Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should warm stone with mud on it be able to grow any plant in any season?

No
- 2 (20%)
Yes
- 7 (70%)
Other (specify)
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Magma greenhouse effect  (Read 1633 times)

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
Magma greenhouse effect
« on: December 02, 2014, 10:40:46 am »

There is no way in vanilla to grow certain plants in certain areas because of climate season etc. What I am thinking is that if there is warm stone with mud on it then any farm plots should be able to grow crops of any type.
 The theory is that if a plan is heated then it will not die from cold and maybe the heat will accelerate plant growth in season.
As for the idea that it would be overpowered, it really can be a pain to either channel down to the magma or bring the magma up to the surface (edit:) this could also tie into future already planned irrigation updates factoring in soil moisture to climate. Functional greenhouses should be a thing.
 Please share thoughts or ideas. I really want to grow pineapples on a glacier or tundra.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 03:34:34 pm by Manzeenan »

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 10:44:57 am »

Being able to use magma to grow plants sounds awesome, but plants being exposed to warm stone 24/7 and possibly grow roots into the magma(!) would have a detrimental effect on the plant. Also, this would make sense during winter, but what about summer?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:01:21 am »

A stone layer is a long ways for a garden plant to spread their roots in the span of their growth i could totally understand a tree though.
As for the summer depending on the climate either accelerated growth during the summer for some plants or maybe add a hydration factor, possibly even disable some plants. If one was to pump magma up to a farm they could have a holding chamber below the heating pool for when magma needs to be drained to cool the stone.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 03:03:07 pm »

i think that what can be grown should be affected by soil temperature, like if the soil is warm or hot in conjunction with the season should determine what will grow, maybe there could even be a plant in or something that is extremely valuable that only grows in the second hottest climate on with heated soil. A fire flower lol.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 03:14:45 pm »

This is a really cool idea. In general, it goes along with a change that should be made for causing plants to be based on ACTUAL climate/temperatures, not a once-removed abstraction of this by using hard-coded seasons, like is done currently. I.e. some plants should die when it frosts, on whatever day of the year that ACTUALLY happens. Season on the calendar should not be in the raws / should be irrelevant to agriculture. Instead, frost damage and heat damage ranges should apply to crops, rainfall needed, etc.

In such a system, this would fit in very naturally (although warming of magma would also have to be properly simulated in context, not just a hardcoded warm stone temp like currently)

Being able to use magma to grow plants sounds awesome, but plants being exposed to warm stone 24/7 and possibly grow roots into the magma(!) would have a detrimental effect on the plant. Also, this would make sense during winter, but what about summer?
No plants except trees in DF have tile or longer sized roots, doesn't seem a problem.

As for summer, see comments at the top of this post -- if it were about actual temperature, not season, then this is a non-issue. It's up to you as the overseer to make sure magma + summer temps don't get too high for your crops, and turn off the magma tap or move it into another reservoir for the summer if climate makes this a concern.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:23:44 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 03:59:34 pm »

See I really dont know that much about coding but it seems that there might be some more cpu demands because of temperature checking but other than that i dont see a problem.
Dwarf fortress is moving towards simulating life lol.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 04:05:21 pm »

hydration should be a thing too, to offset any qualms of being overpowered it would take more watering for heated land or dryer climate, there wouldnt have to be a detection even, it could be like fertilization but instead of seasonal waterng it could range from daily to every three days with damp soil/stone requiring no watering therefore implementing irrigation in the same way. 

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 04:07:27 pm »

water would actually become important almost essential to a fort in order to grow crops, I've always had some qualms about how booze is made without any water and plants magically sucking water from the air and soil. water seems somewhat useless aside from cleaning and drinking when the booze runs out.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 01:08:00 am »

Umm so irrigation is on the  dev page sorry for viewers I didn't know but the heat part is relevant