Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Theaters  (Read 2313 times)

icer667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Theaters
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:25:21 pm »

Why the hell not? It could be an easy way to make your dwarves happy.

There could be a new profession or skill, which dwarves could use in a "Stage" zone to entertain others sitting in a meeting hall. And perhaps there could be plays generated for each civ, with some basic summary generated by a tree system. I'd quite enjoy a lavish theater as a megaproject.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Theaters
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 07:47:15 pm »

I think this is a very nice idea, and toady probably tought of this too, but it may take a huge time, so, not coming very soon, but definitely going to be implemented.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:34:41 pm »

I definitely see it as something nobles would require.  To attract a noble, one must not only have wealth but CULTURE! No matter how booming your industry is, you are still a backwater without a proper theatre. Oh, your tavern if fine... for peasants and vagabonds! Higher level nobles (duke, monarch) could also require their own luxurious theatre boxes (like at an opera house). 

Linguistic ability is already in the game. Along with creativity and perhaps kinesthetic, these would make good required attributes.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 08:36:55 pm »

Books would go well with this idea, since there could be books of plays and the like.

Still, oneday. Probably in a few years.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 08:48:41 pm »

Books would go well with this idea, since there could be books of plays and the like.

Still, oneday. Probably in a few years.

So Dwarves with acting skills would play out events written in books?
Imagine the engravings of a masterfully performed act.
And the actor Dwarf depicted would get an enhanced happiness bonus from admiring said engraving.
Or perhaps even become enraged/saddened if the engraving does not meet their acting quality?
And the nobles even, the higher up in the hierarchy their position is, the better quality act they expect to watch.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:51:21 pm by Ultimuh »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 09:09:41 pm »

it may take a huge time
Not really. It would be pretty much labeling a zone and making a skill that says "dwarf is acting" and then some thoughts added and stuff. Ta da! Sounds pretty easy actually.

Unless he actually includes descriptions of the plays procedurally generated, in which case there's a lot of creative content busywork.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:29:35 pm »

Oh, that would be beautiful. If dwarves had reactions on seeing images of themselves, based on how they feel about themselves, how they are depicted, the quality of it...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:35:17 pm »

it may take a huge time
Unless he actually includes descriptions of the plays procedurally generated, in which case there's a lot of creative content busywork.

Of Which I, being a burgeoning writer, could help with :)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 09:35:59 pm »

It could be that you just have them perform historical events, like engravings. So just have "Urist McActor mimes stabbing Urist McThespian in the head with the ==microline toy dagger==, lightly tapping the head!" instead of "Urist McWarrior stabs the hydra in the head with the --adamantium short sword--, jamming the skull through the brain".

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 09:59:45 pm »

That's a good call. Mainly just writing syntax and grammar tweaks to the algorithms for reports and history events, then, and you're good to go.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 11:48:41 pm »

It'd be pretty neat if there were sometimes a bonus "personal touch" to the plays too, like Urist McActor pretends to use a wooden sword stolen from a goblin-raised elf to slay a dragon that ate his character's necromancer wife and then randomly decides to monologue about how this unlikely chain of events is much like the haunting moos of a cow. Everyone attending the performance goes back to work feeling more inspired and emotionally fulfilled than normal because they can totally see where he was coming from.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

icer667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 03:40:15 pm »

it may take a huge time

Of Which I, being a burgeoning writer, could help with :)

Now i want this as a mod...

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 05:05:06 pm »

If you even think Toady wouldn't do something the like, setting up ways to procedurally generate plays, musical acts and giving emotions and different levels of skill from the actor, well... Maybe You haven't heard much about him.
I think this is somewhat expected to be, one or other, in the game. Anyone here is a modder? I think we could cut off some wait maybe...
In a time before time, I had a name.

icer667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 04:39:49 pm »

If you even think Toady wouldn't do something the like, setting up ways to procedurally generate plays, musical acts and giving emotions and different levels of skill from the actor, well... Maybe You haven't heard much about him.
I think this is somewhat expected to be, one or other, in the game. Anyone here is a modder? I think we could cut off some wait maybe...

Yea, just learned it's impossible to code in emotions.

Now, we wait for toady to read this post, maybe.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 10:20:10 am »

It'd be pretty neat if there were sometimes a bonus "personal touch" to the plays too, like Urist McActor pretends to use a wooden sword stolen from a goblin-raised elf to slay a dragon that ate his character's necromancer wife and then randomly decides to monologue about how this unlikely chain of events is much like the haunting moos of a cow. Everyone attending the performance goes back to work feeling more inspired and emotionally fulfilled than normal because they can totally see where he was coming from.
I wish I could sig this. And it seems like a reasonably simple thing for Toady to add, so +1 from me.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: [1] 2