Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Breedblades, a Legendary Gelder Fortress- Seeking Overseers  (Read 17821 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Breedblades, a Legendary Gelder Fortress- Seeking Overseers
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2014, 09:47:26 am »

4maskwolf, is progress being made? (I'm fairly lenient about it this time of year- lord knows I, at least, have too many essays to finish to play a full year of dorfs in one go.)
Working on it.  Will do more tonight, in all likelihood.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2014, 01:48:05 pm »

4maskwolf, is progress being made? (I'm fairly lenient about it this time of year- lord knows I, at least, have too many essays to finish to play a full year of dorfs in one go.)
Working on it.  Will do more tonight, in all likelihood.

Coolio. Don't abandon it, but don't sacrifice more pressing life priorities for it. Virtual rabbit genitals can wait.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2014, 02:27:14 pm »

Eh, I was just lazy over thanksgiving weekend.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2014, 09:02:56 am »

Urk.

I am forced to drop out, I've got scholarship stuff and other things hanging over my head.  Unless you want to wait till the weekend, I'd suggest moving to the next person.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2014, 02:01:24 pm »

That would be me, I guess.
It's been quite. While since I last played. Lemme see what I can do.
Do you have the save file 4maskwolf? Or should I start from the previous?
Start from previous, I didn't get that far anyway.  Just dig down, you'll find caverns.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2014, 06:36:43 pm »

That would be me, I guess.
It's been quite. While since I last played. Lemme see what I can do.
Do you have the save file 4maskwolf? Or should I start from the previous?
Start from previous, I didn't get that far anyway.  Just dig down, you'll find caverns.

Do you want me to give you a turn at the end of the current line? I can do that.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2014, 08:42:15 am »

Sure, FearfulJesuit.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2014, 09:20:27 am »

Nevermind, can't play.
Unforeseen consequences happened.
Hmmm...
two skips in a row, darn.

Well, I guess I'm going to DL the save now, then, and work on it tonight.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2014, 05:42:35 pm »

And Im after you... Ah hell, Im gonna have to upload images...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2014, 07:57:49 pm »

OK, have save, am home, ready to play. Hold onto your hats!
...just after this cutscene in another game. Darn, my plate is too full of games and books. I really need to prioritize. OK, DF takes priority now.
The Cyan Menace

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2014, 07:58:18 pm »

ptw
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2014, 10:57:28 pm »

1st of Granite
Fearful Jesuit had stepped down as overseer; I'm not surprised, the first year of a fortress is always it's roughest, as long as the second goes smoothly. She anounced that 4maskwolf would be taking over... but when asked about it, 4maskwolf declined being informed, and rejected the position.

A fortress wide search was put out for a new overseer, and when nobody was forthcoming, somebody suggested Caroline... only no Caroline could be found within the fort. It was at that point that the call for 'whomever could brew the strongest beer' was put out... to which I answered. Well. I guess they tricked me, because I accidently signed up as overseer.

So first I put together a census of the heaviest drinkers in the fort, just to get back at them.

Spoiler: Dorfings by FJ (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: New Dorfings (click to show/hide)

That done, I had a drink and prayed to Zon. Sooooo glad I worship the god of fortresses to give me guidance. He didn't respond right away, of course.

2nd of Granite
I stepped into the kitchen to do my regular duty of preparing the fortress's meals. The smell of fish was overpowering, and I was struck by inspiration, but I could not find one fish to cook. It seems the fisherdwarves haven't been properly proccessing the fish, and I immediately designated a fishery for them to prepare fish and ready it for cooking.

I briefly recalled a dream I had in the night, about textiles. I don't know anything about textiles, but Zon desires we create a massive textile industry. Well, I think that was Zon speaking. 4maskwolf let me know that he would get on with preparing an area to grow some pig tails.

Fearful Jesuit reminded me that I need to remember the Chosen One and our divine Mission. Yeah, buddy, that's your divine Mission. Mine is to have a good drink and wear some masterwork clothes. I'll keep him in mind, though.

12th of Granite
I am informed by the farmers that Pig Tails can only be farmed in the summer and fall. Bah, I guess I couldn't have known that, you can't use pig tails in food unless they're brewed, and the mountainhomes prevented me from ever seeing anything other than plump helmets and wheat. Whatever.

NAV informs me that he requires a mace. Uhuh. with what wood would you like that made, NAV? We don't have a scrap of metal ready for turning into a mace, nor do we even have a forge running! Fuel is kind of scarce, don't you know, discounting elven wood.

Er... wood. Yeah, that gives me an idea. Fearful left plans for a third building above ground, some kind of tomb, but didn't specify how to make it; I could honor the dwarves who lost their lives by burying them underground, or I could build the wooden tomb and tell the elves we're taking over the surface, too. Heheheh.

No, that wouldn't be right. I'll find some use for this wood later, maybe make some sort of palisade. But I cannot dishonor a dwarf quite like that.

I resolve to have a running forge by the end of the year. At least a wood-burning one if I can't find coal or something.

13th of Granite
Thoughts of Demons are Like to Bring Them, once wrote a scholar of Zon. The elves came today. A whole caravan of them. They must not be of such numbers as the legends claim, as the caravan actually only consisted of two elves and two animals. Fearful and the haulers immediately run to stock the depot with our most valueble goods, of sorts. Lots of my own hard work.

His share of the hauling done, Fearful has a drink.

17th of Granite

I guess for the purposes of trading with dumb elves, anyone will do.

18th of Granite
Bombrek tells me he's done taking the elve's goods. I ask him what we gave them in return. He says nothing, they're elves. I ask how much of their goods did we take? He says all of them.

Wonderful, I insulted the tree huggers, but my underlings actually offend them.

I ask him for any other news. Yeah, he says some strange dwarves were sighted. I asked him if they looked like migrants. He says yeah, that must be what they were.

Spoiler: Migrants (click to show/hide)
Our population just doubled. Over doubled. Fearful did the math for me, we went from 24 to 51 beards. I say nice. He grunts at me.

2nd of Slate
To find work for all the new hands, I had some extra space to put more workshops dug out. Today, they start opperation, and blocks are being created even faster. I'm putting up a defensive perimeter wall to keep out any elves that we may have offended by robbing them blind.

The number of bunnies in the fortress continue to increase, as apparently the males were gelded too late to stop anything; this means that we will have more work for Fearful's Chosen One, as he likes to call the resident gelder.

There are also more kittens as of today. I decide to dig out space for a butcher's shop, because I desperately want to cook with red meat.

Alright, so I've gotten through the first month tonight. Neither NAV or Sheb specified anything about their dorfs, so I picked pretty much at random.
The Cyan Menace

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2014, 03:10:08 pm »

Two more months done, onto the next season.

6th of Slate

I guess he's happy about another recent wave of snipping; not everything was gelded mind you, but a bunch of young bunnies were cut.

Fourmaskwolf decides to join him in partying, and declares it a holiday. Dues Asmoth is derping about hauling rocks, which I snap at him to stop doing, so he can get back to digging out workspaces for our carpenters.

17th of Slate
The chalk framework for a protective wall is up. I'm ordering the gaps be filled up with fortifications, and more walls above to prevent intruders from simply climbing in.

In order to allow access for migrants and traders, I had some bridges built. I put the lever to control them where an invader would never look: In the middle of my Textiles room.

28th of Slate
Adil PagedGray was born to Eshtan Lensbridges today. The new mouth to feed means that I need to step up food production soon, somehow.

14th of Felsite
Today I took a walk to personally see the progress of the fortress walls. The southeast corner is the closest to completion, and I had some sketches made of the wall.

I'm honestly not sure how dogs blood got onto that top step.

19th of Felsite
Zon asked me in a dream how my textiles industry faired. I told him it faired well, and that we had two looms and two clothier shops working full time to use the pig tails grown last growing season.

I told him that not one dwarf would go without clothes as long as I was overseer, there would be no excuse for nudity. He chuckled, and told me to "Keep up the good work". I'm so happy.

22nd of Felsite
One of the other cooks got this strange light in his eyes, and he scrambled away from the kitchen like a madman.

23rd of Felsite
The cook has claimed a crafting workshop. He certainly doesn't seem himself, he keeps pushing us out of his way. He also keeps talking about thread.

1st of Hematite
It is now summer, and that means the pig tails can start planting! I also had an aboveground plot designated for rope-reeds.

However, the cloth we have availible has been rejected by the cook with the glowing eyes. It seems I need something else to please him, like some sort of wool or silk.

The Cyan Menace

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2014, 07:59:50 pm »

6th of Hematite
A sample of woolen cloth was shown to our strange cook. He refused it.

4maskwolf told me that if I could find the caverns, some silk could be procured. He also said his miner's sense tells him they are close...

I ordered a shaft dug to find the caverns.

15th of Hematite
The humans have arived with their wagons. I'm ordering as much food catered to them as we can afford.

They are part of the Confederations of Magic, and keep mumbling strange arcane words under their breath.

Fearful Jesuit decides this is a good time to go on break.

17th of Hematite
Fearful Jesuit, still on his break, drags out a podium, and standing behind it, declares the need for an expedition leader to be over, and that he is declaring himself mayor. I thought he was tired of leadership?

Meanwhile, the Chosen One informs me that he just finished trading with the humans, and has enough experience doing so that he can be considered a Trader. I put down my mincing-knife and set my face on my mincing-board, trying to think of why the Gelder would be trading.

Asking him what we bought, he informs me that our gains include several animals, many bins of leather, woolen cloth, and plant cloth, some weaponry, and more ingredients than even I know what to do with, as well as some seeds and an anvil.

I ask him, didn't we already have an anvil? He says yes, two, but you can always use another anvil. I grunt in agreement.

I wonder what I can make with Orca Heart, such a rare ingredient must be valueble.

28th of Hematite
He did it! FourmaskWolf reports that today his pick pierced open air underground, locating the caverns. I'll have to give him a fancy bedroom later to thank him for it.

We now know where the caverns are located, and he presented us with a map of what he could see when he broke them open. We're sealing up the first entrance and digging a more strategic opening elsewhere, for safety's sake.

8th of Malachite
A voice is heard to the south. "We have made it!", the voice says.

I look over the growing wall, and there are migrants there!

Spoiler: Migrants (click to show/hide)

10th of Malachite
I'm told the cook in the workshop went insane, the glow left his eyes, and he keeps yelling at the top of his lungs about pink zebras. Poor guy, but fourmaskwolf didn't see any webs in the caverns to make silk from anyways.

19th of Malachite
Degel Roadvises has given birth to Kol Barbhall. I can't imagine the birth went that smoothly, if Degel gave her child such a name.

The Cyan Menace

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2014, 11:49:43 am »

I'm mayor now? Also, I sound like kind of a dick. Have I taken a lover or have any family in the fortress?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10