Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma greenhouse  (Read 1589 times)

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
Magma greenhouse
« on: December 02, 2014, 03:11:01 pm »

Is there a way to mod when a plant can grow based upon soil temperature? Im looking to heat a stone or soil layer with magma to enable the growth of any plant in any season without changing the base season thing from vanilla, semi-endgame farming. There is a vanilla suggestion in the suggestion forum here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146182.0
Send help

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Magma greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 03:17:45 pm »

One solution would be to allow planting in all four seasons but put a cold damage point in the material for seeds and/or plant structural material.  I'm not sure that would prevent sprouting, or more importantly if it would stop planting the doomed seeds.  It'd be up to the player to remember what is heated and what is not.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 03:32:59 pm »

Thats clever, if it didnt prevent planting or destroy seeds that it would defeat the purpose a little. I could enable all seasons and biomes for plants, put magma underneath and pretend that I am accomplishing my goal but there is a difference between upgrading and pretending to upgrade.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 04:49:22 pm »

You would have to place production, storage and planting of the seeds all in a heated area. If you remember correctly seeds stay in the farm field 'building' and should be affected by temperature.

A custom reaction and possibly a workshop to turn whatever item into seeds should let you do this.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 06:08:26 pm »

ohh yeahh that is inconvenient I would have to be very careful with seeds then.
Growing needs to be revamped  :-\ Maybe Toady will see this or the post in the suggestion forums. There is some really good stuff coming from it.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 10:57:27 am »

The plant should be vulnerable to frost, but the whole point of seeds is for them to survive the winter until they can sprout.  Only something really fragile (and valuable) should require heated storage for seeds.  The problem is that simple raw-modding will leave it incumbent upon the player to remember which plots are heated and which are not.  A DFHack plug-in might be able to intercept the farming menu to disallow planting when it would be doomed (based on the biome and the "warm stone" status of the plot).

The remaining issue is that the world generator still won't be aware of this flaw in the plants, which could lead to some weirdness especially if Adventurers see impossible gardens.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 11:46:49 am »

yeah hopefully the suggestion thread of this gains speed