Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 59

Author Topic: The Mind: Day 4 - Finale  (Read 106644 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
The Mind: Day 4 - Finale
« on: December 10, 2014, 01:10:36 pm »

I' have to push this one out before I overthink myself out of this. This game will probably be short one, unless players want to continue after the goal is reached. There will be some secret activity and scheming. One major thing is figuring out if I have what it takes to run a game. Let's see if this one can fly!

So, mankind have found another Earth-like planet. Initial scan revealed that it is very much like Earth in many aspects; athmosphere, gravity, plate tectonics, ocean/land division are all same or close enough. It's brimming with life. No spacefaring civilizations was found, no radio signals and no obvious tracks of intelligent design visible from space.

Natural reaction was to send bunch of scientists to figure out if it will suit for human life. Geologists for mapping geography and finding valuable mineral deposits. Meteorologists for studying weather patterns on the planet and assisting other groups with weather forecasts. Biologists for studying local flora and fauna. Doctors in case of new infectious disease. Engineers for building things once good location is found. Military for protection.

You, players, are for most part biologists. Your mobile base has just departed from the mothership, and it contains all possible equipment you would need in your job.

Only readers and players who are permitted to read secrets can read this spoiler.

Spoiler: Roles (click to show/hide)

Current crew:
Biologists:

Security:
Spoiler: Haveroszaur: Adam Tom (click to show/hide)

Doctors:
Spoiler: Ama: Andrew Helios (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:17:02 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: The Mind
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 01:38:40 pm »

I'm interested.

I have a few questions though.

And a couple statements.

Statements are pretty much all the life found on the planet is likely to be extremely toxic or otherwise inedible due to the amino acids and general protein structure.

Same goes for viruses and infections. We're just as toxic and our microbes can't nom theirs and theirs can't nom ours. Flat out incompatiblity.

I would be more concerned about pollen and spores then infections.

Questions are:

Stance on bio or mechanical augments or alterations from base human.

Pure human or no? If humanity is starfaring, genetic modification likely has resulted in several deviant branches.

Questions are related to character creation.

Statements are just something to point out. Feel free to just hand wave everything as being compatable with humans, although that would be super odd and likely could be a major plot point later in.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 02:35:05 pm »

Statements are pretty much all the life found on the planet is likely to be extremely toxic or otherwise inedible due to the amino acids and general protein structure.

Same goes for viruses and infections. We're just as toxic and our microbes can't nom theirs and theirs can't nom ours. Flat out incompatiblity.

I would be more concerned about pollen and spores then infections.
Good point to worry about. The plot will take care of it.

Stance on bio or mechanical augments or alterations from base human.
In case of serious injury mechanical parts will be used temporarily until new biological parts are ready for attachment. Body modifications... are ok to limited degree. As long as it doesn't include new big bodyparts like extra arms.
Much of technology can be controlled with simple mind control (brainwave reading thing that already exists, just a bit more advanced) and body language so direct brain-computer links do not exist beyond that. So no downloading stuff directly into you brain or out into computers.

Pure human or no? If humanity is starfaring, genetic modification likely has resulted in several deviant branches.
Pure human. Genetic modification is used to fix obvious genetic "errors", harmful mutations and such.

Feel free to just hand wave everything as being compatable with humans, although that would be super odd and likely could be a major plot point later in.
I'll use lot of handwaving and abstractions. Mentioned points are not really important from viewpoint of the plot, at least not for planned part. Feel free to roleplay them though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:36:41 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 03:14:17 pm »

I think that if there was an onset of genetic alteration, a number of people would hop on board and those with money would likely end up with a deviant genetic line. If remote bodies are a thing due to mental control, then advanced limb augs and additions are plausible. The market for additional body parts is quite high right now actually, just no supply. Irl, I'll be getting a tail as soon as that bioaugment is deemed safe and becomes available on the commercial market.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 05:20:19 pm »

I think I'll make a sheet.

Name: György Géza
Description:  György come is a Magyar from Hungary. He spent most of his life researching how various bacteria evolve in a contained enviroment. He is a medium height, thin man with short dark hair and thick eyebrows. He is clean shaven, and wears protective eyewear even if unnecessary. He was chosen for this mission because of his expertise in the subject of microbes and other less advanced organisms. He volunteered merrily when he heard about the mission, mostly because he truly wants fame and to become a living (or dead) legend.
Role: Biologist
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 06:04:49 pm »

Name: You know this one.
Description:Even as a child, Alex's main focuses were on his studies. He spent most of his time in solitary as he grew. He went to Stanford university from a scholarship. He saw the chance to go to another planet for studies, and hopped on board.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 09:50:54 am »

I think that if there was an onset of genetic alteration, a number of people would hop on board and those with money would likely end up with a deviant genetic line. If remote bodies are a thing due to mental control, then advanced limb augs and additions are plausible. The market for additional body parts is quite high right now actually, just no supply. Irl, I'll be getting a tail as soon as that bioaugment is deemed safe and becomes available on the commercial market.
If you want a tail then sure, go ahead. I don't mind.

I think I'll make a sheet.

Name: György Géza
Description:  György come is a Magyar from Hungary. He spent most of his life researching how various bacteria evolve in a contained enviroment. He is a medium height, thin man with short dark hair and thick eyebrows. He is clean shaven, and wears protective eyewear even if unnecessary. He was chosen for this mission because of his expertise in the subject of microbes and other less advanced organisms. He volunteered merrily when he heard about the mission, mostly because he truly wants fame and to become a living (or dead) legend.
Got it.

Name: You know this one.
Description:Even as a child, Alex's main focuses were on his studies. He spent most of his time in solitary as he grew. He went to Stanford university from a scholarship. He saw the chance to go to another planet for studies, and hopped on board.
This works. Are you sure about the name?
Old sigs.
Games.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mind: [2/4+]
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 03:05:17 pm »

Meant to write Alex Raman.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 03:18:44 pm »

Thought so. 8)
First post updated.
Old sigs.
Games.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 10:09:38 am »

Does anyone else want to join?
Old sigs.
Games.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 01:08:52 pm »

Yep, let me get around to writing.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 01:20:13 pm »

I'll sign on as a doctor, sheet pending. Could be a while before the sheet is finished, though.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 01:36:40 pm »

I'm surprised there isn't a geologist job now that I think about it. Archeology and gelological samples seem like they would be high priority.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 02:07:04 pm »

Name: Cromwell Jackson
Description: A tall, lanky man. He joined on due to the fact that he has practically no useful skills, but was trained with the use of weapons upon signing on. He's aware of the inherent danger, and the implication that he's expendable, but he tries not to let that get to head, and focuses on the job at hand.
Role: Security
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 03:13:13 pm »

Name: Jonathan Pendle
Description: Slightly below average height, wiry build, jet black hair. Clean shaven. Slightly longer hair than is common for men, but not massively so. Wears simple glasses. Often nervous, he tends to be a little bit of a coward in the face of direct danger. Though he's trained as a doctor, he's more interested in any possible anthropology and archaeology that he could try to conduct. Ran a small private practice for a few years, before eventually shutting down due to lack of business. Tends to be reserved and quiet, but when he's under pressure he tends to take command of things.
Role: Doctor
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 59