Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: You Only Build Once  (Read 19020 times)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: You Only Build Once
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 01:03:29 am »

NEW RULE #4:  All fortresses must pay a tribute of 10,000 urist times the number of years the fort has existed to the mountainhome each Fall.  If the fortress cannot pay the tribute for any reason (including the death of the traders coming on or going off the map, there is no trade depot, etc) the fortress is considered a failure and must be abandoned.

Before Abandon: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10235

After Abandon: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10236
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:23:44 pm by Tacomagic »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 01:58:54 am »

Now I am confused. Can you further define the "You Only Build Once" rule? Does that mean we can only start one fortress but play as many adventurers as we wish? How exactly do you define 'build'?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 02:17:46 am »

That 'tribute' rule means things just got a lot harder.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 03:09:40 am »

Now I am confused. Can you further define the "You Only Build Once" rule?
I think your questions are pretty much covered by the 'Explanatory details' section. Everything that is not forbidden in there is permissible.

Does that mean we can only start one fortress but play as many adventurers as we wish?
You can build more than one fortress. What you can't do it reclaim or unretire a player fortress or reclaim or unretire a world-gen fortress that a player has built in.

How exactly do you define 'build'?
Loosely. :P

The long and the short of it is that I'm using this thread to produce test cases for bug 8362. The law is there to protect players from the multiple crashes that occur sometime after unretiring a player fortress.

I hope that makes things clear.

It sure did. I will forgo further comment until whenever I take a turn (which is not yet).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:13:48 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 09:43:35 am »

It's rather doable... provided you actually get immigrents.  For whatever reason I never got a single immigrant wave; it might have had something to do with starting in Summer, I'm not sure, didn't even get any messages saying that there were no migrants that season.  Checked my d_init, and it's fine, so it was just weird.  Made things prohibitively hard with just seven dwarves and only 1 1/2 seasons to put together the tribute.  Had I either gotten immigrants or started in Spring, it wouldn't have been a problem.  C'est la vie.

I had plenty of wealth to get the first tribute actually paid with enough left over to actually do some trading, just didn't have enough hauling labor to get it all to the depot in a timely manner.

It didn't help that the only dwarf with appraisal skill decided to take a nap right as my haulers finally started getting enough goods to the depot.

It might be worthwhile to pro-rate the first year's tribute based on when the player starts.  Start in limestone and add 1k to the tribute value for every month before limestone that a player starts, maxing out at 10k if they start in the beginning of winter or before.  That should account for the different starting times.  From there, 10k is added to that value each year.  That would make the first year less punishing for those who don't get a full year to make tribute.

The other thing I didn't do was build trap weapons.  If I'd done that, getting the tribute together would have been a cake-walk.  A handful of silver spiked balls would have paid the whole thing off without a sweat.  Since I don't normally use trap weapons as a trade good, I didn't even think of using them until after my turn was already over.  Woops.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:00:48 am by Tacomagic »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 10:27:45 am »

Also of note: Beyond a certain piont in the game you lose the ability to make offerings to trade caravans.  In leiu of being able to do that, you can instead make a lopsided trade for a useless craft item.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 01:12:03 pm »

I'm going to take my hero adventurer out for a spin again. And I'm making my rule at the start of my turn, instead of the end.

RULE 5: A player who ends this Age of Roc and Desert Titan by killing both the Desert Titan and the Roc shall be granted exemption from Rule 4

That should stir things up. :P
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:39:45 pm by ptb_ptb »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 01:19:50 pm »

I'm going to take my hero adventurer out for a spin again. And I'm making my rule at the start of my turn, instead of the end.

RULE 5: A player who ends this Age of Roc and Desert Titan by killing both the Desert Titan and the/a Roc shall be granted exemption from Rule 4

That should stir things up. :P

Does that have to be accomplished in the same turn with the same character, or does it only need to be the same player across any number of turns?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 02:31:10 pm »

Does that have to be accomplished in the same turn with the same character, or does it only need to be the same player across any number of turns?
It doesn't say, so any number of turns as long as it's the same player. You could sabotage it by killing one of the two then deliberately not targetting the other. ;)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 02:42:10 pm »

It doesn't say, so any number of turns as long as it's the same player. You could sabotage it by killing one of the two then deliberately not targetting the other. ;)

Bwehehe!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 04:06:51 pm »

Solon Rimearths the Cold Pleats / Solon Tiristber Nekikudist from Lashedurdim

51 Sandstone 26th

I returned from the kobold camp to receive my honor name. Now known as Solon Rimearths the Cold Pleats it is time to set out again. It seems like only yesterday I first set out, starting from this very same hall of statues.

The statues haven't changed, but I have. My travels and training have left me stronger, faster, and tougher.

I must not let myself become prideful, though. I know that there are challenges out there that outpower me as a dog outpowers a flea. So, like a flea, I must be careful not to be seen - to take what I will silently lest I be crushed. Before I leave I must lighten my load in order to be a swift as I can. Perhaps I will come back for something here someday, perhaps someone else will find a worthy use for them.

I also refresh my memory on rumours of monsters and villains. Olin, an axedwarf, chooses to follow me on my travels.

I come across a strange tower a day's walk or so to the west. Suddenly, undead! (X_X)

Save file: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10239
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:12:46 pm by ptb_ptb »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 04:23:58 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater. I forgot to claim a site when I played an adventurer in turn 5.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 11:24:45 pm »

Downloading now.  If you liked my last rule, you'll love my next rule.  Actually, it's the start of a more complex, multi-part rule so it'll take a few turns to flesh it out.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 11:30:43 pm »

I didn't like your last rule. Does that mean that I will like this even less?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 11:34:01 pm »

I didn't like your last rule. Does that mean that I will like this even less?
Yes.  Probably.

EDIT:
Woops, forgot you can only have one retired character per site.  I'm ending my turn now without doing anything or making a rule because I just accidentally deleted ptb_ptb's character when I retired at the same location.

Guess you're all spared from my crazy rules for one more day.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:28:30 am by Tacomagic »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9