even if third person view is available, yet in racing games I like third person view because I don't have a TrackIR.

When I played cRPG mod for Mount & Blade: Warband I would hold my breath without realizing it during fights, and when I won/lost I would gasp or sigh when I suddenly realize that I have to breathe, hehe. I don't know if I do that for other games, but if I do it's not nearly as noticeable since in Warband a fight can last a minute or more depending on what's going on (or it could be over in one swing).

When I haven't played an action game in a long while I will be really jittery to the point where I accidentally move the mouse halfway across the pad suddenly, which screws up my aim (or gets me killed in Warband). I have to get comfortable with the game again before I can relax and play normally. Even then I'm more tense than I should be and it often causes me to make jerky movements with the mouse.

Oh, and one more thing. Rarely will I ever use the default controls for games, I always have to change them. Some people are fine with default controls, but I can't remember the last game I used spacebar for jumping, for example.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 11:56:35 am »

Worst habits: Whenever i have to wait more than 5-10 seconds i mecanicaly light up a cigaret.... Beside that in action pack sequence i tend to get all my muscle ultra stiff(tense), I speak to my game or myself or items in the game well you get the move.

I also tend to eat my inner cheek without rea,ising it untill well... i realise it and stop only to do it again a few minute later.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 12:09:00 pm »

I tend to like to nibble on things well I game~
This sooooo much... If it ain't food, its fingernails, toothpicks, random bits of plastic I have on my desk. It just subconsciously reaches my mouth somehow...
I suppose I do this too, though the habit isn't limited to gaming.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 12:15:09 pm »

I mutter a lot sometimes.  I'll also curse at the protagonist.

Goddamn it Ezio!  Quit jumping off buildings!   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 12:17:03 pm »

I mutter a lot sometimes.  I'll also curse at the protagonist.

Goddamn it Ezio!  Quit jumping off buildings!   :P
I think we all suffer that affliction.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 02:13:14 pm »

I'm guilty of jumping as well. It was much more fun in Max Payne 2.

BARREL ROLL!

I had to limit my jumping in Morrowind though, because of fatigue and careful leveling.

I also used to pick the skin off my lips if I'm using one hand. It bled from time to time but it's much less severe now. It's not that extreme you'd find in the pics if you google that obsession. Now I just play with my beard or mustache.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 02:16:52 pm by Leatra »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 02:27:14 pm »

I'll sometimes cast FPS matches in my head if it's a really derpy pub, and people elsewhere in the house sometimes comment on my random bursts of laughter.

Me1: "And here we've got xXdenverbroncos1995Xx, pushing cap on mid disguised as a scout, you know they're losing last, but we've seen some pretty interesting strats coming out tonight, haven't we?"
Me2: "Sure thing Chet, Red's really been pulling out all the stops. And don't let the Gibus fool you, Bronco's one helluva- oh he's, he's stuck in the terrain! You know crouch jumps in Source, they can be fickle as all-"
Me1: "AND HE'S DOWN. SUPERB strafing by that pyro, or rather, he sure knew when to stop moving and just hold that button down on poor Bronco. How he knew to come back here when their forward spawn is in the other direction, I don't know, the insight."

I also jump around, usually trying to stand on other players, or find places where the geometry allows you to stand where you really shouldn't be able to.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 03:29:49 pm »

another jumper here.  If I'm not sneaking up to someone I'm jumping around.

Also in squad/turned based games like Shadowrun Returns or XComm, if a battle is going in a direction I don't like or I suffer something like a few unlucky crits I'll just restart the mission/level instead of playing through.  Like I could still be winning but if that random recruit I was planning on training up dies(not to mention my favorite little goon), restart.  I fail that trip through the matrix and end up alerting the guards, restart.

Honestly I think I have OCD but only with videogames.  I'll spend hours getting a face just right in like Skyrim/Oblivion.  I'll spend days fretting over a build in a game like Shadowrun or Torchlight or Dragon Age.  If I need materials to craft something in an MMO, I'll go out of my way to farm everything instead of just buying it off the AH, even if it'll save me the frustration

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 03:51:15 pm »

Speaking of music, I tend to very frequently just turn it off in games. Not to replace it with anything either, just turning it off to no music at all.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 03:52:01 pm »

Unless it's really engrossing, I often put on podcasts or videos in the background.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 03:57:12 pm »

I swear a lot while playing Hearthstone, but I strongly suspect that's just Hearthstone.

Otherwise, I always have a piece of paper on hand for notes/drawings if something comes to me, even if I'm not playing a puzzle-esque game.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 05:42:40 pm »

If there's dialogue in a game I will actually reply to the people speaking (usually to make some kind of sarcastic remark).

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 06:28:06 pm »

I swear a lot while playing Hearthstone, but I strongly suspect that's just Hearthstone.

Same here. I talk a lot to myself when I play that game:

"Is he going to play that card or is he just gonna hover it there forever!?"

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 06:35:14 pm »

In competitive games, whenever a player (friendly or not) does something impressive I just stop and privately clap in respect.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9