Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: metals and (explosive) minerals  (Read 4949 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: metals and (explosive) minerals
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 10:09:39 am »

I'd really, really rather not see guns in DF. Simple explosives, yeah, I can see that.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 10:17:46 am »

Well, I was just kind of giving it as an example of the absolute max I'd expect dorf technology to reach. Anything more complicated than very early guns would probably be too much.

What would you say to statically placed cannons (like the ones found on ships)?

Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 06:40:57 pm »

That'd be reasonable. If they destroyed a 3x3x3 radius, I'd be totally fine with it. Shrapnel rounds could be basically a bunch of blowdarts.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 01:27:10 am »

Every time I hear cobalt all I can think of is the blue stone...
Cobaltite has cobalt in it, but I don't think it's smeltable for the time period. It can be obtained from by-products of copper and nickle smelting.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 02:00:21 am »

The main issue with cobalt was that any attempts to get it out of cobaltite at the time would result in poisoning of some sort (arsenic?), which is why it was called "cobalt/kobold".

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 02:20:06 am »

The main issue with cobalt was that any attempts to get it out of cobaltite at the time would result in poisoning of some sort (arsenic?), which is why it was called "cobalt/kobold".
Didn't stop people from using it as a pigment. Yes, cobaltite is CoAsS (cobalt arsenic sulfide.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt_extraction_techniques#Recovery_from_arsenide_ores
I don't know what carbonate precipitation entails, but electro refining is right out.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:22:41 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 08:52:49 am »

Didn't stop people from using it as a pigment. Yes, cobaltite is CoAsS (cobalt arsenic sulfide.)
Am I the only one who burst out laughing when I saw CoAsS?
I do stuff, I guess
Pages: 1 [2]