Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Dwarven Gauntlet  (Read 12524 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
The Dwarven Gauntlet
« on: December 08, 2014, 01:04:43 pm »

Once upon a time, there was a Bay12 group on HabitRPG. I put together an exercise challenge for the group, then quickly lost interest in HabitRPG in general because their website is held together with scotch tape and chewing gum. Some people have expressed interest in taking up the Dwarven Gauntlet, so I'm posting it here if you can't get to HabitRPG, don't want to make an account, or just want to stay on Bay12. Post exercise stories, support, advice, or whatever in here.

Anyway, this is the challenge I issued.

Let's face it, B12, most of us are pasty, chair bound nerds for one reason or another. Well, it's time to change that and dorf up. If you want to get healthy, you have to get moving, and you will move in this challenge. We aren't expecting to become super-athletes or bodybuilders here, it's all about getting a little better than we were a little bit at a time. Incremental steps are the key to getting better at anything, and health is no exception.

Don't overestimate yourself at first, and know your limits. If anything hurts, stop and take a breather. If it still hurts after resting, you may need to see a doctor or find an alternate exercise. Easy mode is more than what much of the internet is doing, so there's no shame in starting there. Take your time, use controlled movements, and don't injure yourself. Start every workout with a brief warmup. 20 jumping jacks or 30 seconds of jogging in place (get your knees up to your chest if you can!) is plenty. Stretch a little bit, but save the real stretching for after the workout. We aren't training for the Dorf Olympics, and we don't want to see anyone hurt. Let's use proper technique.

Below are the Circuits. Give yourself 30-60 seconds of rest time between each exercise, then get right back to it, even if you're tired. If you get too tired, stop for a second, then keep on pushing. Whatever you do, do not let your form slip. Bad form creates bad habits and injuries. Drink plenty of water. After you're finished exercising, gently stretch anything that is sore or burns, and take a shower (it helps your recovery time.) Then, eat something good for you. If you're into milk, drink an 8oz glass of chocolate milk. Seriously, it's the best thing you can drink. Soy milk works for this, too, if you can't do regular milk.

**Easy Circuit**: 10 incline pushups, 10 crunches, 5 oblique crunches (each side,) 10 squats, 10 lunges (each side), and 30 seconds straight of planking.

**Medium Circuit**: 20 pushups, 25 crunches, 10 obliques (each side,) 10 squat leaps, 15 lunges (each side), and 1 minute straight of planking.

**Hard Circuit** (Are you dorf enough?): 50 pushups OR 30 decline pushups, 50 crunches, 20 obliques (each side), 20 burpees, 20 lunges (each side), and 2 minutes straight of planking.

If you have no idea what any of those things are, fear not! Here are some videos to help you get started:

Pushup
This is pretty much a perfect military pushup.

Incline/Decline Pushup
Guy's butt is too high, but you get the idea.

Crunch
Perfect crunch form. Nice and controlled.

Oblique Crunch
I don't go quite so far apart with my legs (I actually tuck my top leg so that my knee is on the ground,) and the weird noises are optional.

Squat
I prefer a straighter back, especially when working with weights, but you get the gist.

Lunge
This is why I have absurdly large calves and thighs. Get low, people!

Plank
This is perfect form. That's really all there is to it. Looks easy, will start to burn after about 20 seconds. To make it easier to track your time, put a stopwatch in your field of vision. To make it harder, get a yoga ball and plank with your arms on that. Planking is really, **really** hard, especially at first. If you can't stay up for the full time, go 10, 20 or 30 seconds at a time, just remember not to count the time you're on the floor.

Jump Squat
I like to see more explosiveness in the jump, though. Aim higher!

Burpee
More explosiveness on the jump! Aim high!

Alright, folks, let's get to it! Get that fat burning like it's made of magmaaaaa!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:14:09 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Gauntlet
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 01:23:23 pm »

I need to start doing this stuff. Thanks for putting this together, MZ.

Out of curiosity, why is chocolate milk the best thing to drink? Aside from the obvious this-stuff-is-delicious reason, I mean.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 01:38:47 pm »

Challenge Accepted. I could set a future start date and then forget, but hell, it's Monday, great day for new beginnings. Once I've got the kids down I'll do this then chew on some veggies or something. To keep me motivated I will log my first week here, after that I should be good to go momentum wise. I'll start with the easy track because I'm asthmatic and out of shape (but round is a shape, hurhurhur).

@Sirus. Quick google search says it's better do to higher carbohydrate content, something something glucose recovery something something.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 02:39:49 pm »

I need to get enough sleep and eat enough.

I sorta need to eat 8000 calories a day due to my annoying as crap metabolism so sooorta underweight.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 07:55:15 pm »

This twig man is in on this because I've got nothing better to do, so I may as well do so.

[Selects MEDIUM mode]

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 08:04:04 pm »

I've got the Easy regimen set up on HabitRPG. As it becomes...well, easier, I'll upgrade.

I didn't have time this morning to do the entire set, so I'm continuing in my truck. Is that a bad idea, to split the routine up?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 08:24:09 pm »

"easy" circuit the first complete. Review!

10 incline pushups: I did 10 normal pushups due to lack of good surface to incline on. Holy crap I remember pushups being easier, mind you I was lifiting about 60 less pounds last time I tried them. Overall not terrible.

10 crunches: HAHAHAHAHAHAH oh god I must've looked pathetic. again, long time since done crunches, made sure I was doing them properly, barely moved.... but hey, I felt it so after time should get better.

5 oblique crunches (each side,):Not only is this the weirdest exercise I've done, but it made me look even more pathetic than the normal crunches, I was like a flopping fish. Terrible.

10 squats:I've always had slightly stronger legs, so nothing terrible here, a nice break.

10 lunges (each side):Same as above, struggled a bit but nothing too bad, more just getting the technique down.

30 seconds straight of planking: Holy crap you were not kidding, after like 5 seconds I was shaking. Made it to the full 30 and it took all my energy to not collapse and let myself down gently.

Review overall: Got my heart going, I'm sweating a bit, hydrtaing. did my after strecthces (forgot fore stretches doh). My lower back is protesting a bit so I think I need to work on my crunch and oblique crunch techniques, may be putting my back in to it a bit too much. Also, need a mat.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 08:45:06 pm »

I've discovered that mattresses are not an ideal platform to exercise on. Trying to plank resulted in my feet and arms sinking down and rendered the entire thing moot :P

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 09:06:00 pm »

Ummmmm hard mode is what we did in my schools summer school gym and why is cardio almost non existant on the list?
Any how this is going to be a daily thing that I want to start doing
I'm rather fat and well would rather not be fat
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 09:30:15 pm »

Dayum, 50 pushups and 20 burpees?

Hardmode is gonna be an interesting (read; devestating) challenge at my level of fitness, so I might try that.

(Also slight typo below Burpee.)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 09:38:09 pm »

I heartily encourage exercise!  Especially body-weight ones!

Dont forget regular stretching.  Passive exercise, good for quick touch ups and for when you really dont want to do anything else.  If you stretch and then do shock your body (hot water - then cold for a brief period, then hot again) itll be fine to loosen you up.  *15 minutes of whole-body stretching a day, plus 10 for the shower.*

Also ptw.  Im afraid those exercises arent for me, though.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:43:03 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 09:54:04 pm »

why is cardio almost non existant on the list?
As long as you follow the instructions of doing the exercises one after another with only short (30-60s) pauses in-between, you'll get your heart rate up significantly.

If you feel you need some more cardio after all, go ahead and change the routine. It's not like list is cast in stone or something.

Here's a nice overview of exercises that are easy to implement into MZ's base list:
https://toughmudder.com/training/bootcamp

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 11:23:12 pm »

Posting so this thread will keep showing up in my new replies list and maybe shame me into getting fit. 

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 11:34:45 pm »

Monday is best day for exercise.

These circuits, are we to repeat them 3-5 times per exercise?

why is cardio almost non existant on the list?
As long as you follow the instructions of doing the exercises one after another with only short (30-60s) pauses in-between, you'll get your heart rate up significantly.

If you feel you need some more cardio after all, go ahead and change the routine. It's not like list is cast in stone or something.

Here's a nice overview of exercises that are easy to implement into MZ's base list:
https://toughmudder.com/training/bootcamp

Can always take a quick jog as a warmup, too.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 12:18:36 am »

Posting so this thread will keep showing up in my new replies list and maybe shame me into getting fit.

Seconded. I don't have to lose weight though, I've got the opposite problem if anything, but fit I am not.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7