Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Repopulation -Sandbox PvP MMORPG- Star Wars Galaxies/Tabula Rasa/Shadowbane  (Read 8085 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I saw there wasn't a thread about this MMO. So, decided to make one.

Here is a link:
https://www.therepopulation.com/

It is very similar to Star Wars Galaxies, Tabula Rasa and a bit of Shadowbane/EVE. It will have deep crafting, very similar to that of SWG (site says 1000s of items)...and has Tabula Rasa+Shadowbane/EVE mixed in.

I'm under NDA, so I don't know what I can say (I definitely want to say a lot!)...I don't want to say anything they haven't talked about yet though and break the NDA. But, go to the link and check out the features and what not.

NDA should be lifted this month sometime...so...we'll see if that happens.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 03:19:06 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is good that there is a thread for this now. Or at least a new one.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

I have been monitoring the game for a while. I'm still waiting when they will allow 24/7 alpha/beta as I am interested in the game but I do not want to play only on the weekend.

Mailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been waiting for ages for something to recreate SWG ... which I LOVED. Crafting, house decorating, hunting, the character system, hunting for resources, creature hunter, bio engineer... depth galore.

Unfortunately I've read that the game will be full loot PvP ... which would kill it for me.
Ok, reading the website says that only hardcore servers will be full loot, good. On normal servers non-consensual PvP is only available in contested zones, not in protected ones ... which is apparently 2/3 of the total area. Ouch. I don't know whether being confined to 1/3 of the game will be fun.
I rather liked how SWG did PvP ... available everywhere, but only to players actually interested in PvP.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.

Oh, another game trying to recreate the early MMO experience. It will really depend on the community that the game manages to attract on how well that works.

Many of the games seeking to recreate the early MMO experience (especially similar to Ultima Online with full loot etc) fail because of the community. The problem is that full loot pvp games attract people who just like to kill everyone they see or just grief people. And if your entire community is made up of people like that, you just have a free for all everywhere that pvp is enabled. You don't get the early Ultima Online experience of mostly nice helpful folks and the occasional murderer (and often nice, helpful murderers - lol).

The issue is the people that weren't really into pvp played Ultima Online at that time because the market was pretty slim as far as good MMOs went. But now they have a huge variety, so those folks shy away from games with full pvp, especially full loot pvp. That's why it's really hard to attract a balanced community these days.

Still, it looks like something to keep an eye on. I do like games like these if they can pull off a good feature list and the community isn't comprised of 90% asshats.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:35:52 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been waiting for ages for something to recreate SWG ... which I LOVED. Crafting, house decorating, hunting, the character system, hunting for resources, creature hunter, bio engineer... depth galore.

Unfortunately I've read that the game will be full loot PvP ... which would kill it for me.
Ok, reading the website says that only hardcore servers will be full loot, good. On normal servers non-consensual PvP is only available in contested zones, not in protected ones ... which is apparently 2/3 of the total area. Ouch. I don't know whether being confined to 1/3 of the game will be fun.
I rather liked how SWG did PvP ... available everywhere, but only to players actually interested in PvP.

Well, the way I see it...this is only if you ever played Asheron's Call or know about it.

Hardcore=Darktide
Normal/Casual=The other AC servers

I can't say much about how PvP will be, because I don't know. Just the little I've read about it. I think the full loot thing is only on the hardcore servers, but again, I'm not sure. On the hardcore it will be free for all, but huge penalties for killing your own faction (supposedly) and casual its more faction vs faction. I may be wrong, but that is my impression on it. But don't take my word for it.

The game is, however, seems to be designed with PvP in mind. With the way factions take control of cities and what not. Maybe DAOC a bit? I honestly probably shouldn't say anything on the subject past this, as I don't know how its going to end up. But, the PvE stuff is amazing if you liked SWG. Can avoid PvP and just be a full time crafter. There is one thing I want to talk about (its a support role) as it is AMAZING...but I think that is a breach of NDA. So I'll just move on before I do. But SWG had something similar, but they did it a lot better.

With that said, I can safely say (don't see why not, it isn't game related) that the devs are awesome. The devs treat it as an actual alpha (think of that, in modern days an alpha for actual testing...not just to hype up the game (heh, a recent sandbox asian mmo did this)). And actually communicate a lot with the players. Its definitely nice to have that level of communication though with the devs...like the good ole days. Hopefully they keep up the motto through beta and release.

As for the community, hopefully it attracts a good community. On the hardcore server, it will definitely most likely be a lot worse because hardcore servers always do that in every game. The hardcore players are almost ALWAYS asshats. No matter the game. Just look at EVE, full of douchebags and even what would be considered in real life, psychotic people. Darkfall is full of douches too. UO private servers that are PvE are amazing communities, the PvP ones are crappy. I think it was CoD that had hardcore servers, or was it Battlefield? But those servers were worse than any other server. So if you want a (likely) good community, play the casual server. I'm pretty sure they'll end up being really friendly. They "usually" do anyway.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

PTW
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube

This went out on Steam early access yesterday for 15% off ($33). I haven't done much except skip the tutorial and load in the new planet. Everything is very smooth. Graphics aren't all that hot, but that's not an issue for some. Within a minute I had ran into a dancing NPC, she taught me the dancing skill, and I was up on a table entertaining soldiers. Good times. Obviously lots of SWG comparisons, but they they are well deserved. The skill tree is vast and looks like there is a lot of freedom in what you can do.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gambled and bought the game.
Hopefully getting to play tonight :)

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gonna echo what Tobel said, I bought this game on a whim, and haven't regretted it yet. I put in about 2 hours yesterday, combat is fairly bad at current, at least for melee, but the crafting and other trees look interesting enough. Gonna try to make a crafting character next.

Flaws I find.

There's no quest waypoints. I got a quest to kill a random mob(Malfunctioning Robot) wandering outside of Freedomtown(Besttown), however I couldn't ever find this mob, and finally asking in chat they said it spawns randomly, and you need to kill it before anyone else in that random location to get the quest rewards.

The interface is just as clunky as SWG's was, if not more so.

The quests are delivered to you by mail, not by any specific bounty board or anything like that. Which might be a good idea, but I really liked the way SWG did it with bounty boards better, just from a person preference.

Things I want.

I want player generated quests, IE someone puts out an alert that they want certain materials gathered of a certain QL. Or that they want guards to patrol their house or city.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Well, the way I see it...this is only if you ever played Asheron's Call or know about it.

Hardcore=Darktide
Normal/Casual=The other AC servers

Oh lord....Darktide was probably the first time a computer game made me frightened of humanity in general. Nothing like getting killed 6 times in a row just trying to run away from the new player spawn, so that you're left naked and helpless in the wilderness.

Come to think of it, Darktide was just a prototype of these open-world survival MMOs like The Forest. xD

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want player generated quests, IE someone puts out an alert that they want certain materials gathered of a certain QL.

I believe that is already in, tied to the AH.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

How are people enjoying this game??? I just got a few days ago and have been having a blast!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How are people enjoying this game??? I just got a few days ago and have been having a blast!

I really enjoyed alpha 3, and just got into alpha 4 (I had the invite for a while, but I was busy with all the new games I got from steam sales).

I like you can enrich the region, which enhances the quality of resource in the area. It takes time to do of course so pretty much just go AFK as you do it, but it makes all the materials you get for you and other players a lot better quality. So kinda team support there. You can be a high skilled player, go to a noob area and make all the materials really good quality.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Ya it's a good mechanic I think. I like that the crafting is so detailed.

I'm curious though, any stealth-based bay12ers around? Either Snipers or Assassins?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: [1] 2 3