Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Games about Hierarchies  (Read 1959 times)

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
Games about Hierarchies
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:33:07 am »

I admit that makes me quite the niche gamer, but something I really enjoyed about Solar War was the way you managed the promotion of your naval officers. Smaller ships just needed a CO; larger ships added in XOs, Weapon Officers, etc. Fleets had Admirals. Similarly, this is an aspect of Aurora I enjoy, though it's far looser.

Something that I've always found interesting (and one day I'll probably try to actually do a game design that models this) is how promotion generally means that someone spends less time doing a task they've become effective at, and more time doing new tasks (with an effectiveness that is probably related to, but distinct from, how well they did their previous work).

Is anyone aware of other games where you get to manage promotion and/or org charts? I don't mean a game where a character gets a shiny new title and it has no game effect; the promotion mechanic should have game effects, and an actual hierarchy would be even better.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Games about Hierarchies
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 01:07:01 pm »

Hearts of Iron 2 & 3 and their derivative games probably. Though... You generally don't actually get to promote people all that much, the OOBs are fairly set.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 01:16:15 pm »

Crusader Kings maybe?
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 01:49:06 pm »

Crusader Kings maybe?

I would say for sure.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:57:26 pm »

PTW.

Also, if you're into wargames, Advanced Tactics Gold has OOBs that you set up yourself, with headquarter units forming a hierarchy through which supplies flow, and with some generals that can level up and use special abilities, though I don't think that's a huge part of the game.

The Hegemony series (Gold, Rome and III) have a hierarchy of supplies. It's much more about logistics than it is about specific commanders, but developing a good logistics hierarchy is key to the game. Otherwise all of your troops can starve and become combat ineffective.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 06:08:45 pm »

While I wouldn't actually recommend playing it, Battlemaster has an ok'ish system of promotion going on. It's a text based low-fantasy medieval MMO, with a lot of it based politically and roleplaying wise, and who's king/duke/lord/knight actually matters a bit, as well as other things like grand marshal, marshal, banker and judge also available.

Since it's a turn-based MMO (2 turns a day), fairly politically based on jockeying for position, and there's real people involved, it can become quite the clusterfuck with people ignoring orders, missing turns, completely towing the kingdom's line, or just doing whatever they want.

I'm not suggesting you play it (I left in disgust eventually), but it is a good example of hierarchies in a game.

((dammit. Now I kinda want to play again. Maybe if I just played on Dwilight, with no aspirations of power at all, and barely bothered RPing, it wouldn't annoy me so much))
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:18:06 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 09:53:43 pm »

While I wouldn't actually recommend playing it, Battlemaster has an ok'ish system of promotion going on. It's a text based low-fantasy medieval MMO, with a lot of it based politically and roleplaying wise, and who's king/duke/lord/knight actually matters a bit, as well as other things like grand marshal, marshal, banker and judge also available.

Since it's a turn-based MMO (2 turns a day), fairly politically based on jockeying for position, and there's real people involved, it can become quite the clusterfuck with people ignoring orders, missing turns, completely towing the kingdom's line, or just doing whatever they want.

I'm not suggesting you play it (I left in disgust eventually), but it is a good example of hierarchies in a game.

((dammit. Now I kinda want to play again. Maybe if I just played on Dwilight, with no aspirations of power at all, and barely bothered RPing, it wouldn't annoy me so much))
Heh. I did a few years, ultimately rising to General and, I think, King, before deciding that volunteer organizations with little accountability in competition with each other was a little too much of my work life and not enough game. :-)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 10:53:12 pm »

Heh. I did a few years, ultimately rising to General and, I think, King, before deciding that volunteer organizations with little accountability in competition with each other was a little too much of my work life and not enough game. :-)

It's a funny feeling when you finally cross that threshold, innit.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 11:35:16 pm »

Dominions 4 sort of but not really has hierarchies, as your generals and casters get more potential and leadership ability with more experience. You'll spend a bit of time every few turns managing which generals should lead which armies and who gets what, but there is no solid hierarchy system, other than what you, yourself, put in.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

gamerscout

• Bay Watcher
  • Warrior of the lurker army
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 06:45:53 am »

I would suggest Advanced Tactics. It has a hierarchy for the commanders of units and unit groups and you can even get the company's earlier game People's Tactics for free on their site which plays similar to Advanced.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 09:28:03 am »

I would suggest Advanced Tactics. It has a hierarchy for the commanders of units and unit groups and you can even get the company's earlier game People's Tactics for free on their site which plays similar to Advanced.
Hm. I bought Advanced Tactics Gold a year or two ago, and found the interface difficult to get into. I'll give it another whirl.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 09:45:25 am »

People's Tactics is interesting, but I find it difficult to do more then spam endless amounts of light infantry because you only have one unit-producing town in the first two scenarios, and its impossible to keep up with your losses.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 10:36:12 am »

Hm. I bought Advanced Tactics Gold a year or two ago, and found the interface difficult to get into. I'll give it another whirl.

Definitely worth looking into YT let's plays. That's how I learnt most of it.

Also, the game absurdly heavily favors defense. That means that unless you are attacking at like, 3:1 or 4:1 odds, you're likely to get trounced.

But yeah, that interface though. I apparently spent 7h in-game, but I can't remember having done that much gameplay ;D