Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Are you moral?  (Read 18033 times)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
Are you moral?
« on: December 01, 2014, 12:06:37 am »

When you play DF adventure mode, do you actually care about who you kill and try to help people and not kill unnecessarily, or do you just brutally slaughter everyone and do as you please?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Are you moral?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 12:10:32 am »

I'm normally moral, to a point. I wont mindlessly slaughter my way through civilians, but I surely show no mercy on goblins. I've depopulated the world of goblins in one playthrough. If my companions turn against me, get injured badly, or I find they aren't working well enough, I'll cut their arms, then legs off, and cancel our contract and leave. If I get provoked into combat by, say, a crazy vampire, in a village, then I'll kill every villager, as they're witnesses.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 07:42:02 am »

I'm pragmatically Evil, I won't hesitate to slaughter someone in my way regardless of who they are or who they serve, but I don't just massacre everyone for the sake of it.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 10:14:33 am »

It really depends on the world and what mood I'm in.  I've been known to attempt to depopulate towns just because someone there won't submit to my rule, and I'm not above killing people in brutal ways if that's what's required to kill them (such as making a giant bleed to death by hacking off all of its toes after I knocked it out, because repeatedly cleaving its head wasn't doing anything), but most of the time I'm a moral person, attempting to help those around me.  Goblins are the only ones I show no mercy on, as they annoy me to no end and have a tendency to attack me even if I'm not hostile to them.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 10:21:15 am »

Lawful Good paladin-style all the way. I feel terrible if I'm sitting hacking at a goblin's head trying to deliver the coup de grâce and constantly missing or causing mild wounds.

Related, I'm looking forward to being able to call on the gods to strike down people of opposing 'alignment'.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 10:36:25 am »

I tend to play either 1) a sort of neutral good right hand man type, or 2) a roaming explorer/hermit. I also throw in the occasional chaotic evil omnicidal maniac (usually when character type 2 manages to become a necromancer) who won't rest until every last one of [Target Group] is dead, and then jumps into a volcano or something when I get bored of him or his mission is over.

So I'm usually moral, but power corrupts.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 01:30:44 pm »

I usually play as a lawful type and try to accomplish quests and such.  Or at least I did in 34.11 - I haven't really gotten into the new quest system yet.  However I do rather enjoy modding dragons to be used as adventurers, and then laying waste to everything in my path.  This is even more fun now that elf sites exist, and are quite flammable...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 01:40:30 pm »

I default to a lightly armored 'good' character . . . if you call killing friendly bandits and neutral critters good.  Ill serve a cause and do my job, but Ive certainly found it fairly easy to justify 'atrocities' upon races that would in other circumstances be considered allies.

DF is about blood, and most of my characters are kept in loose control by their handlers.  Very loose.

---

And the new quest system does nothing to help.  To watered and duldrom.  I almost never go full-bandity evil however.  And I suspect I steal less than most people.  Even stuff in keeps.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 02:08:05 pm »

I usually pick one or two specific civs and fight for their cause until they have no troubles.

Then I proceed to systematically slaughter every other civ.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 04:16:38 pm »

I tend to be a knight templar kind of good, spreading head-for-an-eye punishment to evildoers, as well as anyone who insults me. I have done my share of genocides, but they have inevitably started by someone spitting on me, me retaliating, people joining in and situation escalating. What are you supposed to do when someone spits on you?!

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 04:35:51 pm »

I tend to be a knight templar kind of good, spreading head-for-an-eye punishment to evildoers, as well as anyone who insults me. I have done my share of genocides, but they have inevitably started by someone spitting on me, me retaliating, people joining in and situation escalating. What are you supposed to do when someone spits on you?!
Spit back, walk away and murder them in the night. Hide and butcher the corpse. No witnesses, no murder.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 05:14:52 pm »

My characters tend to be a bit careless, not not wholly immoral. They won't, for instance, pick fights with some Joe off the streets,  prolong fight for the heck of it, or even purposefully kill opponents whom are way in over their heads. They won't, however, go out of their way to help someone if there's just not enough glory or material reward to bother, even during an emergency. Moreover, my characters don't consider themselves responsible for any collateral damage; they just don't care if an innocent happens to get in the way of one of their zombie slaves.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 07:55:50 pm »

In 40.xx my characters have followed [ETHIC:is:PERSONAL_MATTER] which is fairly chaotic neutral.

They judge the world by what they see and what happens to them rather than by what they are told.

They try to keep their companions alive and mainly engage in beast killing.

Though when they are accosted they never ponder the benefits of weregild (our time's wrongful death claim).

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 09:11:25 pm »

Since there is no objective standard for morality to be based off of in Dwarf Fortress universe, your question is a non-sequitur. Morality and concepts like good and evil have no objective meaning or existence in said universe.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 09:13:54 pm »

Since there is no objective standard for morality to be based off of in Dwarf Fortress universe, your question is a non-sequitur. Morality and concepts like good and evil have no objective meaning or existence in said universe.
No, they're subjective based on who is asking.  I.E. your superiors.  Or competitors, if not a subject.  Or those other irritants who possess power, if you are of the antisocial persuasion.

Much as communication was before electricity. Its subjective and its guidelines are tied to the interest of those asking.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8