Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pearls  (Read 1373 times)

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
Pearls
« on: December 04, 2014, 04:10:02 pm »

Trying to add pearls to mussels and oysters, do i just add [PEARL] to the creature? Should it be a given or a chance? Its material value is 1 is this a good number?

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
Re: Pearls
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 04:34:14 pm »

A material value of 1 will make it next to worthless.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 04:50:59 pm »

According to the wiki, the [PEARL] token doesn't actually work at the moment. I don't know how true that is though.

One thing you could try is to make a new body part similar to shells that are added into the creatures' raws, but made out of the pearl material.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 05:07:30 pm »

You could make an extra butcher object like the gizzard stone in some birds.  The only problem is that it would show up in every specimen.

Maybe give the critters a pair of castes that are indistinguishable by the in-game description, one common one without the EBO and a rarer one with.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 05:43:59 pm »

Okay so the butcher part was what i was thinking.
Still very new to modding so I will try to figure out caste stuff, good idea. I also thought of making a prepare raw shellfish reaction with a chance of generating a pearl. The caste idea sounds good, off to figure out how to mod this.
What would be good values for pearls? certainly more than any glass but less than some higher value gems. Also how do I modify the frequency of the pearl bearing shellfish?
Thank you guys.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 07:15:02 pm »

I think pearls should be [MATERIAL_VALUE:20] Better than lower gems, equal to the cheapest semi-precious. Maybe you could have blue pearls be worth 30.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 09:42:21 pm »

I always get oysters with half having pearls and half not, even when I specify a [POP_RATIO:1000] for the unpearled ones against [POP_RATIO:1]. Might be that being unnumbered makes it so?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 11:00:07 pm »

I always get oysters with half having pearls and half not, even when I specify a [POP_RATIO:1000] for the unpearled ones against [POP_RATIO:1]. Might be that being unnumbered makes it so?
POP_RATIO is a little odd in worldgen.  Creatures that spawn on your map ought to respect the ratios.  I learned about this when I saw six ant woman queens hanging out in the first cavern layer.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 01:34:03 am »

So what should I do as a Dabbling Modder

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 03:29:02 am »

Adding an extra butcher object will only work on large creatures, not fishable vermin.

You can create a custom material that is like shell but more valuable, call it 'pearl', then create a custom bodypart that is like a shell but is called a 'pearl', and replace the shell material and bodypart in oysters with the pearl material and bodypart.  Then they should leave pearls instead of shells, and you'll be able to use them to decorate objects.  It'll be weird anatomically but creature body plans don't really matter for vermin anyway.

Perhaps make two castes of oysters; the normal ones have regular shells and rare ones have pearls.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 05:13:50 am »

Unfortunately I enjoy decorating all my goods and furniture with my recycled kitchen waste Mussel shells

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 07:23:16 am »

You can create a custom material that is like shell but more valuable, call it 'pearl'

Just pointing out that there is already a pearl material template, though it only has a base material value of one.

As I mentioned before, if you want to add pearls without removing shells, you could make a custom body part called a pearl, which uses the pearl material. All you would have to do to create it is copy and paste the shell body part and change the names. Then you just add the pearl body part to the creatures that you would like to produce pearls, and create a tissue within the creature to apply the pearl material to the pearl body part.

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 10:37:29 am »

If you go BlackFlyme's way, then I'd reckomend adding
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:PEARL(or whatever the pearl material is)]
[MULTIPLY_VALUE:30]
somewhere near the end, past the castes, just in case you happen to define the pearl part to be part of all the crearures.
If you make the pearl part of a caste, then I'm pretty sure you stick that bit into the caste with it.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something