Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Increasing enemy armor usage in adv. mode  (Read 1873 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing enemy armor usage in adv. mode
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 07:01:15 pm »

1. Under what situations are creatures known to spawn wearing full armor?

2. Under what situations are creatures known to spawn wearing partial armor (the helmet and chest armor combo)?

3. Can the above situations be reliably triggered (perhaps using DFHack?) for testing purposes?

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 07:53:39 pm »

I'd have to check what raws I used, but I recall when I was working on my gnoll mod that I gave them masks to wear, and by some quirk every single villager, peasant, farmer and lord alike were wearing iron masks. Which was certainly intimidating, though perhaps not in the way I'd have liked.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 12:26:41 am »

1. Under what situations are creatures known to spawn wearing full armor?

2. Under what situations are creatures known to spawn wearing partial armor (the helmet and chest armor combo)?

3. Can the above situations be reliably triggered (perhaps using DFHack?) for testing purposes?

Can't say for the first one, but #2 is the traditional goblin invasion wear. Breastplate, helmet and some scabby loincloth.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 08:17:32 am »

You can have a shot at fortress defense.

Right now it is noticeably easier due to "no attacks in DF2014" stuff.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 11:08:16 am »

Posting to watch. Been trying to get this to work myself, only success I have had is when I removed the armorlevel tag and made it the only OVER layer 'clothing' the entity had access to.

It caused weird things like children in full plate armor though.

I don't recall seeing any of it rot, I suspect that might be exclusive to non-armor 'soft' items. This was a long time ago though so I could be wrong.

Something to look into is how the game prioritises layering. Possibly armor would be assigned to a character which is already wearing too much clothing for the armor to fit and thus show up wearing just clothes.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 11:21:21 pm »

Something to look into is how the game prioritises layering. Possibly armor would be assigned to a character which is already wearing too much clothing for the armor to fit and thus show up wearing just clothes.

I think the "helm and breastplate" is hardcoded. Modding out all clothing and setting material values/weights to 1 did not fix it. I encountered soldiers equipped with a weapon, shield, breastplate, helm, and pouch (and nothing else). Notably, the breastplate and helm are decorated with the civ's symbol.

The next best step is to ask Toady One if it is intentional that civ soldiers never use hand/foot/lower body armors.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 03:19:48 pm »

Bugger. Guess my last attempt was more than a few versions ago.

On a similar note, has anyone ever found a way to keep the game from giving soldiers a shield with a two-handed weapon? The only ways I have found around this is putting all the two-handed weapons on the pike skill which makes sense for polearms but... less for two-handed weapons, or making them ranged weapons with no ammo which annoyingly limits material choices and makes them turn up in wooden form as well.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 09:40:17 pm »

I haven't been able to change what the soldiers standing around in the adventure mode mead halls/manor house things are wearing yet, but progress has been made. The game does save a "uniform" under the "historical entity". I tried editing the uniform via DFHack, but no results yet. I encourage other people to experiment with this (look in df.global.world.entities.all
  • .uniforms).

I can also verify that the game is hardcoded to specifically use a head armor and an upper body armor only, with a bias for the highest ARMORLEVEL of all the item types available to the civ.
Pages: 1 [2]