Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Minor dialog/combat suggestion - screaming  (Read 2785 times)

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
Minor dialog/combat suggestion - screaming
« on: December 02, 2014, 01:08:44 am »

Really a minor thing, but I feel it would add a bit of an unsettling realism to combat. Adding in screams of pain, confusion, or horror. "Begon fear!" Certainly does not need to go, but adding in something more fitting to a goblin that just had his arm explode into gore would certainly add some flair, or even role-play encouragement if they were to call out for their god or king to save them as they crawl away in fear from something due to broken limbs. After all a goblin just recently doused in forgotton beast spittle, that starts to make his organs rot from the inside out, isn't going to put on a shake-spear play of "woe is me!"  Admittedly I got the inspiration mostly from the soundsense mod for the game, and the various combat noises it included.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Minor dialog/combat suggestion - screaming
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 02:01:10 am »

Yes, definitely. It would at the very least be better than the current awkward soliloquies they give.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 12:31:39 pm »

Yes, definitely. It would at the very least be better than the current awkward soliloquies they give.

"This is truly horrifying"

Odd dialogue for a murderous bearded sociopath who just bit someone so hard that their skull fractured.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 06:20:19 pm »

"This is truly horrifying"

Odd dialogue for a murderous bearded sociopath who just bit someone so hard that their skull fractured.

"Oh %deity name% did he just bite me!?"  Even if things can't be 100% context sensitive, maybe some minor things with people freaking out would be interesting.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 03:07:10 pm »

This is a good idea that would be easy to implement.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 03:17:57 pm »

I do wish that the dialog was a bit less... structured. Toady is great at many things, but believable dialog he is not.
Granted, it's hilarious and if he had the time he could make it sound great, but right now fight scenes sound like the worst fantasy novel you've ever read.
Quote from: In Stores Now!
"It was inevitable," screamed Obok Steelpicked as the bronze colossus ripped his leg clean off.
"In the 4th of Timber 1050 Obok Steelpicked was killed by the bronze colossus Bombrek the Flowers of Waiting," cried his loyal companion Urist at the side of his fallen friend. "Death surrounds us, begone fear!"

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 10:47:48 pm »

I do wish that the dialog was a bit less... structured. Toady is great at many things, but believable dialog he is not.
Granted, it's hilarious and if he had the time he could make it sound great, but right now fight scenes sound like the worst fantasy novel you've ever read.
Quote from: In Stores Now!
"It was inevitable," screamed Obok Steelpicked as the bronze colossus ripped his leg clean off.
"In the 4th of Timber 1050 Obok Steelpicked was killed by the bronze colossus Bombrek the Flowers of Waiting," cried his loyal companion Urist at the side of his fallen friend. "Death surrounds us, begone fear!"
Worst, or the best?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 11:31:04 am »

The occasional Shakespearean pronouncements are awsome and should stay but it would also be nice to occasionally have more regular stuff like simple cries of pain after being wounded, one-word insults or cursewords being shouted inbetween blows and even stuff like bandits saying "you can still surrender and walk away with your life"

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 03:53:11 pm »

I'd love if archer bandits would say "Hands up or I'll shoot!" And proceed to rob you, rather than shooting you.

I'd also like if different civilizations had their own curse words. Like, a Dwarf might say "Mær!"(or something) to curse someone's fate, or an Elf would snicker at woodcutting species with their own derogatory term.

Granted, I still love the wacky dialogue we have now.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 05:01:53 pm »

Really a minor thing, but I feel it would add a bit of an unsettling realism to combat. Adding in screams of pain, confusion, or horror. "Begon fear!" Certainly does not need to go, but adding in something more fitting to a goblin that just had his arm explode into gore would certainly add some flair, or even role-play encouragement if they were to call out for their god or king to save them as they crawl away in fear from something due to broken limbs. After all a goblin just recently doused in forgotton beast spittle, that starts to make his organs rot from the inside out, isn't going to put on a shake-spear play of "woe is me!"  Admittedly I got the inspiration mostly from the soundsense mod for the game, and the various combat noises it included.

...although Shakespeare's tendency for people to say "I'm slain!" or something similar is fairly accurate in many cases. The last words of King Henri IV of France were "J'ai été poignardé!" (I've been stabbed!) after he was stabbed by a Catholic zealot. John Lennon also said "I'm shot, I'm shot" after he was shot.

And, of course, there are the last words of Dominican Republic dictator Rafael Trujillo, who shouted "¡Coño! ¡Me han disparado!" (Cunt! I've been shot!) before dying.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 05:05:40 pm by Urist Uristurister »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 06:19:55 pm »

Nice, realistic and really easy to add. Definitely support.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 10:10:47 am »

I think the current incredibly snarky and blasé dialogue we have right now fits DF too well for it to be replaced. Still, if implemented well, this could be nice.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 10:29:04 am »

I think the current incredibly snarky and blasé dialogue we have right now fits DF too well for it to be replaced. Still, if implemented well, this could be nice.

Who said it would ever be replaced? It would just be featured alongside it.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 02:08:30 pm »

Who said it would ever be replaced? It would just be featured alongside it.

It could be an adjustable option in the in the pause menu for how silly/serious you want the combat dialogue to be. That would be a minor change that wouldn't require a new world to be generated.

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 04:59:01 pm »

I think the sometimes bizarre combat "dialogue" is meant to be an informative indicator for the player rather than, well, dialogue. It does it's job and allows the player to see the reactions of creatures regarding the current situation in a game that can't convey most body language or expressions.

I think screaming and such could replace the current very explicit pain indicator. After all you wouldn't know if someone was in pain if they didn't show signs. Perhaps also add flavor text messages or dialog to indicate nauseation, fatigue, enragement and other combat states rather than have them presented in a simple list?
Pages: [1] 2