Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: migrating raw changes to new versions of DF  (Read 1160 times)

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
migrating raw changes to new versions of DF
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:17:10 pm »

I'm just wondering what tools or techniques everyone uses to migrate their changes to the raws to a new version of DF? Just copying the changes over by hand is ok when you only have a few changes, but as the number of changes grows, it becomes increasingly tedious to do that way. So I'm looking for suggestions from those who have worked with far more substantial mods than anything I've tried yet.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: migrating raw changes to new versions of DF
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 01:54:05 am »

WinMerge lets you export the differences it detects between two sets of files (say, vanilla raws and Phoebus-imbued raws) into a "recipe" that GNU utilities can understand and then automatically apply.

Or if you don't have one of those handy, manually doing that shit in WinMerge needs three keys. Alt+Down to skip down to the next detected discrepancy, Alt-Right to copy it across.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 06:13:14 am »

Can't agree more about WinMerge. I migrate a load of personal changes between versions.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 09:34:32 am »

this thread is relevant to my interests.

I'm probably going to go from .40.16 to .40.19 in a while. And I am, as usual, modding the game to my tastes.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 11:03:23 am »

On Linux, I'm using meld for the most part. I also wrote a python script meant as an options script, but which also helps with the repetitive/predictable mass of changes to the raws I make in my mod(s), such as changing hoof type.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 11:10:07 am »

Thanks to all who gave suggestions. I'll definitely give WinMerge a try the next time I try moving my changes to a new release.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 11:29:22 am »

On Linux, I'm using meld for the most part. I also wrote a python script meant as an options script, but which also helps with the repetitive/predictable mass of changes to the raws I make in my mod(s), such as changing hoof type.
Can you post the script somewhere? So far I've used kdiff3, but that doesn't do scripts. Regex I assume?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 01:37:41 pm »

I might be misreading your meaning, but the python script is independent of any diff utility. Also, I'm not quite sure about my code - it does what it is supposed to do, but I'm not convinced that it is the best way that python can do it. But yes, regexes are involved at some points.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 10:10:04 pm »

WinMerge is a great intro easy merge tool, good to learn on.  Start there.

TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit both have good free merge tools, relatively easy to use.  A decent alternative to WinMerge.

Once you're comfortable with those, KDiff3 is far more capable, and can do a Triple-Diff, which gets best results.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And all of these are meant to compare any text file, so concerns about "cant do script" or "cant do *.txt files" are misinformed.
They'll all do just fine with DF's raw.txt files.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 08:19:35 am »

And all of these are meant to compare any text file, so concerns about "cant do script" or "cant do *.txt files" are misinformed.
They'll all do just fine with DF's raw.txt files.
Was anyone concerned about that?
Direforged Original
Castle Otu