Yui/Akemi/Kei (OT3)
- 0 (0%)
Kyo/Madoka (THIS EXISTS)
- 2 (13.3%)
David/Madoka (THIS TOO)
- 3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 157

Author Topic: Katawa Shoujo Gaiden OOC: Somehow still alive  (Read 128237 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Katawa Shoujo Gaiden OOC
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 08:07:22 pm »

Eh. You said you had ideas. Do tell, while I go read up on how the Daytime portions of Persona works again to figure out a better system.

Well... Honestly they aren't well formed/developed as I thought they were. So if you don't have anything tomorrow I'll post something. Gotta think things out some more.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 08:08:51 pm »

We're actually trying NOT to crib an eroge system. And even if I wanted to, I can't because inferior technology.

Eh. You said you had ideas. Do tell, while I go read up on how the Daytime portions of Persona works again to figure out a better system.

Well... Honestly they aren't well formed/developed as I thought they were. So if you don't have anything tomorrow I'll post something. Gotta think things out some more.
You'll probably have until I get home from school tomorrow and then some anyway. If I'm cribbing Persona's system, I'll have to find someone who's done it or figure it out myself.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 11:14:10 am »

Right, so we have three options for how the game system will work.

Option 1: No stats, RP determines everything. A simple roll if anything really needs to be decided. I prefer this one, personally. :P

Option 2: My system:
You will have four stats with 20 points
Academics- determines how skilled you are at schoolwork. Increased by studying (homework, certain clubs, revision).
Charm- determines how likeable you are to NPCs. Increased by certain events.
Physique- determines how fit you are (limited by certain disorders). Increased by exercise (PE, sports clubs).
Luck- determines, well, how lucky you are. Can't be increased, but one can get lucky and get a luck bonus or have a good club choice.

Credits:
The school will determine your passing status depending on how many credits you have at the end of the year.
Attending classes gets you 5 credits
Passing a test gets you 7 credits, while failing gets you 3
Studying gets you 1 credit
Doing homework gets you 2 credits
Extracurricular activities have a variable amount of credit awards.

Academics and Physique matter here: a physical oriented class like PE will depend on your physique, while tests depend on your Academics stat. Academics will also have a small chance of increasing credits acquired in class, extracurriculars, homework or studying by 1, and Physique can do the same for sports.

Clubs:
One can join various clubs, which can boost any one of Academics, Physique or Charm. One can only pick two clubs at a time: one sport/one non-sport or two non-sports. Student Council Members are limited to Council only.

Current defined clubs:
Student Council (limited space, +3 Aca, +2 Cha)
Newspaper (+2 Aca, +1 Phys)
Archery (+2 Phys, +1 Aca) (Sport)
Track (+2 Phys, +1 Cha) (Sport)
Soccer (+2 Phys, +1 Aca) (Sport)
Basketball (+2 Phys, +1 Cha) (Sport)
Computer (+2 Aca, +1 Cha)
Cooking (+2 Cha, +1 Aca)
Light Music (+2 Cha, +1 Aca)
Literature (+2 Aca, +1 Lck)
Debating (+2 Aca, +1 Cha)
Drama (+2 Cha, +1 Lck)
Games (+2 Lck, +1 Cha)
Slacking (+1 Lck, +1 Cha)

Depending on your club, events may come up that add to your credits. Some of these events will be dependent on your stats.

You will also need to fundraise every so often or the club will shut down, thus losing you your bonuses. The fundraising events can happen at my discretion. The only clubs immune to shutting down are Council and Slacking Club.

The club members' Charm will determine how much funds are raised and if enough funds are raised, the club's stat bonuses can increase.

Random Events:
These events can happen to anyone and is determined by Luck. This can give anyone anything from a temporary stat bonus, to added credits, to even a permanent stat bonus. This can also apply to a club, where events like random donations can happen based on the luck of it's members.

Anything else will be defined later.

Option 3: Smurf/USEC will come up with a system themselves or crib it off of a 90's eroge.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:33:31 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 04:11:50 pm »

Oh, right, I was going to comment on this, wasn't I?

Uh... Honestly the biggest problem I see with Option 2 is that the distribution of credits is pretty wonky. Attending classes gives you 5 credits while passing a test only gives you 7. So unless we have plenty of tests then simply attending all of the classes should give you enough credits to pass. Well, depending on how many credits exactly you need. So credit distribution would have to be played with until we reach something that fits.

Though thinking about things, I feel that the best idea would be for Option 1, except everybody is in the same club with maybe a sprinkling of stats for interactions with NPCs. The idea being that since everyone is in the same club we could have actual plotlines. Like 'raise funds' or 'attract new PCs members' or 'get new equipment' or 'beat up rival club' or something like that. And maybe have additional clubs around if we have tons of PCs with different interests, but the basic idea is the same. Everyone is in the same club, having the time of their lives and trying to maintain it. You know what I'm trying to say? Of course this would require a stronger hand from the GM/co-GMs, but I think that we could manage it. And the system would have to be built around managing a club instead of individual students.

I'm explaining things really horribly, aren't I?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 04:29:35 pm »

I was toying with credit distribution myself. I was thinking somewhere in the 350-400 range, 350 being the absolute minimum.

There are also only three class 'sessions' a week (these sessions are the only ones that award credits).

I personally prefer Option 1, but it depends on whether or not you guys really want stats. I had several events planned (school play, festivals, tests) which I can adapt either way.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 04:38:45 pm »

Personally I think that Option 3 is the best. Assuming that I ever get around to making a system, of course... The credit system seems to be somewhat unbalanced and unwieldy to me. Or something. I feel that the stat system should exist to give structure to the game, but still be lightweight and out of the way of delicious RP... If you give me a bit I could crank something out. It definitely probably would have flaws of its own, but I'd be happier with using it at least.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 04:39:07 pm »

I say option 1, but maybe leave tests up to a d100, adding bonuses for showing up for class or studying. So even if you roll say, a 35 on stuff you studied for, and were in class to learn, you could say, make a 65 to pass the test (even with a low grade...). And maybe have X amount of tests a semester, with the passing amount of points being the minimum pass for a.test multiplied by X.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 04:41:47 pm »

Hm. It seems to just be the credit system that's the issue.

So say we cut that, keep the stat system and the clubs, would that be better?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 04:45:17 pm »

I say option 1, but maybe leave tests up to a d100, adding bonuses for showing up for class or studying. So even if you roll say, a 35 on stuff you studied for, and were in class to learn, you could say, make a 65 to pass the test (even with a low grade...). And maybe have X amount of tests a semester, with the passing amount of points being the minimum pass for a.test multiplied by X.

That sounds far too random for a system of taking tests. Ideally intelligence/preparation should constitute the majority of your marks on a test, as opposed to random chance which will certainly creep in if we're rolling d100s.

Hm. It seems to just be the credit system that's the issue.

So say we cut that, keep the stat system and the clubs, would that be better?

Something like that. I... also have ideas. Give me a bit.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 04:47:59 pm »

Okay.

So we've established that the stats are fine, clubs look great, but no credit system. I wouldn't put the tests up to a random roll- the Academics stat was meant to make it less random.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 04:56:01 pm »

Hence why there are bonuses to prevent that d100 from screwing you over. The score would just be capped at 100 to prevent over-passing.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 04:58:34 pm »

I'd make the tests criteria based. Have sets of D grade, C grade, B grade, A grade and A+ grade questions, and let them all have their own academic 'requirement' in order to pass them, like a skill check, or something.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 04:59:37 pm »

I'd make the tests criteria based. D grade, C grade, B grade, A grade and A+ grade questions all have their own academic 'requirement' in order to pass them, like a skill check, or something.
Which is what I was planning.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 05:00:45 pm »

Hence why there are bonuses to prevent that d100 from screwing you over. The score would just be capped at 100 to prevent over-passing.

Except it's still entirely possible to roll a 1 all for all of those bonuses to come to naught. Or to roll a 100 and not need those bonuses. Both outcomes are just as likely. So what'll most likely happen is that we'll get a bunch of people with 100s, because their preparation + random roll gave them over 100. But you'll also have people who did a lot of studying but did terribly because the RNG screwed them over. So what we want is a system where your final grade is based entirely on intelligence/preparation because that's kinda how it works out in real life. The RNG should only factor into preparing for a test, not actually writing one.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 05:03:46 pm »

If you're set on dice, roll a 20d5 or equivalent. Less random.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 157